Attn: ATYCLB Lovers...Now do you understand!?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
U2girl said:

Exactly, that's why they stopped fiddling with effects...

...wait till you listen to the new album;)

The main problem with ATYCLB is that it has two producers, but those 11 songs don't make "an album" - as a whole...

...while Pop and HTDAAB, both have like 20 producers and still the songs (while everyone of them diferent from eachother) are making great !albums! with a theme, ideas... not like ATYCLB with variously chosen songs that (even if good or great alone) are not good on one album...

Let's face it...

90% of ATYCLB lovers:
1.hated/semi-liked/were neutral towards Zooropa and Pop
OR
2. were new U2 fans

90% of ATYCLB haters:
Loved Zooropa and Pop and "got it" right away with the direction U2 were going

THUS, with HTDAAB:
ATYCLB lovers: No qualms about the new album and love it but are offended with all this ripping of the previous album; also, they may even like ATYCLB better than HTDAAB

ATYCLB haters:
1. Like/Love the new album because it has moved away from the "pop music" style of ATYCLB
OR
2. Neutral/dissappointed by the new album because it hasn't moved back to the Zooropa and Pop mentality and still has some elements of ATYCLB style; also they may be dissatisfied because it doesn't "rock" like everyone promised

OVERALL, U2 fans are more united with this album.

Re: Let's face it...

Quinthopper said:
90% of ATYCLB lovers:
OR
2. were new U2 fans

90% of ATYCLB haters:

Many Zooropa/Pop haters "got it", but thought it sucked.

THUS, with HTDAAB:
ATYCLB lovers: No qualms about the new album and love it but are offended with all this ripping of the previous album; also, they may even like ATYCLB better than HTDAAB

ATYCLB haters:
1. Like/Love the new album because it has moved away from the "pop music" style of ATYCLB
OR
2. Neutral/dissappointed by the new album because it hasn't moved back to the Zooropa and Pop mentality and still has some elements of ATYCLB style; also they may be dissatisfied because it doesn't "rock" like everyone promised

OVERALL, U2 fans are more united with this album.

djerdap said:

HTDAAB is a better album. It has no crap like POE and Grace. It has no badly mixed songs, overreacted production or cheesy, lyrically disastrous songs like Elevation. It has classics. Walk On and Kite evolved live and I think that was the time when they became classics. In my opinion, HTDAAB already has six of them.

:drool: :sexywink: :heart: :up: :dance:

Interesting. I became a u2 fan with Pop and I absolutely adore that album. However, ATYCLB has alot of songs that speak to me as well. I haven't heard all of the new one yet, but already have collapsed in tears to the tune of Miracle drug. It looks like I'm in the 10 percent....

bathiu said:

The main problem with ATYCLB is that it has two producers, but those 11 songs don't make "an album" - as a whole...

...while Pop and HTDAAB, both have like 20 producers and still the songs (while everyone of them diferent from eachother) are making great !albums! with a theme, ideas... not like ATYCLB with variously chosen songs that (even if good or great alone) are not good on one album...

Unlike its two predecessors, ATYCLB knows what it wants to achieve and does so very well for the most part.

Zoomerang96: I don't think so. You can not accuse U2 of overly wanting to be popular, not since 87.

Re: Let's face it...

Quinthopper said:
90% of ATYCLB lovers:
OR
2. were new U2 fans

90% of ATYCLB haters:

Except the ATYCLB lovers don't get a nervous breakdown on a regular basis and bash Zooropa and Pop.

U2girl said:

Unlike its two predecessors, ATYCLB knows what it wants to achieve and does so very well for the most part.

...oh... you probably mean number of sold albums...
...you should've said that at the beggining... in this case I agree with you, ATYCLB is their ONLY record that from the begining to an end "knows what it wants to achieve"... and was made with only one purpose->$$$$$

U2girl said:
Except the ATYCLB lovers don't get a nervous breakdown on a regular basis and bash Zooropa and Pop.
...that's because there is nothing to "bash" on those albums:wink:
(unfortunatly, you can't say that about ATYCLB:yuck: )

Nevermind, U2 saw their mistake and made HTDAAB... what's the point in arguing now?

