Attention! Fan Reaction Article For "Vertigo"

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I am now ito my umpteenth listen. The stop start vocal deilvery is pretty sweet in the verses, Adam just rumbles all over the top of this, I don't think this recording does him justice to be honest, in the opening verse Adam, Larry and Bono are the only one's playing, which is cool as Adam get's to take the lead. The pucker version of this will really show that off. Bono is sounding the best he has in years. Not one little crack in there at all, very smooth sounding indeed. And Edge, God bless you Edge, it's great to have you back again, plugged in and doing what you you do best, and it does have that The Who vibe going on. I love the outro as well, that yeah yeah yeah thing just gets me, I'm looking forward to hearing that without the DJ.

I love this song - u2 has this organic sound that is really unlike any other group - while I have not had the pleasure of hearing the entire album this song sounds like u2 but unlike anything they've done for a while. All four memebers sound to be at the top of their game - what an amazing way to ride into the Rock and Roll hall of fame with a single that is current, fresh, relevant, and just all around kicks ass - not may bands can do that. Cannot wait for the tour now.

2 listens and now I have to go to a meeting (damn). Hello, Hello, I can't get this out of my head!!!!

I can't wait to hold this single (and the album) in my hot, sweaty, little hands!

I've had this on repeat for about hour & half now...it just gets better & better...and it was fantastic to start with.

An amazing song....I'm so much more impressed by this than I was by Beautiful Day or Elevation. Bono sounds amazing (just hope he can hit some of those notes live), Edge, Adam & Larry just excel themselves. Its more than I hoped for.

Can't wait to hear this live...its going to blow the roof off...I feel knackered just imagining how this is going to be live.

Oh. My. GUH.

I've been listening to Vertigo on repeat since I downloaded it. I've gone from shaking to wanting to scream, to shaking my head, holding my hands in the air to singing a long and bopping in my chair. I want to crank it but since I'm at work I'll have to wait til I get in the car. Yes, I already have it on a CD. I can not wait two months til the album, or til Spring for the tour...I need U2 NOW! OMG GUH Edge guitar!

HELLO HELLO! I'M AT A PLACE CALLED VERTIGO!

At first listen i was so excited that i couldn't really think anything at all about the song. Then i started tapping my foot, and then started to nod to the beat... Maybe on the third listen i started to really like it and now its all over my mind.. It's amazing. I try to restrain myself in listening too much though, I don't want to wear it out on this poor quality clip.

The song has a very tight sound, even though it has got alot of dirty guitars. There is no holding back here, it feels like each member of the band are giving their absolute maximum into the song.

I'm pleasantly surprised about how prominent Adam's bass is... The lower frequencys are somewhat blurred by the low quality of the clip, so i think when we get better quality his bassline will really carry the song forward.

And my my my, what an intro! When Edge is coming in with that heavy riff, the first word i come to think of is force. The riff is simple, but very catchy and sure is rock 'n roll.

Larry drums a very powerful beat, and he does really do his job well of providing the tempo to the song.

Bonos vocals... he sounds great! At first i thought his stacatto singing thing was kinda strange... but now i hear how good it is, it fits exactly with the song tempo and melody, and sounds more like another instrument than a voice in a way (which Bono is known to be good at). Never heard him sing in this way before.

I can't really describe Vertigo in ways of: "it sounds like this"... This song couldn't have been made by any other band. It sounds so much like U2, but still it doesn't.

A great single!

Last edited:
This is the best song i've heard the past 4 years, bar none.

It's the "most free" u2 song ive heard ever. nothing sounds forced, not that they do, but this song makes all album versions of any other song sound forced to me... this just has a distinct and awesome vibe to it, it sounds almost live, if you know what i mean

i listened for 2 hours, loop after loop, each time better than the last. then i got the awesome quality version and the song just seems super great now. it will be fantastic live.

It's punk. It's strait rock.
Most of all it's pure fun, I love it.
I'm sick of angst rock, this sings joy from the rooftops.
It's U2 in their purist form, and everyone is represented.
Even Adam came to the party.

