Attention! Fan Reaction Article For "Vertigo"

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Not new musical grounds indeed, but it is a very energetic U2. You can hear they are ready to rock again. And after all, its just an introduction to the new album. The song has to be short for radio airplay en has to kick in from the start. I think they succeeded with that.

"Hello, Hello (Hola, Hola)"

It's hard to explain, it sounds like things U2 have done before but yet at the same time it's completely new. It's hard to explain really.

MrBrau1 said:

I think you're right. But I don't think they were trying to reinvent the wheel on this one. It's a good little throwaway rock song. I think U2's "experimental" days may be behind them. They're just going to be a band that writes and records good songs. I'm fine with that. There's more than enough whacked out shit in their back catalog.

I agree. They really had to release a winner with Beautiful Day on the last album to bring back the 'harder to reach' crowd. They don't have to do this with the upcoming album. I bet there will be 4,5 or maybe even 6 better songs on this album. good start though.

I'm confused by those who don't like, though I appreciate the honesty. I think's it's got the rough energy of a White Stripes/Jet/Black Rebel song but a real classic pop hook in there that seems to recall—brace yerself—the supremes' "keep me hangin' on"

As the weak spots flesh out for me, I'm beginning to think it's among U2's best ever. Easily a big radio hit.

I have a feeling that this album will be for U2 in 2004 what Achtung Baby was for them in 1991. A really good album with dark tones, heavy songs, and just from start to finish- GOOD. But where Achtung Baby had a euro thrash feel to it infused with dance beats, this album will be all out ballsy ROCK AND ROLL.

MrBrau1 said:

I think you're right. But I don't think they were trying to reinvent the wheel on this one. It's a good little throwaway rock song. I think U2's "experimental" days may be behind them. They're just going to be a band that writes and records good songs. I'm fine with that. There's more than enough whacked out shit in their back catalog.

Hmm, I'm a little amazed that someone can settle with "a good little throwaway rock song". I mean this is U2! The band that wrote Pride, The Fly, Bullet, Stay, The Blue Sky, One, Streets just to mention a few... How come is "Vertigo" sonsidered "enough" for bleeding sake? Well, maybe my expectations are too high. But CAN they be when we´re talking U2? I mean U-2? The Elite? The Superkids? The Best band in the world?...

Sorry...I better get some sleep I can only hope a miracle will happen during the night... and that I actually love the song the minute I wake up

Last edited:
LPU2 said:
I'm confused by those who don't like, though I appreciate the honesty. I think's it's got the rough energy of a White Stripes/Jet/Black Rebel song but a real classic pop hook in there that seems to recall—brace yerself—the supremes' "keep me hangin' on"

As the weak spots flesh out for me, I'm beginning to think it's among U2's best ever. Easily a big radio hit.

I don't share your sentiment on the 'best ever' comment, but I do agree it will be a radio hit. Just look at whats out there!!! But when a band of this caliber releases new material, it will always be compared to their previous work. Rarely does a band like U2 EVER win this battle, but it doesn't mean it isn't good, or that the album isn't good....we won't know till Nov.22.

"I can feel your love teaching me
Aaahhhhh-aaahhh-aaahhh-aaahhh...
Your love is teaching me
Aaahhhhh-aaahhh-aaahhh-aaahhh...
How to kneel, kneel"

doesn't anyone see the connection with 'Beautiful Day'? its kinda cool, in BD hes asking someone to touch him, teach him, take him to another place, and in 'Vertigo' he is at another place (a place called vertigo), and he is feeling that someone's love is teaching him

oh yeah, also, the main guitar riff at the start reminds me majorly of lady with the spinning head (on the b-side of the best of 1990-2000)

Last edited:
Oh...one more thing. That underlying vocal (yeah that's right?) reminds me of what the Clash and the Alarm used to do a lot.

elevation said:

Hmm, I'm a little amazed that someone can settle with "a good little throwaway rock song". I mean this is U2! The band that wrote Pride, The Fly, Bullet, Stay, The Blue Sky, One, Streets just to mention a few... How come is "Vertigo" sonsidered "enough" for bleeding sake? Well, maybe my expectations are too high. But CAN they be when we´re talking U2? I mean U-2? The Elite? The Superkids? The Best band in the world?...

Sorry...I better get some sleep I can only hope a miracle will happen during the night... and that I actually love the song the minute I wake up

If you expect every song U2 record to be "Biblical", you'll no doubt be let down by Vertigo. REM put "Stand" and "World Leader Pretend" on the same album. Springsteen put "Born In The USA" and "Glory Days" on the same album. It's not the first time a classic artist has put out a song just because it sounds good/fun.The'll be plenty of "deep" meat on the bones of this album. This is just the beginning.