Um, no. I was referring to "11 singles" and "soul/pop" album vibe that ATYCLB was surrounded with.
Are you jealous that it outsold both Zooropa and Pop, why is it such an issue for you that it did well commercially?

:laugh: If U2 wanted to make money all they'd have to do was keep making JT part II. And they would not wait 3-4 years to make an album.

JT, R/H and AB and the first Best of sold more copies - are you saying they were also all about making money?

Right, the untouchable Zooropa and Pop. :rolleyes:
According to both critics and the band itself, Pop WAS the only mistake.

Last edited:
U2girl said:
(1)...why is it such an issue for you that it did well commercially?

(2)Right, the untouchable Zooropa and Pop. :rolleyes:
According to both critics and the band itself, Pop WAS the only mistake.

1) that's not an issue for me... but that it was made with a purpose to "do well commercially" is a huge issue for me... (can you see the diference?)

2) :rolleyes: hmm... Zooropa got a grammy and lots of other awards... just like ATYCLB... can't see your point here...
AND Pop was named "a mistake" (actualy "not finished") only by Larry, but he is a Elvis and country music fan... and if I remember corectly he was only happy with JT and R&H... so his opinion isn't much for me, sorry. Pop did very well everywhere except U.S.
...like I care about it... unfortunetly the band did care... :(

And if you realy want to talk about album sales, I sugest: ignore the numbers from U.S. for a minute and you'll see that there are almost no diferences between the albums... then you'll realize that ATYCLB was made only to please american market... and that's sad for me.

What I do respect in this band is that after making well with ATYCLB... or "returning back" to the "mainstream"... they didn't play safe this time and released HTDAAB.
And for that: "A big thank you" to the band. :)

1) Sure seems to bug you though. There isn't really much difference to me, no. U2 has been a part of the mainstream starting with JT and making money is a part of making music if that's what you do for a living. That said, you are mistaken if you think money was ever the no.1 motivation for them.

2)
Well, they were still recording POP when they were already supposed to be rehearsing for the tour - that's a mistake if you ask me, especially considering the infamous fiasco of the opening night of the tour. Bad for a band who's been around this long, especially band well known for its live performances. (the "look" they had didn't help either)
And I don't think Larry was the only one who said that.

US is just as much a market as any else, (btw numbers worldwide don't lie) and it's totally legitimate for any band to make it big there - especially since it's so influential on the rest of the world and kind of hard to break for non American acts.

ATYCLB doesn't really have American sounds except 2 or 3 songs. Safe? I don't really care if it's safe or not, I want good songs and ATYCLB delivered. U2 does albums in trilogies so after the three experimental albums, of course they were going to try something else.

Last edited:
i actually like atyclb. when listening to it i felt as if i was re-living the 80's. i believe that u2 likes to experiment with stlye and are good at it. i havent heard any of their new album as i have to, unfortunatally, have to wait until it is released. every album that the guys have released is extremely different to the one before it. when pop was released i hated it, but it grew on me. but, for me, the best album that they have done is the joshua tree.

U2girl said:
ATYCLB doesn't really have American sounds except 2 or 3 songs. Safe? I don't really care if it's safe or not, I want good songs and ATYCLB delivered.

ATYCLB is the best 5 track EP.... and the worst 11 track LP... sorry.

...and NO, American market isn't like any other... why do you think only few % of those american rap,hiphop,r&b "artists" are present in Europe? There's no need for them! Same goes with European acts (and music styles) in U.S. (not to mention other parts of the world)

bathiu said:

ATYCLB is the best 5 track EP.... and the worst 11 track LP... sorry.

...and NO, American market isn't like any other... why do you think only few % of those american rap,hiphop,r&b "artists" are present in Europe? There's no need for them! Same goes with European acts (and music styles) in U.S. (not to mention other parts of the world)

Your opinion. Not a fact. Zooropa and POP are closer to being good EPs over albums IMO.