This sounds like a hungry band, which doesn't seem possible out of 40ish millionaires, but there it is.

This is night and day from when Beautiful Day came out.
That day everyone was like, "it's good" or "well, it will grow on me..."
More than a few loved it, but not like this. WOW!!!

I can't help but feel that I just walked into 1981. The band sound like a bunch of 18-year olds ready to take on the world. There is an energy exploding out of this song and into my ears. Now I am beginning to understand where they are coming from with the title 'How to Dismantle an Atomic Bomb.' And ALL of it sounds incredibly promising.

:bow: :larry: :adam: :bono: :edge:

I think most important of all, it sounds like they're having fun. That of course, makes the music exciting.

They sound like they're youthful again...without trying too hard. You can "FEEEEL" the joy and soul in this song. If I were to take a blood pressure test right now they'd probably put me on the higheset dose of medicine possible.

I think what's certain is that 'Jick' guy or whoever that was, was completely full of shite.

a.) Bono's voice sounds better than anything off ATYCLB.
b.) The band does NOT sound like it is trying too hard.
c.) There's not...really a c. That guy's just full of crap.

I would love to go crazy like all of the other people on this board but that feeling went away and now I can put my U2 fanaticism aside and be true to myself and the music and offer an honest critique:

Interesting song. Great Energy. I remember first hearing Beautiful Day and the feeling of it needing to grow on me because of the direction it took with the drum machine beginning and all, but eventually I loved it.

This song gives me that same feeling but I'm not convinced yet. I'm actually a bit put in my place. I expected a bit more. Bono's voice is really showing his age and although it gives a nice kind of layer of passion to the vocals, I almost shreak a bit because it wasn't too long ago that he could really belt the lyrics out. We'll see with the rest of the album and in concert.
The rest of the music is confident but a bit too many sound effects in the background wish they could have kept it simple and stripped back like I heard it was supposed to be. Nice flow though. All in all it will perpetuate the U2 legacy but I don't think it'll break any new musical ground. I Like it, I Just Don't Love it.....maybe someday?

Well, I don't know what to say really... At first I was pleased that it ROCKS. I really welcome Edge's guitar.... But ehh..*cough*. It just seems like I´ve heard it all before. I have listened to it about 15 times now and it has stopped growing on me. Just like Elevation did. I mean it doesn't have any layers [like Fly did] and the lyrics seem to be throway. There seem to be no originality.

Maybe I have to sleep on it. I dunno. Maybe I'll like it better tomorrow.

This is TITANIUM SOUL. This is PUNK ROCK FROM VENUS. This is U2 actually rocking out. This is the U2 I missed out on almost 24 years ago.

I think we need to put this song into context. This is U2's first album single in three or four years. With this in mind, it's supposed to be a mainstream, catchy song to draw in the masses. It's not supposed to be an overly serious song. This is U2 being playful, attractive, and asking us to come to the main dance down the hall when the album comes out. It succeeds brilliantly. It's direct and raw, yet it's catchy as anything out there. It's a nod to The Who and The Ramones, which plays nicely alongside the punk pop movement of the past couple years.

This is U2 beginning again. It's got the spirit of Boy all the way through it, streaming in and out even through the whispering falsettos during the bridge, showing their presence like ghosts coming back to form. Yet there is swagger and attitude, something which was not a part of the blueprint for ATYCLB. It's very honest...like a postcard from Bono read over the radio. He's telling us to hold on, cause the show is just beginning. And what a beginning!

It really depends how you look at the song. It's not deep and spiritiual. It's not musically complex. Bono doesn't wail away like Kite or Bad. It's not the most original sound. It's a simple rock song, with great energy. That's it. They sound great, and it sounds fun. It'll be a live monster that gets the crowd moving. It's actually more pop than anything off Pop, clocking in at just over 3 minutes. Enjoy it for what it is. If you want God, I'm sure other tunes on HTDAAB will satisfy.