Last edited:
Listen to the song without listening to it through a microscope people(I know, bad euphamism). Listen to what is clearly obvious, listen to the Edge driving guitar, listen to Bono's belting chorus, listen to the bridge and the chaotic part that happens about 1:47 into the song, listen to the mellow break. The song is great, it has impact, it's 3:11 of ROCKING bliss. It hits you and then it's done. I bet almost everyone who is listening to the radio today that hears the song is probably saying "Wow, is that U2?"

Where in the rule books does it say that U2 have to have an introspective super experimental first single? No need to go digging through the lyrics in order to find some sort of supereme message or answer to life.

I don't think of this song as a throw away song at all. I think this song is a 3:11 missle fired at people that thought U2 were adult contemporary after ATYCLB.

Last edited:
I love it...It really is a mix of the old and the new like nothing before - there's so much that instantly reminds me of Boy from this song. - Bono's "feee-eee-eel" and the Edge's chiming riff in the middle mostly, but it doesn't feel like they're going backwards. I've never loved any song right from the start like this one... (although i have to admit I've never been so completely determined to love a song before either ;))

okay, it IS rocking....I like the driving bass and the tone is a hell of a lot better than ATYCLB but it is somewhat dead in the water. The chorus is too Elevation-y and the song sort of sounds like an amalgamation of garage rock and pop-era U2 rock.

I appreciate the energy in the backing vocals and the guitar.

but it is no better than beautiful day

The Sage said:
I love it...It really is a mix of the old and the new like nothing before - there's so much that instantly reminds me of Boy from this song. - Bono's "feee-eee-eel" and the Edge's chiming riff in the middle mostly, but it doesn't feel like they're going backwards. I've never loved any song right from the start like this one... (although i have to admit I've never been so completely determined to love a song before either ;))

is it only me that hears the (guitar) start of Pride at the start of this awesome opener ?

mike

mikeuk said:

is it only me that hears the (guitar) start of Pride at the start of this awesome opener ?

mike

There's so much going on in the song, so much I could say about it but i'm not going to write an essay bacause I want to dedicate my full concentration to listening to a certain new song... :wink:

starsgoblue said:
They aren't going to just dismantle the atomic bomb....they are going to make the thing EXPLODE!! This is so fresh....it's just beautiful!

yaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaahhhh- so right, swinging to the rhythm, swinging to the music, waiting for the concert................

Mike

I can't get any work done. I've been playing Vertigo over and over. Edge's guitar rips with the power of a chainsaw and the precision of a scalpel. :up:

*Hmm, I'm a little amazed that someone can settle with "a good *little throwaway rock song". I mean this is U2! The band that *wrote Pride, The Fly, Bullet, Stay, The Blue Sky, One, Streets just *to mention a few... How come is "Vertigo" sonsidered "enough" *for bleeding sake?

Yeah, yeah, yeah. But this is also the same U2 that released singles like Discotheque, Numb and Two Hearts Beat as One and Vertigo shits all over those songs.

It's a great song. Not everyone is going to love it. What else is new?

Matthew_Page2000 said:
*Hmm, I'm a little amazed that someone can settle with "a good *little throwaway rock song". I mean this is U2! The band that *wrote Pride, The Fly, Bullet, Stay, The Blue Sky, One, Streets just *to mention a few... How come is "Vertigo" sonsidered "enough" *for bleeding sake?

I'm curious what you thought of those songs right away. I thought WOWY was a clumsy single, then I loved it. I thought Streets was too spacious and incoherent, still do, I only fell in love with it when I heard it live. Pride I liked right away, but after War I thought the guitars weren't "tough" enough (damn eno). I never really liked Beautiful Day until I heard a remix that pumped up the guitars. Mysterious Ways was clumsy (it's alright, it's alright, it's alright), then I learned to appreciate the groove in the clumsiness.

My impressions of a song are usually different after sleeping on it. And then different again after not hearing it for a week. And then different again after hearing it live. I can tell after about 10 to 12 listenings of a really bad copy, I'm going to LOVE this song.

Man I've been waiting since The Fly for this..........a U2 first single album taster that'd gonna kick arse all over the radio.......

I feel bad for those of you who've been waiting for so long and are left wanting more......

I feel bad for those of you who've dissected the whole song and analysed it so much and magnifyed the molecular structure of the song to find out it sounds like a U2 song and no more.

No other band............can carry the weight of expectation that U2 carries so gracefully...........and still deliver such a kickarse fuckin gem.

Turn the lights off............turn your computer off................kick back and press play...........and get lost in this baby.

Thank you U2........

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom