Around the World with U2...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Ok ladies and gentlemen I need your help!

I am planning a cross country road trip with some friends this summer and we need some suggestions...we are all huge U2 fans and we want to get the bang for our buck on this trip and visit as many U2 places as we can...

We've already thought of the well known places, like Red rocks, Joshua Tree...Memphis...but we need other suggestions...like lesser known places...hole in the wall clubs they might have played...they can be located anywhere...So far the road trip is starting in Florida...heading up the east coast to NY (further if we have to) and then on to Cali!

So if you know of any places please post them here! Even if it seems insignificant...road trips are all about the silly little things!

Thanks in advance!

Last edited:
FishNeedsABicycle said:
Joshua Tree.

Do not go to JT National Park. It is a lovely place, and full of shitloads of joshua trees, but not the one you want to see. The Harmony Motel is near JT National Park.

The cover of JT was shot in Death Valley at Zabriskie Point.

Many publicity shots were taken in Bodie State Park, near Bridgeport, Ca.

Parts of Outside It's America were shot in Gila Bend, Az.

Another good thing about Cali: I live there!

Well, if you're coming up the East Coast, Boston would seem a natural stop. You could go see "twenty years ago...a place we'll never get over.... Paradise." The Paradise Rock Club, where they played 2 early gigs and where the famous boot "Another Time Another Place" was recorded, is at 969 Commonwealth Ave., Boston.

While you're there, you could also go see the Orpheum which they played a couple times (site of "Complete Boston '83 tapes" and one track on "Under a Blood Red Sky") at 1 Hamilton Place which is right off the Common near Park Street Church.

Then drag out a lot of money and go eat at Radius, where The Edge and Bono were photographed the last time they were in Boston.

The DVD was shot at the Fleet Center, but that's not much to see.

Thanks guys! Please keep the suggestions coming!

Sicy I am not sure where we will be in Cali...the band that I do the website for is based in Cali and we are planning our time there around when they have a show...so once they set dates and places I will let you know!

Martha...I knew the JT had fallen down...but do you know how to get to the site? I would still like to say I've been there even though the photo opertunity is gone...:sad:

Anyone else know of clubs? I mean we have the ENTIRE U.S. to cross...and if we had to do a little zig-zaggin in the name of U2 then so be it!

You could go to downtown LA where they filmed the "Streets" video. I just came back from So. Cali, but I'm not sure if I actually saw it. I think the location was mentioned in the vid as 7th and Main Sts.

The "Elevation" video was filmed on New York Street in Universal Studios Hollywood.

Memphis has a lot of U2-related spots to offer :yes:, so I'm sure you'll have a ball there. Sun Studios was great!

Here in DC, they played at the Bayou club, BUT I'm not sure if it still exists. I wasn't here yet.

mebythesea said:
Well, if you're coming up the East Coast, Boston would seem a natural stop. You could go see "twenty years ago...a place we'll never get over.... Paradise." The Paradise Rock Club, where they played 2 early gigs and where the famous boot "Another Time Another Place" was recorded, is at 969 Commonwealth Ave., Boston.

While you're there, you could also go see the Orpheum which they played a couple times (site of "Complete Boston '83 tapes" and one track on "Under a Blood Red Sky") at 1 Hamilton Place which is right off the Common near Park Street Church.

Then drag out a lot of money and go eat at Radius, where The Edge and Bono were photographed the last time they were in Boston.

Ohhh...great info! Thanks. I'll keep that in mind the next time I visit Boston. ;)

Last edited:
mebythesea said:
where the famous boot "Another Time Another Place" was recorded, is at 969 Commonwealth Ave., Boston.

I didn't know that! *scribbles address down*

Bono also likes to get his haircut in Boston :tongue: :bono:

ummmmmmm mebythesea said what I was gonna say, Paradise. Well the Worcester Centrum (Worcester, MA) was the first venue they sold out at. (through the rumor mill i heard u2 wanted to put a plaque up in the centrum saying this but apparently the centrum didn't want it! :der:)

Oh how about the RocknRoll Hall of Fame in Cleveland.

geez sounds like fun. can i come?? :sexywink:

Memphis...Graceland...Sun Studios..watching the sunset over the Mississippi River and sliding down the embankment.

Then get your butts over to New Mexico where many exciting things happened to them that they've never publicly discussed. Oh yeah, and I'm here, too. :mac:

Sparkysgrrrl said:

Back the truck up here...
I want more info on this please, I was in that hell hole last New Years and I want to know that cool things happened there

Oh, it's still a hell hole. But our fellas were there sometime in 1987/1988 to film parts of a tv special. It was slightly less hellish then, I think. I was there in 1988 on Labor Day weekend. It was nice. But I was there with my soon to be husband, which may have colored my experience a bit. :sexywink:

dizzy said:
You could go to downtown LA where they filmed the "Streets" video. I just came back from So. Cali, but I'm not sure if I actually saw it. I think the location was mentioned in the vid as 7th and Main Sts.

The "Elevation" video was filmed on New York Street in Universal Studios Hollywood.

Here's my advice for LA. If you come here, skip Universal Studios, thats way to expensive unless you want to go there anyway. It's like, 45.00!

Instead, go to Malibu- Edge has a place there, so it's sorta U2 related. and it's a beautiful place in itself. I could spend all day there.
Hmm I don't know of too many other places in LA other than the Million Dollar Hotel ( which is downtown somewhere), that are U2 related- but I'm sure there are many.

Have fun!

head to SF and visit Justin Herman Plaza, near the Embarcadero, where they filmed All Along the Watchtower in R&H, and where Bono spray painted on the fountain. The grafitti is washed away now (and Mayor Diane Fienstein, who arrested him, is in the Senate).

you could have a fun treasure hunt in the City, too, trying to find the first theater they played in, which Bono could not remember during the Elevation show :).

Bono took his daughter to the Exploratorium during the Popmart tour I think, its a fun hands on science museum. They stayed at the Cliff House last tour, supposedly, that's a nice tourist site too.

And is it Fantasy Studios in Berkeley that they've been at? (that may not be much to see, but if your in the area, check out The Gilman which is the local punk rock venue).

have fun, send us some postcards :).

Here in SF you can also have a drink at Tosca's, one of Bonos' favorite bar here in the city...we went there once and the bartender told us that Bono has visited numerous times, he is good friends' with the owner, and danced on tables the last time he was there (I think after the San Jose show and after one of the PopMart Oakland shows he was there!
And I read that Bono had dined solo at The Stinking Rose", so I went in there and the waiter told me it was true but then couldn't find the photo on the wall to prove it:lol:
And ofcourse, all of DebbieSG's suggestions are great ones!
Have fun on your U2 trip!

I'll be ding dong.
Last year my friends car broke down in Gila Bend and we had to stay at the hotel with the flying saucer on the roof.
The ppl next door were screwing each other so loudly we couldn't sleep.

:censored:

One Tree Hill is in New Zealand and the tree has been chopped down.

What about Kansas City and the LNOE video? You'd have to rent a convertable and drive around all day pouring gooey jelly on everyone. :lol:

Angel said:

What about Kansas City and the LNOE video? You'd have to rent a convertable and drive around all day pouring gooey jelly on everyone. :lol:

:lmao:

Wonder if we could find a driver that looks like Larry :shifty:

Back
Top Bottom