are we unique

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

PopTart Pamela

Acrobat
Blue Mountains, west of Sydney, Australia
I was just wondering, as I have only been a fan for about 4 years and somewhat older than most of you.(i will not dwell on my stupidity, but needlass to say I will probably never see U2 live), my passion for them remains undiminished, in fact more intense. I never become sick if the music and the journey of discovery has been one of the most wonderful periods of my life - a defining moment really.
Maybe its because we love them as people as much as the music.

Question: are there people who feel the same way about other bands or singers like we love U2 - personally I have my doubts, but maybe there is or are we unique

Pamela

Last edited:
There are definitly people who feel the same way about other bands.

Being someone who's gotten into other bands myself, I know there are insanely hardcore fans for tons of bands out there. People who eat, drink, and breath those bands just like we do.

U2 fans are unique in a way, we have something worthy of being extremely hardcore about (some fans of other bands really dont). I dont know what makes U2 fans unique, that's something to really think about.

u2popmofo said:
There are definitly people who feel the same way about other bands.

Being someone who's gotten into other bands myself, I know there are insanely hardcore fans for tons of bands out there. People who eat, drink, and breath those bands just like we do.

U2 fans are unique in a way, we have something worthy of being extremely hardcore about (some fans of other bands really dont). I dont know what makes U2 fans unique, that's something to really think about.

:up: agreed

And don't forget the Pearl Jam fanatics. And Deadheads. And Radioheadies. And...
I think you get the point. :)

C ya!

Marty

I think though, we should try and build bridges with other music communities. I had loads of stereotypes about Manic Street Preachers fans until I actually stumbled upon one of their message boards. Contrary to popular opinion, half of them don't know what Nicky Wire is raving about, they don't all carve '4 Real' onto their arms, they don't all wear silly dresses, you get the idea.

I'm sure there's probably some people who think U2 fans are silly for some reason or another (not that I can think of one at the moment). Let's try and be friendly.

wertsie said:
:hmm: Well, since we are hardcore fans of the best band EVER, I say we kick ass! :up:

That's for sure!!!!

I've gotten to know some pretty serious Radiohead fans, but we're something else!!!! (either that or I haven't met the true fanatics yet!!)

I do believe that there are other groups of fans who are as passionate about other bands or singers as we are about U2. However...I do believe that U2 fans are one of the nicest, caring, and most generous groups of fans.

yertle-the-turtle said:
I think though, we should try and build bridges with other music communities.

I completely agree Yertle. People spend too much time trying to fight over who's better and who's not musically. Those are fights that no one can ever win considering tastes in music all just falls down to personal preference. May as well try to join all music fans together.

My roommate is huge metal fan, and we've found so many similarities in bands and groups we like.

Bonochick said:
I do believe that there are other groups of fans who are as passionate about other bands or singers as we are about U2. However...I do believe that U2 fans are one of the nicest, caring, and most generous groups of fans.

DEFINITELY!!!! We are (for the most part) the nicest, most caring and generous groups of fans in the world. That's one thing that struck me about meeting other U2 fans over the past 20 years.

Well another thing about U2 fanatics is that they do things to help out the world..Bono's influence have something to do with it? hehe But they care about the world a little more than the general population. Bono once said that one thing he aspires to acheive in music is to get people to do something. I think he has acheived that ;)

Bonochick said:

I have to agree 100% with everything you said. I was a HUGE Kiss fan for over 10 years, but probably longer than that. Their unofficial fan following is called the Kiss Army. I found it absolutely amazing going to Kiss events, such as concerts and meet & greets with other Kiss fans. I loved being around other people who liked Kiss as much as I did. But there was always something missing as a member of the Army. A lot of times I felt that Kiss was only in it for the money but I was too into them to give them up at the time. I finally cut all ties with my alligience to Kiss and the Kiss Army about 5 years ago. I had nothing to listen to for a while that I really loved but that was better than listening to Kiss.

U2 fans are so much more welcoming than Kiss fans were. The fans of U2 are just as passionate about the music as Kiss fans were to Kiss, but there's just a different feeling in the air being around a U2 fan vs. a Kiss fan. Not to mention, U2 themselves actually make it clear they care about the music and their fans, while as a Kiss fan, I never got any confirmation Kiss cared about anything other than making money. I'm not afraid to have an opinion about music outside of U2 in front of U2 fans. While a Kiss fan, Kiss was all I could admit to listening to, cause everything else sucked.

