Are you as hyped as always?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

elevation

Acrobat
I became a fan in 1994. In the following looong years I was SO hyped and excited when the album news rolled in. REALLY excited, that is. I mean, after monster albums like Achtung Baby and Zooropa, there was SO much to expect. And my expectations were certainly met with Pop. So when U2 started to record their next album, I could hardly sit still. Unfortunately I was rather disapointed with ATYCLB. ES, THTBA even futher lowered my expectations and now I?m not really excited. I?m checking the news but it?s not with this strange, anticipating feeling in my stomach as I?ve been used to :sad:. I just have this feeling that I?ll be disappointed again and my body have registered that. I?m not really on a roll though I wish I were :huh:.

Am I the only one feeling this way?...

I'm sure there's some who feel the same way. Personally, however, I'm as stoked as always. Been a fan since 1984 and even if I don't think I'll ever be as hyped as I was in '91 I really can't wait for this new record.

actually, i was contemplating on whether or not the internet actually ruins the excitement. i found myself much more excited about Zooropa and Pop, because i knew less, and didn't hear all these bullshit rumors about albums being stolen and Bono's daughter being topless.

i'm still excited about the album, but at the same time, i'm listening to a totally different style of music at the moment(ie. Faith No More, Alice In Chains, etc), so it's hard for me to really sit down and enjoy U2 at the moment.

excited as ever. I didn't like THTBA either (could appreciate it, but not get into it), have you heard the original version for ES? A lot better with the guitars and no William Orbit butchering. I loved ATYCLB, but I also loved the experimentation of POP and Zooropa, so I know where youre comin from. Hopefully well all get into this new album.

Been a fan since 1984.

Always had that feeling, but when I brought ATYCLB home and listened for the first time, I was dissappointed. Good album; not their 3rd masterpiece, as was reported in rolling stone.

I'm excited about this one, but causous. If it's an amazing album, that'll make my year. If it's just good again like ATYCLB, I'll be mildly disappointed but still stoked to see them on tour.

Been a fan since 1983. No hype here. As much as I look forward to the new album and tour, I try and keep it in perspective in the grand scheme of things.

I perfered the old-fashioned way of just waiting. Nowadays, you hear every little rumor or detail. I think maybe it hypes it too much, rasies expectations a little too much. I'm trying not to get so caught up with it this time around.

I'm not really stoked yet. When I hear the first single, then I'll begin to get excited. But I was so excited for the album to come out in fall 03, then for spring 04. By now, I'm just so used to waiting that it's hard to even comprehend the idea that this album is going to ever be released.

That said, I have a story. I was washing my car today at the car wash, and I found myself singing:

I was born a child of grace
Built this town in my own space
Everything was lovely, such a beautiful place
It left me no illusion

ALL BECAUSE OF YOU
AAAAAAALLLLLLLLLLLLL BECAUSE OF YOU

I thought "what is this song that is rolling around in my head?" Then I remembered....... "ALL BECAUSE OF YOU!". It felt good to have a new U2 song in my head, even if it was just a crappy recording someone made from outside their studio. So maybe my subconscious mind is really getting insanely excited about this album, and hasn't let me know yet.

The experience of initial disappointment that you had with ATYCLB was the same kind of experience that I had with Pop.

However, I never gave up on Pop, and I kept going back to listen to it, and now I actually like it a lot!

So I would encourage you to go back to ATYCLB every once in a while and give it another chance. I personally love ATYCLB.

And yes, I am incredibly excited about the new album (especially because Edge's guitar is supposed to play such a prominent role in it).

And I wouldn't worry too much about the singles between these albums (ES & THTBA).

The style of their between album music rarely seems to be reflected in the following album.

I guess since I've never seen U2 live before I'm more interested in the tour than the album. I've never been disappointed by a U2 album so I'm confident I'll like the next one that comes out. Even if I don't think it's the greatest I'm still dying to see them live!!!

I think once a new single is on the radio is when I'll get really hyped up about a new album.

That suspense before Achtung Baby was unreal.
No internet leaks back then, constant 24 hour news updates, basically not much of anyting coming out of the band's camp.

Then the album hit, I was blown away by how different it was, I didn't expect it at all. Those were the good ol' days when a band could put out an album that actually surprised people.

Zooropa was sort of the same, it blindsided me, I was just driving down the road and I heard the guy on teh radio say "U2 has a new album coming out next month" Damn, that was the greatest news ever, I thought for sure it would be another 3 years.

POP was the longest wait I have ever endured, even the wait for this album pales for me personally. My most intense period of U2-love was from about 93-95, so I was dying to hear that album and the only thing I had heard about it was a quote from Adam saying it was going to be a 'rock and roll' album. Needless to say I was shocked to hear Discotheque, I was like "Is this fuckign U2?" That one came from left field too.

