Assistance with mix CD? (atmospheric songs)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Alisaura

Blue Crack Supplier
Not sure if this is the right forum for this, but worth a shot. :)

I'm compiling a CD of (mostly) U2 songs that are more atmospheric, reflective... I thought at first that I'd have mostly instrumental tracks, but some of them just don't fit.

Here's the rough list of songs I have, in no particular order... I'm just stuck when it comes to what order to put them in on the CD. Plus it's still 8 minutes too long, and I don't know what to drop. :reject:

The Ocean
October
Rowena's Theme
Drift
One Foot in Heaven
4th of July
Promenade
Running to Stand Still
Heartland
Zooropa
Slug
Your Blue Room
Beach Sequence
Corpse
One Minute Warning
Velvet Dress
Beautiful Ghost
One Step Closer
Love Is Blindness
Scarlet

Street Spirit (Radiohead)
Hallelujah (the version from the Shrek soundtrack)

I guess the main thing I'd like some help with is how to hang this all together without it sounding too mixed up and jarring... obviously it would sound weird if you had The Ocean up against something from Passengers. Or would it? :confused: I could listen to all the possible permutations, but that could take years :wink:

Plus, how to cut 8 minutes out? Or is there anything obvious I've left off? I thought about 40 and MLK and Bass Trap, but those tracks don't really do much for me.

Help? :wink:

My opinion is...that it yer lookiing to cut 8 mins.......then bye bye Zooropa Definately, as its more of a rocker than the rest and doesnt fit with the others. And if pushed for anohter, it would have to be rowenas theme for the simple reason, it has the least u2 connection. Can i also add that the two i mention are great tunes and its not a case of not liking them.

Here you go :wink:

Beautiful Ghost
Zooropa
One Minute Warning
The Ocean
Beach Sequence
Rowena's Theme
Your Blue Room
4th of July
Slug
October
Drift
One Foot in Heaven
Promenade
Running to Stand Still
Heartland
Scarlet
Velvet Dress
Corpse
Love Is Blindness

You're missing Elvis Presley and America, which is my favorite atmospheric U2 song. I'd agree with cutting Zooropa for the same reason gman suggested. I also don't know if I'd think of October as atmospheric, and I'd choose EPaA over 4th of July.

Whoops, nearly forgot I posted this... :lol:

gman said:
My opinion is...that it yer lookiing to cut 8 mins.......then bye bye Zooropa Definately, as its more of a rocker than the rest and doesnt fit with the others...
You are quite right - I admit, Zooropa's only in there for the song's intro. I'm thinking twice about Heartland for much the same reason (intro/outro has the mood I'm after, but maybe not the middle so much). But the bassline is :drool:...

Screwtape2 said:
Here you go :wink:
Many thanks! I will try this one out :)

BonoIsMyMuse said:
You're missing Elvis Presley and America, which is my favorite atmospheric U2 song. .... I also don't know if I'd think of October as atmospheric, and I'd choose EPaA over 4th of July.
You're also right, EP&A is definitely more atmospheric than a lot of stuff I listed, but it really doesn't appeal to me much... :reject:

socceroo said:
Maybe you need...
Endless Deep
Bass Trap
Electrical Storm
The Unforgettable Fire
I did consider those (except Electrical Storm... I was trying to stay away from the rockier songs, although it does have a great vibe to it) - again, matters of personal taste have left Bass Trap and UF behind, and while I love Endless Deep, it doesn't have quite the mood I'm after.
I guess "atmospheric" was the closest word I could think of (reflective? meditative?), but may not be quite accurate.

Thank you for your suggestions - I'm neurotically picky when it comes to putting mix CDs together! :wink:

Back
Top Bottom