Atyclb

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

julesz

Babyface
Just out of intereset and what COBL said about the album in ln the last post to a soundtrack what are your top three u albums and why. I love the intelligent, soulful postings on this forum so it would be great to know your thoughts. Either track by track or album to album. As i said earlier ATYCLB has to just edge out HTDAAB in my top three. It just seems so soulful, alive and melodic, i love the Boston gig on Video, i'm gonna watch it now on bank holiday monday here in england. I especially love their version of Kite and in a little while and the words that precede that song, Just beautiful. Take care - Jules

Welcome Jules! :wave:

For me Achtung, Baby! is my favourite, followed by JT, and then ATYCLB.

For me these three just combine terrific, amazing lyrics with melodious, meaningful songs.

:heart:

Hey COBL
Great to hear from you again. Those are my top three too. I love the contrast between the Joshua Tree and Achtung Baby. I think of for example playing streets and and then the heavy industrial crunch of Zoo station. To my ears they're both equally inspiring in different ways. Streets just has those huge shudders go up my spine and my eyes begin to fill, specially in a live context, what an amazing experience. While i also love the imagery of Zoo station of the protagonist crawling around amongst all the trash to find something of beauty and worth amongst that.
I also find their different reading of In a Little While on the Boston Gig, what a performance.
What's your real name if that's not too impolite a question?
take care - Jules

I'd have to say that my top 3 album are Pop, the Joshua Tree, and then ATYCLB respectively at the moment.

I htink these albums are all filled with soulish, emotional vocals and great melodies and music. But my top 3 changes monthly or so, so its hard to say if things will remain taht way.

I listened to a remixed version with some demos & such earlier, and I actually quite enjoyed it. Most of the songs I dislike have remixes that fix most of their problems, and I :heart: Beautiful Day, Kite, Wild Honey, When I Look At The World, and even New York. :drool:

I miss Flower Child and Summer Rain though. :grumpy:

4/5 even. They've done better, but certainly worse.

I do like ATYCLB.

Beautiful Day is the greatest song of the century so far, and Walk On, Stuck, Wild Honey, New York, When I Look At The World and Kite are all supreme tunes.

In A Little While and Grace leave a lot to be desired.

How good are some of the tunes left of the album? Summer Rain :drool:

I do reckon it would've been cool if Ground Beneath Her Feet was on the album proper.

As much as I appreciate ATYCLB, it's never been able to infiltrate by top 4 (AB, JT, Pop, UF), and sits at the rather lowly position of 9th out of 11 albums in my reckoning.

alanah said:
I absolutely :love: ATYCLB.
yupyup! =)

"ATYCLB" is going to be my lisence plate when i get my car. hopefully it's not already taken ;] hahahah
and hopefully U2 fans will get it and say hi to me randomly on the streets!

tuwie said:

yupyup! =)

"ATYCLB" is going to be my lisence plate when i get my car. hopefully it's not already taken ;] hahahah

:lol: That's a really good idea.

1.) The Joshua Tree
2-11.) ATYCLB & everything else

Great album though. Walk On, Kite, Beautiful Day, Wild Honey, In A Little While, Elevation = awesome. New York, When I Look At The World, Stuck In A Moment = respectable. Peace On Earth, Grace = meh.

1. Achtung Baby
then the rest. jt has the most market value but i find boy really good . underrated!

I loved ATYCLB when it first came out, fave tracks are walk on, wild honey and in a little while.

I think my top three albums are:
Joshua Tree
ATYCLB
Either Pop or AB, difficult to choose, depends on how I'm feeling at that particular time.

My three favourite albums are:

AB,
Joshua Tree,
HTDAAB (much more consistently brilliant than the remaining albums)

I love the 1st half of ATYCLB but can't stand Wild Honey, Grace, New York, PoE. I think they really dropped the ball with those songs.

tuwie said:

yupyup! =)

That's a good as idea! But it's so much money for plates...

Jules my real name is Daniel, I'm 16. That's me in my pic, I love a good dance. :wink:

Kite, When I Look at the World, The Ground Beneath Her Feet and Stuck are my four favourite songs from the album.

The amount of times Stuck has helped me... :heart:

why does everyone hate wild honey ? think its a really fun song, not saying its a lyrical masterpiece but i think its got more going for it than when i look at the world, or even ground beneath her feet. they tend to make me snooze a little

I like Wild Honey too, it's just something to break up the darkness of the album, a bit of light relief that breezes on by, I like Bono and Edges voices together too, and the harmonies Bono throws in at the end. Like you say its no classic but it serves its purpose, just like Man and a Woman (which i also quite like) on HTDAAB, it's just a quick interlude to lighten the mood, nothing too serious.

My favourites are:

1) ATYCLB
My first U2 album and still the one I come back to the most. I'd concede that the last four songs don't quite match the dream run from Beautiful Day to Wild Honey for me, but I still like them.