Yes and no. It's not because US bands have it a lot easier to be famous in Europe than do non-US bands. It is because, it's still a market like anywhere else.

I don't know about that - haven't heard the album yet - but on U2's albums it often happens previous styles come back. Since the same band made those albums, that's a totally natural thing.

Yes, that's why we should not argue about that...
...and now that I think about it... you'll find some of ATYCLB on HTDAAB (I mean those better pieces of ATYCLB ;) )

:)

I don't know what to expect from this album - the reviews I read on this page mention influences from UF, JT, AB and POP. I certainly didn't expect Vertigo to sound like that.

popsadie said:
Interesting. I became a u2 fan with Pop and I absolutely adore that album. However, ATYCLB has alot of songs that speak to me as well. I haven't heard all of the new one yet, but already have collapsed in tears to the tune of Miracle drug. It looks like I'm in the 10 percent....

No doubt, there are great songs on that album; however, the whole "pop music/adult contemporary (lite rock)" feel of the album is what was disappointing about it. Yes, U2 doing pop music is better than all the crap that's out there, but it's still pop music, nonetheless, and U2 are better than that, I think (as we can all see with the new album). It was quite startling to hear ATYCLB for the first time, 4 years ago after the album came out; it was like "this cannot be U2". I've learned to appreciate the album a great deal and some of the great songs on it; but it is within a different context.

Like Tribune columnist Greg Kot said to me, "it's not an album that will survive the test of time." There are so much better U2 albums out there that this was just a disappointment.

I HTDAAB is here to say we're U2 watch this space we're getting better again and the thing about ATYCLB being a great 5 track Ep it's the best of it's kind ever:wink:

ATYCLB had a terrific opener in Beautiful Day but dove nose down with the Michael Bolton inspired Stuck In An Embarrassment You Can't Get Out Of. HTDAAB on the other hand has an okay opener, kind of a grower I would say, followed by the very nice Miracle Drug. Overall, these 2 albums are so similar, it is not even funny.

Hoodlem said:
The reason we do not care for ATYCLB is not because it is a terrible album (althought it has some annoying moments). The reason people do not care for this album is because we know that U2 is capable of SO MUCH MORE!!! HTDAAB has proven this.

IMO HTDAAB is not perfect but it has the magic that ATYCLB does not. HTDAAB was the album I was expecting 4 years ago. I can barely listen to that album now without feeling embarassed.

Just my thoughts at the moment. Feel free to comment. And I am not trying to offend anyone or tell them they are wrong.

Let me give you my thoughts Mr Hoodlem from Orem Ut.:wink:

Song for song ATYCLB knocks the stuffing out of HTDAAB.

Beautiful Days knocks Vertigo outta the water.
New York trounces Love Peace or Else
Elevation eclcipses Crumbs
When I Look at the World sends Sometimes You Cant Make It running for cover.

Lryically speaking HTDATB is a sophmoric joke.

..do I need to go on here?:angry:

When U2 started out in the late 70s Bono wanted his band to be a global band.
He said he wanted to evenually capture big ideas, sound as sensitive as Neil Young and be as powerful as the Who. It took them 10 years to do that and with JT they finally reached that ambitious goal.:up:

Thru the 1980s U2 was a niche band until Joshua Tree. They were post punk, had religous roots and made endearing interesting rock and roll music. Very powerful and pasionate.

Now this album appears to be a weak attempt to return to the early 1980s music with weaker lyrics than their 1980s songs.

This new albulm is like a 42 yr old man like myself after having been invited to college swim party showing up in Speedo swimtrunks, trying to fit in and look sexy like the rest of the college kids (mimicking myself from 20 yrs. ago). do you get the analogy?

U2 needed to stay the course, but took a wrong turn.I
don't hate all the songs-
YahWeh and
Crumbs are great and I will always be a diehard fan, but this album is too simple for what theyre capable of.

peace,

db9

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom