Arcade Fire disses U2?? (old news?)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
BonoVoxSupastar said:

So the amount makes a difference? So the person that makes a popular video that gets played a lot is wrong because it gets "shoved down their throats"?

Please!!! They said they were bigger than Jesus. They wanted, needed, and seeked out the interest more than anyone!!!

Popular videos being played a lot is just how the music industry works. I don't think that is under a band's control at all. I'm not saying people who make popular music are wrong, just that that if their aim in making the music is to be the biggest or best band - I think Bono said both, and I know he said the latter - then that is obviously going to be reflected in the marketing strategies. U2's marketing - even if you don't include videos and radio play - is pretty heavy compared to other bands'.

The Jesus comment was taken out of context. John said it at the height of Beatlemania; what he meant, according to what I've read, was that the Beatles seemed more important to people than religion - he meant it more as a comment on the importance of religion in people's lives at the time than as a "we're so great" kind comment.

mystery girl said:

Popular videos being played a lot is just how the music industry works. I don't think that is under a band's control at all. I'm not saying people who make popular music are wrong, just that that if their aim in making the music is to be the biggest or best band - I think Bono said both, and I know he said the latter - then that is obviously going to be reflected in the marketing strategies. U2's marketing - even if you don't include videos and radio play - is pretty heavy compared to other bands'.

The Jesus comment was taken out of context. John said it at the height of Beatlemania; what he meant, according to what I've read, was that the Beatles seemed more important to people than religion - he meant it more as a comment on the importance of religion in people's lives at the time than as a "we're so great" kind comment.

My whole point is that you are living in a lie if you think that The Beatles, or any other big band is doing it any differently than U2. If you do, than you lack context...

GG: Don't you think that it's glaringly ironic when someone berates someone's pointless debating methods with arguably equally distracting and pointless (**in the context of the discussion at hand**) methods themself? That's why I said it was ironic, that's all, your thoughts on Interferencers opinions and their motivations or blind faith would no doubt make for a great thread all on its own, that's all I'm sayin.

I appreciated your sentiments when you got back on topic.

I think you might be confusing bashing the person being discussed with bashing said person's band. I'm not bashing AF and I'm not sure that anyone else is really. I'm saying he's being a bit disingenuous, deliberately or obliviously, about how his own band got where they are, and likely should have left U2 out of the discussion if he didn't want it to appear that way. That has nothing to do with AF as a band or the quality of his music, he can still take a bashing based on the ridiculousness of his comment, don't you think?

I do agree though. saying "yeah well AF sucks" isn't much of an argument...my initial comment about shutting up until he made 12 more great records was more of a sarcastic spin on his own comments, I mean, they haven't even gotten to "War" yet...if you see what I mean..

Last edited:
All this thread come downs to 2 questions:

1)Did Arcade Fire received any royalties from U2 for having used "Wake up" as the intro song on each of the 131 shows of the last tour,or was it simply charity toward U2 on their part.

2)Why have they aggreed for it and also accepted the opening slot of 3 gigs?.Have they accepted it just to "accomodated"U2 or having the possibility to expend their audience in the future ,there for ,selling more records,more concerts tickets,more t-shirts,ect...

The answer of those 2 questions will give you a pretty good defenitive defenition of the term "Marketing", which is in the heart of Mr Butler's rant.

I'm surprised to hear this, since Arcade Fire opened for U2. I had never even heard of this indie band. Before, U2 gave them exposure. Talk about being ungrateful.

Cigar said:

The answer of those 2 questions will give you a pretty good defenitive defenition of the term "Marketing", which is in the heart of Mr Butler's rant.

A stor said:
I'm surprised to hear this, since Arcade Fire opened for U2. I had never even heard of this indie band. Before, U2 gave them exposure. Talk about being ungrateful.

Actually, I'm pretty sure Win is able to separate U2's music and U2, the machine. You really can have issues with the
"oversaturation," as GG put it, and still have great admiration for the band and its music...or not. It's all just opinion and dialogue, and with these interviews, as in Win's case, it's a remark that was caught in time on tape. Who's to say he might think differently next week? Or not. I've read other things where he's been very complementary of U2...do they count?