It's a very good rock n' roll song in my opinion! I really like the intro, it's a punk rock kind of intro to me. Reminds me of The Clash for some reason (I think it's because of the Spanish counting).

That's a great hard rock riff Edge is playing there, very headbanging in the same way The Fly and Until The End Of The World are. It's a jump up and down song. The other riff (the one that reminds us of I Will Follow) fits very well in the song too and it's a "party riff" style too. It's Edge fighting against a solo again in order to don't make the song just another rock n' roll song.

Bono's vocals fit the song well (like always) but I wish he'd do something a little more aggressive and angry like God Part II. The "I can feel" line is classic Bono and the hello hellos definitely call back to the very early years. The oh, woh, woh singing reminds me of Celebration!! :ohmy: Bono is definitely trying to send a message of confusion and chaos but like many U2 songs it’s also about trying to find your way through the dark with your faith.

The rhythm section of U2 never fails. Adam and Larry always deliver. It's great to listen to Larry play a more upbeat song and "smash those cymbals" again! And that's a really heavy bass line Adam is playing. Also classic Adam.

It's a very raw tune. Dirty guitar power chords, heavy bassline, upbeat drums, no drum machines and no fucking around with the studio buttons. Vertigo immediately felt like a combination between Boy and Achtung Baby's sounds. A Celebration meets The Fly maybe! Not a bad idea at all. The song sounds like a very good opening song to an album and it feels like a number one single! In the end, truth to be said, Vertigo doesn't really add anything new to the U2 landscape. It's just a good, honest and direct rock n' roll song and there's absolutely nothing wrong with that. A very good song to announce to the world that U2 is back and that The Edge brought his guitar with him.

:up:

The Ramones inffluence on this track is more than obvious, Beat on the Brat from a year ago was a dead giveaway unto what the band has up its sleave. My reaction as a fan is ABSOLUTLELY FUCKING AMAZING KICK ASS ROCK SONG!!! This is a great first single (meaning , everything behind it is gonna be even better!)

There are also musical refrences to past U2 albums and sounds, some harmonics, the middle 8, all date back to boy, the power chrods, sound like something from the achtung baby worktapes, (where did it all go wrong?) .

U2 have not really reinvented themselves for this album, like usual, instead they are gonna rock the place out!!!!!

hEllo hellO!!! holA!!!!!!!!!!!!

I just heard it and it totally KICKS ASS!!! I swear when Edgeys guitar kicked in I started hyperventaling:lol:. It was a more youthful sounding U2. I can"t wait for this CD to come out!

Michael Griffiths said:
I think we need to put this song into context. This is U2's first album single in three or four years. With this in mind, it's supposed to be a mainstream, catchy song to draw in the masses. It's not supposed to be an overly serious song. This is U2 being playful, attractive, and asking us to come to the main dance down the hall when the album comes out. It succeeds brilliantly. It's direct and raw, yet it's catchy as anything out there. It's a nod to The Who and The Ramones, which plays nicely alongside the punk pop movement of the past couple years.

This is U2 beginning again. It's got the spirit of Boy all the way through it, streaming in and out even through the whispering falsettos during the bridge, showing their presence like ghosts coming back to form. Yet there is swagger and attitude, something which was not a part of the blueprint for ATYCLB. It's very honest...like a postcard from Bono read over the radio. He's telling us to hold on, cause the show is just beginning. And what a beginning!

How well put ! In addition to Boy it has, esp at the start, that `start of PRIDE' vibe.

Subject : Invite/RSVP

Answer: they already know !

Mike

elevation said:
In the end, truth to be said, Vertigo doesn't really add anything new to the U2 landscape.

Is that good enough? Thoughts anyone?

I think you're right. But I don't think they were trying to reinvent the wheel on this one. It's a good little throwaway rock song. I think U2's "experimental" days may be behind them. They're just going to be a band that writes and records good songs. I'm fine with that. There's more than enough whacked out shit in their back catalog.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom