Are the Milan cuts on the 'U218' DVD the best performances? - Page 2 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Your Blue Room > Everything You Know Is Wrong > Everything You Know Is Wrong Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 12-26-2006, 07:33 PM   #21
Vocal parasite

Local Time: 05:30 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by Utoo

I know. I'm not saying that it's not. I just think that it was talked about months ago as if God actually walks through the stadium on this dvd.
Actually, Jesus joined Bono for a duet during The Electric Co., but Larry axed the track.

Ian McCulloch the U2 fan:
"Who buys U2 records anyway? It's just music for plumbers and bricklayers. Bono, what a slob. You'd think with all that climbing about he does, he'd look real fit and that. But he's real fat, y'know. Reminds me of a soddin' mountain goat."
"And as for Bono, he needs a colostomy bag for his mouth."

U2gigs: The most comprehensive U2 setlist database!
Gig pictures | Blog
Old 12-26-2006, 07:36 PM   #22
New Yorker

Local Time: 07:30 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by Blue Room

I was at all of the Chicago shows. It was a good crowd at every single show. First hand experience. I know no one believes it, but from what I have seen here. Most people that attended those Chicago shows says the same thing. It just wasnt captured that way.
It's not that I don't believe u , and yeah Hamilton is a terrible director , but the thing is like somebody said here before , In Chicago u count how may people are jumping in Streets , in Stadium shows u can't see any Not .....

And also the number of times Bono trys to make the crowd sing and interact more , u cringe at that

In a nutshell , Okay The Chicago crowd was good as u say , I give that , but if u call it good , then Milan was Extraordinary

Myself rate the chicago crowd as 5 , Milan as 9.5

Old 12-26-2006, 07:39 PM   #23
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 08:30 AM
i think hamish would do better if he had more cameras 'in the crowd' (on cranes). that's one of the things that makes the sydney video/dvd so awesome. just watch new years day.
Old 12-26-2006, 07:39 PM   #24
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

Local Time: 03:30 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by Axver

Actually, Jesus joined Bono for a duet during The Electric Co., but Larry axed the track.
Yeah, I heard Jesus totally railed on Larry for the grease-mullet.
Old 12-26-2006, 07:43 PM   #25
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

Local Time: 02:30 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by J_NP

It's not that I don't believe u , and yeah Hamilton is a terrible director , but the thing is like somebody said here before , In Chicago u count how may people are jumping in Streets , in Stadium shows u can't see any Not .....

And also the number of times Bono trys to make the crowd sing and interact more , u cringe at that

In a nutshell , Okay The Chicago crowd was good as u say , I give that , but if u call it good , then Milan was Extraordinary

Myself I rate the chicago crowd as 5 , Milan as 9.5
I guess I beg to differ. Milan may have been 9.5 actually. There is no way it appears that way on the DVD to me. The way people here talked about the crowd (mainly people that were there, gee imagine that) I was expecting pandemonium on film. The only time the crowd does anything in unison or all together is when Bono directed them to. Otherwise there are a couple of times when they shot from the back on the floor the people are just standing there doing nothing. Again, its about how it was all filmed to me.

Also, how can you possibly see if everyone in a STADIUM is jumping up and down? You cant even see most people in the upper decks because they are so far away. In an arena everyone can be seen pretty well. So there is a substantial difference right there to me. Also, is the measure of a good crowd how many people jump up and down during Streets? Hmm, I have different standards I guess. So another difference of opinion on that.

But I'm not going to argue about it. Everyone that didnt attend those shows is going to say they were bad crowds. I know it wasnt the case. My guess is like I said that Milan was a good crowd also. But there is no way they came accross as a 9.5 on that DVD to me.
Old 12-26-2006, 07:53 PM   #26
New Yorker

Quote:
Originally posted by Blue Room

Also, is the measure of a good crowd how many people jump up and down during Streets? Hmm, I have different standards I guess. So another difference of opinion on that.
Its not that quite measure , but it's a important one , people's reaction in Streets , at least on it , it may be a good thermometer of what's the crowd like ....

Anyway taken from Chicago , I just came across these fella and there are more , Inside the Eclipse , and not even hands up

Old 12-26-2006, 08:06 PM   #27
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

Quote:

Its not that quite measure , but it's a important one , people's reaction in Streets , at least on it , it may be a good thermometer of what's the crowd like ....