I was pleasantly surprised by all 3 of those albums, although POP seemed to disappoint me after the 'newness' wore off, I have grown to love that album, even with it's flaws.

ATYCLB was a great first listen, and then for several months, then I saw them live in April '01 and after that I listened to it less and less. I have listened to it a few times in the last few weeks. I think it's a better album for people who are either greiving or joyful, but if you aren't in those 2 phases, then it's harder to "get". JMO. It is a very good album and I don't think I like it as much now as I did 3 years ago, but it is a good one nonetheless.

For this album, my expectations are that it will be just like the last 2, 4 or 5 really good songs, 3 or 4 good to decent songs and 2 or 3 that I could personally do without. But you know what? u2 have already given my ears a journey through the years that has made such an impact on my life that even if this album sucks gigantic balls, it wouldn't change anything. I'd still go see them on tour and I'll still listen to the old albums.

I really think the album will be a good strong album, much like ATYCLB, I don't think it will sound exactly like ATYCLB< but will sound similar in some songs, it's inevitable. But I am not expecting some rock album from a band in their 40's who have arguably only made rock tunes, rather than rock albums even when they were in their 20's.

I think the best thing to do is let the music surprise you rather than trying to make yourself surprised using expectations.
Just expect that U2 will deliver an album in November, and if you like it, well then that's great and if you don't then maybe you expected too much. Let the music surprise you as much as you can and it will be even harder for it to let you down.

I hate the song Babyface, because I think it's about the worst U2 song ever, but I appreciate it, because it surprised me. Now when I hear it, I didn't grow to love it or anything, but what it does is remind me of where U2 was, where I was, in the summer of 1993, and for that, the song is usefull to me, even if I don't like it.

Just listen with an ear turned towards letting the music speak to you rather than trying to make the music something it's not. It's sort of how I deal with ATYCLB. Yeah, I was ultimately disappointed, but the album means a lot of things in a lot of ways, to me, you and everyone else that aren't measured by chord changes, lyrics and melody. It's art, appreciate it for what it's worth.

everyone gives ATYCLB a bad rap. i don't understand. ofcourse, it isn't U2's best album (AB) but it is in the top 3 in my opinion.

The first time i listend to it i was dissapointed too. I loved Beautiful Day and In a little while the first time i heard it, but other songs had to grow on me. "orbit of your hips, eclipse".. i was like, wtf? this is shit. but now i love elevation. it has to grow on you. and i remember my dad listening to it and his favorite song was Kite. at the time i liked Walk On the most and i told him, you're crazy, that song sucks. but over these last 4 years Kite has become my favorite u2 song.

ATYCLB is an album full of heart and soul. beautiful music, different from their harder edge or techno style.

we are so lucky. U2 have given us so many different sounds that its almost like 10 different bands. Every album sounds different from the last, and they keep evolving. those of you who think this album will sound like ATYCLB are wrong. the album will be different from any other u2 stuff out there, but it'll be u2, and that's what matters. i can't wait to hear their new sound.

When I bought POP, there was a POP bashing going on in this forum and it pissed me off. I finally decided I had to find out for myself, so I bought it. I did have to warm up to it, initially, but the rest is history. It's in my top 5 of most played cd's, still. I LOVE it , can't get enough and listen to it when I can't sleep at night. I just got a surround sound system last weekend and it just blow's me away. It's playing now, awesome.:wink:

Edited to say: I'm totally hyped for this new album.

Last edited:
I was very hyped up before but not now. Since R.E.M.'s next album is coming out in Oct. with a new single very soon, I can pay attention to something other than U2. Also, Interpol & Jimmy Eat World have albums coming out before U2 which will help.

i was more hyped up in november and december when everyone still thought it was supposed to come out in march, now its died down, but once i hear an actual song leak or see a cover, tracklist etc... i'll be hyped up again big time

U2DMfan said:
I hate the song Babyface, because I think it's about the worst U2 song ever, but I appreciate it, because it surprised me. Now when I hear it, I didn't grow to love it or anything, but what it does is remind me of where U2 was, where I was, in the summer of 1993, and for that, the song is usefull to me, even if I don't like it.
That's a very interesting observation.
U2DMfan said:
Just listen with an ear turned towards letting the music speak to you rather than trying to make the music something it's not. It's sort of how I deal with ATYCLB. Yeah, I was ultimately disappointed, but the album means a lot of things in a lot of ways, to me, you and everyone else that aren't measured by chord changes, lyrics and melody. It's art, appreciate it for what it's worth.
Great point!

Back
Top Bottom