Attn: ATYCLB Lovers...Now do you understand!?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
cardosino said:

Funny, I've seen plenty of negative comments along the sam elines, including the very phrase "utter shite" a few times in the HTDAAB section posted by others. Still, I'm happy to see we're being well-policed

Sorry, I did not want to come accross as condescending there, I am certainly not in a position to "police" this forum. I guess I for one would have been more welcoming towards your commentary if you provided some reasons as to why you feel that Zooropa and the Popmart tour were "utter shite". :|

Did you ever stop and think that just maybe, ATYCLB gives meaning to HTDAAB? :eyebrow:

(It's just that ATYCLB isn't all that bad. In a little while rocks and the rest just accompanies it. )

U2FAN4LIFE said:

Sorry, I did not want to come accross as condescending there, I am certainly not in a position to "police" this forum. I guess I for one would have been more welcoming towards your commentary if you provided some reasons as to why you feel that Zooropa and the Popmart tour were "utter shite". :|

If I'd said "Popmart was awesome" would you be asking me to explain why ? I was just expressing my opinion, sorry if you took offense.

Wow, this is an interesting and lively conversation. I think that Hoodlem thought we'd all bow down to HTDAAB greatness...however when it is OFFICIALLY released then I'll come back to this thread and give you my opinion. I think it's a little early to crown this album the "King" of all U2 albums. I have only heard Vertigo in its full length, and I love that song and what I've heard of the other songs I agree, could lead me to believe that this is a better album than ATYCLB.

However each album holds a special place in my heart and ATYCLB is no different. Whether or not you liked it or thought it lived up to "your" standards is your opinion, and your opinion only. I love this album because it brought U2 back to the forefront of the music industry, and made them viable and relevant after taking their lumps with Pop and Popmart. Sure the songs are a bit "adult-contemporary," but who else could deliver those songs with passion of U2 and get away with it? No one could.

Each album is different and U2 continues to amazeg and change before your and my very eyes. Thank God for that, I say. Someday we'll be able to say we saw the greatest band in Rock History, no doubt. And you know the older you get you'll appreciate that for which you either took for granted or didn't see the full potential of. ATYCLB is a deep and meaningful album, maybe not what you wanted at the time, but great none-the-less.

I look forward to hearing and dissecting HTDAAB and letting it envelope me like ATYCLB. I'm sure it will.

Last edited:
Would we even have HTDAAB if it wasn't for ATYCLB. I loved ATYCLB it put U2 back on top and gave us Beautiful Day, Elevation, Stuck In A Moment and Walk On. Not to mention all the awards, the millions of copies sold and the Elevation Tour. ATYCLB will always be a very special album. If the new album goes half as well I'll be a happy man.

C'mon you guys, ATYCLB is not their best work but just like every other U2 album it offered us some great U2 classics such as Kite, Stuck In A Moment, Walk On... I must also say that I like Pop for Gone, Staring At The Sun, Wake Up Dead Man, Velvet Dress, Do You Feel Loved.
I have been listening to HTDAAB for a while and I like it more and more. There are some great tunes and time will tell which songs will stand out from these 11 on the album and if this will turn out to be their third masterpiece.

U2 are like fine wine, improving with age.

Remember when ATYCLB came out, it shut up all the POP lovers and made POP look like an ant standing next to a giant.

Now that HTDAAB comes out, it easily dwarfs ATYCLB.

So it looks like U2 are on the upward flight again. Its a natural progression for shit-good-great, or Pop-ATYCLB-HTDAAB. Imporvement at this age, not bad for a band over 40.

Cheers,

J

U2FAN4LIFE said:
:shame: take a look around, you're in a U2 forum... opinions are great but to say that something U2 has done was an "unmitigated disaster" or "utter shite" as if these were facts is probably not welcome.

Yes, this is a U2 forum, but you haven't been around here long enough- there has been plenty of bashing of Pop, and ATYCLB, in the past.

Yep - I'll join the group that has no idea of what you speak.

I adore ATYCLB. It has some brilliant moments - some of U2's best.

HTDAAB has 6-7 songs I adore and 4-5 very mediocre songs (I'm still debating on one).

Therefore, don't you dare tell me that ATYCLB is worse than this new album. Music is far too subjective for anyone to make that declaration.

for the most part, it sounds like u2 didn't try to make a bunch of songs to get played on the radio unlike last time...

The beauty of this band is that they strive to evolve.
Enjoy each album for what it is.
It is unfair to rank them.

jick said:
shit-good-great -> Pop-ATYCLB-HTDAAB

Cheers,

J

...small mistake you have there...

It should be:
Pop-ATYCLB-HTDAAB -> good-shit-great

...and it's not called "improving with age" or "natural progresion"!
It's called "learning from your own mistakes"... or "good bye ATYCLB"!

bathiu said:

...small mistake you have there...

It should be:
Pop-ATYCLB-HTDAAB -> good-shit-great

...and it's not called "improving with age" or "natural progresion"!
It's called "learning from your own mistakes"... or "good bye ATYCLB"!

Thanks for giving me a great laugh!

Cheers,

J

bathiu said:

"learning from your own mistakes"

Exactly, that's why they stopped fiddling with effects and got back to what they do best - write good music.

Zoomerang96 said:
for the most part, it sounds like u2 didn't try to make a bunch of songs to get played on the radio unlike last time...

:) U2 was always about NOT being in the mainstream and not wanting to be popular right?

Most of the songs from ATYCLB are actually pretty strong and hold up well, especially live. In A Little While and POE have definitely improved with age. But for those fans who were disappointed by ATYCLB (a great title, BTW), it probably had more to do with the album itself: it seemed overproduced and a little too slick even for a "mega-band" like U2.

When the band went back and re-released and re-mixed some of the songs for that U2 7 EP, the songs (notably the single version of Walk On, which was the arrangement they used live) were stronger. What is appealing to some U2 fans about Zooropa and Pop is there's a certain rawness about them that doesn't seem so fussed over in the studio.

They are a rock band, first and foremost. They shouldn't be putting out studio-slick albums a la Whitney Houston or Britney Spears. It doesn't have to be lo-fi. It's just U2's at its best when they sound natural and as close to spontaneous as possible.

:confused:
Zooropa and Pop raw? The albums where they used most studio trickery and effects and put layers on guitar (the only album where I can't stand the sound of Edge's guitar is Pop)? Even playing around with Bono's voice?
There's a reason why they didn't play Zooropa songs after that tour; they were too complicated.

ATYCLB sounds like a live album compared to those two. (I thought single version of Walk on killed the song, by taking out the acoustic guitar and solo, and instead opted for the Halleluiahs)

i dont know about you guys but i feel this album is VERY experimental.. you might be able to feel elements of previous albums in this one, but when it comes together it really feels like another attempt at Zooropa/Pop, except that they did it right (not that Pop was bad, the mixes didn't show the full potential of the songs like the live versions did)

doctorwho said:

Therefore, don't you dare tell me that ATYCLB is worse than this new album. Music is far too subjective for anyone to make that declaration.

HTDAAB is a better album. It has no crap like POE and Grace. It has no badly mixed songs, overreacted production or cheesy, lyrically disastrous songs like Elevation. It has classics. Walk On and Kite evolved live and I think that was the time when they became classics. In my opinion, HTDAAB already has six of them.

Back
Top Bottom