As the last notes fade...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Hoodlem

War Child
...at the end of Yahweh, after listenning to the entire album, each time I feel an amazing feeling of peace. No dissapointment. No feeling that "i guess I will grow to like it". No wishing that anything was different. Just absolute peace and satisfaction. I feel like I have just been taken on a journey to a wonderful place.

ATYCLB and POP did not give me this feeling (though there is much to like about each). AB, TJT, War, and TUF, and maybe Zooropa are the other albums that give me this same feeling.

So how do you guys feel immediately after listenning to this new work in it's entirety?

I'm feeling complete peace knowing that, when I finally listen to the album, I will, then again, fe(eeee)l peace. :|

after hearing this, anybody can say anything to me, no matter how bad it is, and i wouldnt care...ITS BLISS

i just can't wait to get my hands on mercy & fast cars, then i'll be making a new cd with electrical storm & thtba included as well as mercy/fast cars :)

While Fast Cars may be interesting, I would not have in on my album in the position they chose. Yahweh is the best closer since 40.

I feel happy. I feel rejuvinated & calm at the same time if that's possible. It is so infectious. I am so glad that I was born during this point in time and i get to hear U2. Not much more makes me happier.:yes:

I've been listening it to and wondering what if they had more songs. I think it would be complete. This is a very EMOTIONAL record. It truly is a guitar record. Now when i say this I'm not meaning in a Led Zeppelin sort of way, I mean it in writing parts for the guitar that fits the song...similar to what Joshua Tree and AB did.

ATYCLB was exactly what is what meant to be...a POP album. But the guitar was not so pronounced. It was fucked with by ENO and LANOIS. In this case the ringing and Edges Layering comes across excellent. I believe SYCMIOYO has a very uninventive opening. Straight forward.. but now listening to it, its perfect for the song. Edge once remarked that on WOWY he could have gone into a big ending at the end of the song, but he was really happy that he didn't. I beleive he achieved that greatness by being simple. That is what the Joshua Tree was. Simple.

I still don't like A Man and A Woman..don't know why.

TheFlyOnTheWall said:

Speaking of that, could someone remind me why is 40 such a great closer? :ohmy: (yes, I'm serious...:( )

Listen to bootlegs and you'll see why. There's a reason this song closed essentially every concert from 1983 to 1990 (I'd just love to get my hands on the 16:45 version from 31 January 1985).

And I totally agree with Roland. This is definitely the best album since JT.

Axver said:

Listen to bootlegs and you'll see why. There's a reason this song closed essentially every concert from 1983 to 1990 (I'd just love to get my hands on the 16:45 version from 31 January 1985).

And I totally agree with Roland. This is definitely the best album since JT.

That doesn't answer the question to why 40 is such a good *album* closer. Fantastic live show closer, yes...

I, quite frankly, think "40" sucks on War. Terrible production and performance. For a live closer, it's awesome, but for an album closer it's one of U2's worst, IMO.

Love is Blindness, Wake Up Dead Man, All I Want Is You, even Mothers of the Disappeared and Grace...now those are fantastic songs to close out albums with.

We're not comparing Yahweh to 40/MLK/Mothers/AIWIY/Love Is Blindness/Wake Up Dead Man as songs. As pure songs, AIWIY and Love Is Blindness are indeed much better. We're comparing them as CLOSERS. As in, how do they end the album? What feeling do you have when the album is finished as a result of the closer? That's why 40 is so great, it leaves us so relaxed and calm and such. Yahweh leaves us feeling jubilated and at peace.

IMO "40" is close to being one of the greatest album closers ever, along with All I Want Is You. MLK, The Wanderer and Love is Blindness follow close behind. Personally I don't like Grace or Wake Up Dead Man. And I haven't heard Yahweh yet...

namkcuR said:
We're not comparing Yahweh to 40/MLK/Mothers/AIWIY/Love Is Blindness/Wake Up Dead Man as songs. As pure songs, AIWIY and Love Is Blindness are indeed much better. We're comparing them as CLOSERS. As in, how do they end the album? What feeling do you have when the album is finished as a result of the closer? That's why 40 is so great, it leaves us so relaxed and calm and such. Yahweh leaves us feeling jubilated and at peace.

It's all a matter of opinion I guess. I think you missed my point. I think 40 sucks as an album closer, love it live. Never said it was a bad song, just a bad song to end the album with. I think with a little more work and tweaking of the lyrics to relate a bit to the themes of War would have made the song perfect. I've always just felt that it is kinda tacked onto the end of the album. (which it was...U2 needed a song so they punched this out very quickly at the very end of their studio time).

On the other hand, Love Is Blindness and Wake Up Dead Man couldn't be more perfect to wrap up the feelings of uncertianty of Achtung Baby and Pop.

I'll have to let HTDAAB sink in a bit more to know whether I think Yahweh is a great closter.

Gosh I dont like the slow, or maudlin closers at all. Especially Mothers Of the Disappeared, which I am sure is a great song, if I were to ever get there by playing the album through. I have the impression that it bored me from long ago, so it is out of my playlist.

But we all have different attributes in what we like from U2.

Of course, I think 40 ends Under a Blood Red Sky the best, but that's not a studio album,

ImOuttaControl said:

On the other hand, Love Is Blindness and Wake Up Dead Man couldn't be more perfect to wrap up the feelings of uncertianty of Achtung Baby and Pop.

I agree 100%.

HTDAAB is the only album I have ever heard where I actually feel better after listening to it. It uplifts my spirit in a way I can't describe. Very unexpected, but very welcome.

40 is the great closer it is because it leaves feeling good and mellow, and the baseline is addicting.

In a theme point of view with the album, it is AMAZING, think of this:
-Like a final prayer for peace
-Sunday Bloody Sunday opens with blistering guitar, "How long must we sing this song!!!!!!!"

-40 mellows out and resolves this, peacfully claiming hope, "I Will sing, sing a new song,"

beautiful!:drool:

Yahweh was the last song to grow on me, I found his saying "Yahwehhhh" kind of annoying, but its unbelievable now. The ending of the song is so great :wink:

I can't understand why some people don't love Yahweh,guess it's just a matter of different tastes. I think for a closing track,it's more like the caliber of a number 4 or 5 song.

Back
Top Bottom