At the time of U2's earlier years, 1981-1983

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

theu2fly

Refugee
How revolutionary was the Edge's guitar work?

Most of the younger U2 fans (including myself) have heard great guitar work done by other bands and the later stuff of U2, but when I read "The U2 Reader" everyone was basically calling Edge's guitar work 'harmonic' and like a 'buzz saw'

And I must say the guitar work does sound professionally done on all three albums, rather than some bands who have amateurish guitar work. Edge would solo a few times during some songs -- which is a rarity, considering some bands don't even do that.

The riffs Edge pulled off must have been new and fresh at the time.

If anyone can give me insight on this, I'd appreciate it.

In the early '80s Edge was often compared to Television's guitarist Tom Verlaine. Their album 'Marquee Moon' (1977) was one of most influential postpunk albums, largely because of Verlaine's chime-laden, minimalist, 'anti-guitar hero' style. It's easy to hear his influence in Edge's early playing.

Edge has also talked about the Buzzcocks and the Clash being important early influences. You can hear elements of both groups' sound in early U2 (and dozens of other early-80s postpunk groups), but it's not as obvious as the Verlaine influence, except maybe on 'War.' But by 'War' Edge was really beginning to establish his own distinctive sound. After that album, music critics were much less likely to describe his style as a variant of someone else's. Then again, by that time postpunk was essentially dead and most of the groups who defined it had broken up.

Edge has unique style that lives in all songs, especcially from Boy, October and War(not so much as first 2, but still).
You can hear it afterwards in Pride, In God's country...

I was wondering actually if the solo in Street Mission was really Edge's solo...... When was it recorded? In 1978? 79? Because his brother Dick was in the band before 78 and was already a good guitar player.... so I'm wondering if it is not Dick's solo.....cause it is the best solo guitar I've heard by U2 (studio) and it is hard to believe that Edge was such a good guitar player in 78-79.....

What do you guys think?

Yahweh_OMG said:
I was wondering actually if the solo in Street Mission was really Edge's solo...... When was it recorded? In 1978? 79? Because his brother Dick was in the band before 78 and was already a good guitar player.... so I'm wondering if it is not Dick's solo.....cause it is the best solo guitar I've heard by U2 (studio) and it is hard to believe that Edge was such a good guitar player in 78-79.....

What do you guys think?

There's live video of Edge playing the Street Mission solo in March 1978 on an Irish TV show. I understand it's actually the earliest recording we have of U2 too.

Yahweh_OMG said:
so, Edge play it..... mmm.... great great great solo!!!! and he was 17.....:ohmy:

As he was born in August 1961, he'd actually be 16 and a half in the March 1978 clip.

Aardvark747 said:
I actually found it in a music store in Dublin, just down the road from The Clarence. They had quite a few rare and random things in there - u2-related!:drool:
Aardvark'ohlookatmei'vebeentoDublinandstoppedattheClarencebetyourjealous'747
Namedrop namedrop namedrop

:wink: (i am jealous actually)

Axver said:

As he was born in August 1961, he'd actually be 16 and a half in the March 1978 clip.

Younger than I am... :ohmy: And I can't come up with anything near as good as that!

Oh, I have that Street Mission video on my computer...uploading it via you send it as we speak. :wink: I don't think it's the full thing, but you still get to see Edge play his solo.

And Bono's effin' hilarious in it.

Thanks Gibson Girl...

Was some of that stuff taped or lip synched? They seemed like they were playing their instruments but Bono they all were lip synching. Geez, they looked so young.

Bono should bring some of those stage moves back... they're classic and would wow everyone and increase U2's fanbase.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom