atu2.com inteview with Steve Lillywhite on the "War" album

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I loved this quotation:
Matt McGee: How much talk was there about finding a hit single or having the album be a breakthrough on the charts?

Steve Lillywhite: Absolutely none! Absolutely no talk whatsoever, and never on any of the first three albums. There was no talk of what's going to be the radio song? Never! It was art. We were making music.

I wish U2 would go back to this frame of mind. It seems to be going that way for the latest sessions, but I'm really worried Bono is gonna pull more nonsense and get afraid of not being "big" in some superficial sense and the band will sell out again.

nathan1977 said:
Any particular reason for the dislike?
He comes off as so nice on the main page, but if you ever participate in the forum, he's incredibly rude to anyone criticizing U2. He basically makes it his mission to denigrate you at every turn. He makes it a rule that people can't be rude and then violates his rules arbitrarily and allows his right-wing harassing moderators to violate that at every turn. Lots of censorship about what they arbitrarily don't like and then they allow people to bully fair-minded U2 critics. It's disgusting. I was always nice to people there, but the guy trumped up some charge to kick me off the site. Incredibly mean-spirited, condescending guy. Lots of people have been kicked off the site by him.

He loves telling U2 fans that they should never complain or "have the arrogance" to say what they want from the next U2 album; they should just accept it because that's U2's business. Very fascistic and phonily reverential. Worst moderator ever.

The rest of the staff seem like nice people, though, and Kelly Eddington's cartoons "Achtoon Baby" are absolutely hilarious.

Last edited:
Muldfeld said:
I loved this quotation:
Matt McGee: How much talk was there about finding a hit single or having the album be a breakthrough on the charts?

Steve Lillywhite: Absolutely none! Absolutely no talk whatsoever, and never on any of the first three albums. There was no talk of what's going to be the radio song? Never! It was art. We were making music.

I wish U2 would go back to this frame of mind. It seems to be going that way for the latest sessions, but I'm really worried Bono is gonna pull more nonsense and get afraid of not being "big" in some superficial sense and the band will sell out again.
QUOTE]

I couldn't agree more. I really don't see why on earth they couldn't do as they did 25 years ago. They didn't have money back then when they recorded War, and neverthless they didn't try to make catchy mainstream radio-friendly singles. They were creating MUSIC.

Now, with ALL the huge amount of cash they have, they can't get out of the "biggest band in the world" claim, and they seems desperate to make #1 singles to make even more and more money. Why?.
:(

Muldfeld said:
I loved this quotation:

He comes off as so nice on the main page, but if you ever participate in the forum, he's incredibly rude to anyone criticizing U2. He basically makes it his mission to denigrate you at every turn. He makes it a rule that people can't be rude and then violates his rules arbitrarily and allows his right-wing harassing moderators to violate that at every turn. Lots of censorship about what they arbitrarily don't like and then they allow people to bully fair-minded U2 critics. It's disgusting. I was always nice to people there, but the guy trumped up some charge to kick me off the site. Incredibly mean-spirited, condescending guy. Lots of people have been kicked off the site by him.

He loves telling U2 fans that they should never complain or "have the arrogance" to say what they want from the next U2 album; they should just accept it because that's U2's business. Very fascistic and phonily reverential. Worst moderator ever.

The rest of the staff seem like nice people, though, and Kelly Eddington's cartoons "Achtoon Baby" are absolutely hilarious.

Interesting, considering how much negativity about U2 the site is spreading these days.

last unicorn said:
Interesting, considering how much negativity about U2 the site is spreading these days.

They are? Negative how?

I absolutely love the Achtoons - they're hilarious and so well done.

It's just the way they like to run their site. Less noise and arguing.

I have "know" Matt since about 1991 and he is a great guy. Sounds like you were causing problems and they squashed you...

Back
Top Bottom