Anyway taken from Chicago , I just came across these fella and there are more , Inside the Eclipse , and not even hands up
OK, this is my final response on this. In North America in big cities. VIP's get alot of the tickets for up front and always have. I dont agree with it necessarily but U2 and their management allow it to happen. I dont think that happens as much in Europe. If you look at that pic, those people are in the center. Most of the fans that camped out lined the rails. So they are likely people that had passes and may not be big fans. Also, it was a lottery system for the ellipse in N. America. So you had bigger odds of casual fans in there. I'm also not going to go weeding through vid caps of Milan looking for people that dont have their hands up. But just a hunch, I bet there are some.

Personally, I dont pogo and jump up and down at U2 shows. I may clap, I may put my hands up, I may cheer. But I dont feel the need to jump up and down like a pogo stick. I think that is big in Europe and a few other places and that is fine if you enjoy the show that way. I dont enjoy the show that way. I would rather focus on what the band are doing on stage and catch those little things you would miss if all you were doing was going insane. I dont think either way of enjoying a show are bad by any means. I also dont think it is any type of indication of how good of a fan and/or crowd a person is. Alot of times there are just drunk people that dont even know what they are doing jumping all over the place (I'm talking at any concert anywhere). Does that make them good fans/or crowd? I dont think so. So its a difference of opinion on how to enjoy a concert or what makes a good crowd. Its such a subjective thing anyway that its not worth arguing about. So I'm going to stop. Fire away!
Old 12-26-2006, 08:16 PM   #28
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

Quote:

you're measuring peoples reactions to a song?
Old 12-26-2006, 08:28 PM   #29
Vocal parasite

Local Time: 05:30 PM
Quote:
Yeah, I heard Jesus totally railed on Larry for the grease-mullet.
He wasn't all too happy with Larry's decision to exclude Mercy from HTDAAB either. After all, Jesus is all about Grace and Mercy.

(Ouch, I am laaaaame.)

Ian McCulloch the U2 fan:
"Who buys U2 records anyway? It's just music for plumbers and bricklayers. Bono, what a slob. You'd think with all that climbing about he does, he'd look real fit and that. But he's real fat, y'know. Reminds me of a soddin' mountain goat."
"And as for Bono, he needs a colostomy bag for his mouth."

U2gigs: The most comprehensive U2 setlist database!
Gig pictures | Blog
Old 12-26-2006, 08:36 PM   #30
New Yorker

Yeah as I said before , this is getin old

My final word about this is , My vision of what a great crowd , are the ones who after the gig are phisically changed : their shirtes soaked wtih sweat , and no voice , after using it all with cheers and singin . And that vision , as I see it , doesn't seem to be shared by or some people from ur country , or region , or some cities whatever ....

I guess maybe it's a football crowd thing since Europe and Latin America , who are very into this sport , react like that ... whatever or another sport in the pacific whatever

I do understand this attitude of more like cool down , analysing the perfomance itself , but this I keep for other shows , for a u2 I can't control my blood in fire

I assure u , my eyes work very well , seein and knowing what the band is doing even when I'm off the ground and arms up
Old 12-26-2006, 08:49 PM   #31
Refugee

Quote:

What's the point in axing Original , So we would have be left with 2 Zoo Encores and NO Original with guitar ...
Well, I wanted to have Zoo Station, The Fly, and Electric Co. in there so I would have to get rid of three if I kept it at ten. The more I think about it though, the more I regret deciding to ax OOTS. I don't what I'd get rid of instead. Why the hell did U2 decide to only release 10 tracks?
Old 12-26-2006, 08:56 PM   #32
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 08:30 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by Joey788

Why the hell did U2 decide to only release 10 tracks?
Old 12-26-2006, 10:19 PM   #33
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

I wonder if there will someday be a boot dvd of the entire pro-shot show, just like how you can get the rest of the pro-shot footage of Red Rocks
Old 12-27-2006, 03:44 AM   #34
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 09:30 AM
You mean something like this...

Quote:

I know. I'm not saying that it's not. I just think that it was talked about months ago as if God actually walks through the stadium on this dvd.

Milan!

I think Milan was their way of putting out the songs that made Europe leg on DVD: AIWIY. I still haven't found..., IWF, MS, WOWY. Kind of a "best of Europe". The crowd is great, and the band are more loose than Chicago, but overall I thought the directing was classic Hamilton (with the very honourable exception of I still haven't found... which may be his finest hour as a director for U2 - perfectly captured).

I think Chicago has a better setlist and better direction.