Lately, I've been browsing an occasionally posting in a Dave Matthews Band forum similar to this one. You would not believe how different it is. Most of them don't really even care that much about the music, but the culture of being at DMB shows. One girl said she and her friends wear skirts, and then go around finding guys to have sex with them so nonchalontly (sp?) that no one in the audience ever notices. Another guys was bitching about how he went to a DMB show sober, and it sucked.

And everyone seems to HATE certain songs. I mean, everyone on this forum stands by most of U2's material. Most of us defend POP to the end. However, you'd be surprised at the negative outpouring that everyone on that forum seems to give to some of the songs, particularly the EVERYDAY album. Everyday and POP are not so different, in that they were both big departures for DMB and U2. But the difference is, U2 fans are smart enough to except that difference. Those people HATE Everyday, and a lot of other songs too. It's like, if they go to a concert and Dave plays some of his radio hits, that he's "selling out" and "playing to the teeny boppers." As if he's supposed to fill his entire set with obscure (and inferior) material.

So I think that U2 fans are unique. I don't really care what U2 plays at a concert, but I love all their songs in some way or another, and I'm always thrilled. We don't all sit around and argue about how we hate certain songs, or each other. We let each other have our opinions, and it's great. I think that this forum is a great place to go to talk to other fans. I think U2 fans are into U2 for all the right reasons. Wether you've been going to shows since the BOY tour or before that, or you've just become interested with ATYCLB, you get into it because the music does something to you. I highly doubt a teenybopper would pay $85 to go to a show because he heard "Stuck in a moment' or "Beautiful Day" on the radio and wants to be trendy. You gotta love a band to pay that much. I guess a lot of people love U2.

The_acrobat said:
Lately, I've been browsing an occasionally posting in a Dave Matthews Band forum similar to this one. You would not believe how different it is. Most of them don't really even care that much about the music, but the culture of being at DMB shows. One girl said she and her friends wear skirts, and then go around finding guys to have sex with them so nonchalontly (sp?) that no one in the audience ever notices. Another guys was bitching about how he went to a DMB show sober, and it sucked.

I've seen people like that at U2 shows. Yes indeed I have.

The_acrobat said:
And everyone seems to HATE certain songs. I mean, everyone on this forum stands by most of U2's material. Most of us defend POP to the end. However, you'd be surprised at the negative outpouring that everyone on that forum seems to give to some of the songs, particularly the EVERYDAY album.

Well, there's a good reason why DMB fans hate EVERYDAY. It's because it sucks. :D

The_acrobat said:
So I think that U2 fans are unique. I don't really care what U2 plays at a concert, but I love all their songs in some way or another, and I'm always thrilled. We don't all sit around and argue about how we hate certain songs, or each other. We let each other have our opinions, and it's great. I think that this forum is a great place to go to talk to other fans. I think U2 fans are into U2 for all the right reasons. Wether you've been going to shows since the BOY tour or before that, or you've just become interested with ATYCLB, you get into it because the music does something to you. I highly doubt a teenybopper would pay $85 to go to a show because he heard "Stuck in a moment' or "Beautiful Day" on the radio and wants to be trendy. You gotta love a band to pay that much. I guess a lot of people love U2.

So I guess you haven't read all the threads bitching about setlists and how Pop sucks and how ATYCLB sucks and how the band has sold out and stuff?

Fans are fans are fans.

Bono said recently that the band feels like they owe their audience great music and to let them know what they belive in!That is what makes u2 unique they take that responsibility seriously whereas lots of other artists don;t!Personally I think u2 fans are the most compassionate and intelligent people there are but I am biased!!!!!!!!

PopTart said:
I was just wondering, as I have only been a fan for about 4 years and somewhat older than most of you.(i will not dwell on my stupidity, but needlass to say I will probably never see U2 live), Pamela

pam i first saw U2 when i was 16, and i was amazed to see fans there that were older than my parents. i saw a couple there that had to be in their 60's and they were singing and dancing with the rest of us, they said the music and the acceptance they get from the other fans made the age difference a moot issue. i watched them thru-out the entire show and it made proud to be a U2 fan. i'm pretty sure you'll bump into a few in here who'll repeat the same story. next time they come around go see them, you'll feel like never felt before in your life.:yes: :yes: :wave:

Kingofsorrow, what a lovely thing to say - a broad smile filled my face by the time I had finished reading! I think what you said about the fans is right otherwise,I wouldnt be part of this forum.
and as for seeing them, well they have to come down under first, although I have considered travelling to see them - only live once !

Pamela

Back
Top Bottom