2) Unforgettable Fire
I love this album for completely different reasons to ATYCLB - atmosphere and flow rather than songwriting and cathy tunes. I think it's the most dreamlike, "otherworldly" album U2 have made and it always pulls me in.

3) Boy
Not one of their best, but a personal favourite nevertheless. I like its youthful energy and freshness and it always puts a smile on my face.

For the record, I think that in terms of individual songs JT and AB would trump all of the above, but for some reason I just never really got into them on an "album" basis as opposed to loving a few great songs off an album.

My favorites:
Achtung Baby
Joshua Tree/Zooropa/Pop
ATYCLB

The list of my favorite albums changes frequently almost on weekly basis, but AB will prolly always stay on top.
ATYCLB is the first U2 album I got and it's been my favorite for a long time, but then I really got into their 90s stuff. I haven't listed to ATYCLB quite a while but now that summer is coming I listen to it a lot again. I dunno I've always considered it to be a summer album.

1st half of the album until Peace On Earth is great, from this song onwards it's weaker IMHO. Walk on, In A Little While, Wild Honey, Beautiful Day, Elevation and Kite are all amazing.

:hmm: I think ATYCLB will soon switch positions with Pop in my list.

Welcome Julez!

My favourite U2 albums are as follows:

1. Achtung Baby - Also my favourite album of all time. This is simply a perfect combination of innovation and great songwriting. Each track offers something unique, the album flows seamlessly while each song still managing to offer something different from the last. If looking for awesome ballads, look no further than One or So Cruel. If looking for rock, then you don't get much better than Until The End Of The World or Even Better Than The Real Thing. The closing three tracks of the album are so underrated and are in my opinion three of U2's greatest ever songs and also three of the greatest songs of all time. Bono's vocals are terrific here, his voice isn't quite as good as in the mid to late 80's but the restraint he shows here combined with the wonderful falsetto is a joy to behold.

2. The Joshua Tree - What's there to say about this album? It is without a doubt one of the most wonderfully constructed albums of all time. No album flows better than this one and the feeling of being in a desert is captured so well, none mroe so than on the outstanding 'Running to Stand Still.' As well as obviously containing three classic tracks at the start of the album, there are plenty of underrated gems such as the aforementioned 'RTSS', 'Red Hill Mining Town' and the beautiful 'One Tree Hill.' Probably the best album for getting someone into the band.

3. The Unforgettable Fire - Rather underrated, definitely up there with their best work. 'Bad' is the best U2 track of all time, along with 'Stay', and only gets better live. 'A Sort of Homecoming' doesn't get the praise it deserves and would have been a killer single (I think I'm right in saying this wasn't a single? If not I stand corrected). 'The Unforgettable Fire' track is a soaring, melodic piece and contains some of Bono's greatest ever vocals. 'Promenade' is a hidden gem, a track I appreciate more and more after each listen. 'MLK' is a perfect way to close out the album. Could have moved into second place if not for the misstep which was 'Elvis Presley and America', and the fact that '4th of July' is essentially nothing but filler and means the album is only really 9 tracks long.

Honourable mention to Pop, which barely missed out on third place thanks to 'Miami', which is probably U2's worst song of all time. Apart from that the album is terrific, it is the most 'full' sounding album of theirs, after listening to it other albums in their discography can seem light in comparison. 'Discotheque' is a catchy enough song but a poor choice for a fist single, but the album is almost perfect from then on bar 'Miami' and 'The Playboy Mansion' (fun, silly song, but nothing too special).

1. JT - the imagery, the lyrics and the soundscapes. You'd think the album can't keep up after *that* opening trio of songs but it does. It's so strong you can skip the first 5,6 songs and it's still strong.

2. AB - again, lyrics and the sounds. "One" is probably, to date, the U2 song that can measure up to the classics of the 80's. It's like the personal, heart-breaking yin to JT's universal, spiritual yang.

3. UF/War - both showing all the political/spiritual/romantic elements of U2. Maybe a slight nudge to UF as it sounds less dated.

1. Zooropa - Three of my all-time favorite U2 songs are on this, and at least 6 are stone-cold classics in my eyes. The ambiance and sequencing is brilliant, and I can easily call this the band's peak.

2. Joshua Tree - The most consistently great thing the band ever did. The second half is twice as good as the first half, which just shows that the band was indeed firing on all cylinders at this point. Red Hill Mining Town, TTYW, Running To Stand Still, One Tree Hill, In God's Country... :drool: :drool: :drool:

3. Pop - Some of the band's strangest and ballsiest experiments are here, but what really makes this a classic are the lyrics. People may harp on about how great AB is lyrically, but, outside of So Cruel, there's, lyrically, nothing on AB that can touch songs like Please, Wake Up Dead Man (Love Is Blindness done properly :up: ), Do You Feel Loved, and Gone. Pop is definitely wow-worthy.

Back
Top Bottom