My personal feeling, however, is that he absolutely correct. U2 have become the toaster...or at least the Ipod. Almost every flyer I see these days advertising electronic supplies has a head-shot of Bono on the Ipod, with "Beautiful Day...U2" listed as the track now playing. In so many ways, they've become the very golden arches they poked fun at during PopMart...ubiquitous, and everywhere.

Part II of my personal feeling is that I still love the band, and really like what I'm reading about the new sessions. I'm especially loving the word departure. Some may not...but it certainly sounds refreshing to me.

(Don't quote me on that.)

Last edited:
You know, I hate the "indie" label so much. I hate is being used by the elitist pinheads at Pitchfork just as much as I hate it being used in a derogatory context by people who own multiple Bon Jovi/Journey albums criticizing the outspoken lead singer of a still fairly unknown band. :up:

loving the irony of some of the pro-AF and pro-Clapton brigade

I wonder where all this "say NO to marketing and toaster ways of music" attitude was when Arcade Fire opened for U2 on their shows and when, I assume, they allowed Wake up to be used to open Vertigo shows.
While "U2 made Arcade Fire !!!" may not be true, I don't think being exposed to a fanbase as large as U2's didn't help.

When have U2 not been marketed heavily ? It's all a part of being (or wanting to be if you like) the biggest band. Hate the game, not the player.

Last edited:
Re: loving the irony of some of the pro-AF and pro-Clapton brigade

U2girl said:
I wonder where all this "say NO to marketing and toaster ways of music" attitude was when Arcade Fire opened for U2 on their shows and when, I assume, they allowed Wake up to be used to open Vertigo shows.
While "U2 made Arcade Fire !!!" may not be true, I don't think being exposed to a fanbase as large as U2's didn't help.

When have U2 not been marketed heavily ? It's all a part of being (or wanting to be if you like) the biggest band. Hate the game, not the player.
a) I believe Arcade Fire was invited to open for U2, and did not, uh, "market" themselves to U2, whatever the heck that means

b) U2 does not go around asking for permission from bands they want to use in their pre-show tape. Here's an interesting link you can use to educate yourself on performance royalties for copyrighted music; http://entertainment.howstuffworks.com/music-royalties7.htm

Wake Up was the hot track of the moment among well-off new music followers such as David Bowie, who originally championed the band. I think U2 picked a good song to play right before taking the stage, but Arcade Fire receives no more royalties than the remaining Clash members or Gorillaz do by being "blessed" by having U2 play their song :rolleyes:

c) It's interesting the tack people take criticizing Arcade Fire in this thread, because their debut album, Funeral, basically started off with a severely limited pressing and gained momentum through word-of-mouth online and critical lauding, as opposed to a marketing blitz.

This whole self-righteous U2 fan fervour of thinking "oh well I never, U2 MADE Arcade Fire popular" is ridiculous. I'm sure we could drag up a doozy of a quote or two from Bono after U2 were an album or two in, as well frankly.

Last edited:
a) Yes, we all know U2 invites bands to open for them. The point is they were also free to decline if they have such a problem with the way U2 promotes themself. See the irony yet ?
And no one said AF marketed themselves to U2. :huh:

b) Right. Just like they didn't need permission to snippet other people's songs in their live shows. I don't see anyone saying AF received more royalties than anyone else being "U2 blessed", whatever that means. :shrug:

c) Yes, I'm aware of that, as well as Bowie hyping them up. However, their second album has been much hyped and I'm sure marketed more than their debut album. Different size, different stage of career though, with these two bands. Also the way industry works re: marketing now is different than, say, when U2 made their second album.

No, U2 did not "make" Arcade Fire. But I do think having your song played for a big audience can help exposure.

Last edited:
I love the whole smug attitude about not marketing ones self, and then attacking those bands/people that do market.

If you truely were just about making music, you wouldn't record any of it, you'd just play in your basement and soak in your own self importance.

If you want your music to be heard, you have to go out and play. You also need marketing. The level of marketing that you want is up to the band or the manager.

Why would AF care that much about U2 or other bands wanting to take over the world? Seems like a petty thing to complain about.

If I were a musician, I'd want as much people looking at me. I'd want all the girls backstage. I want millions of dollars. I'd also like to make good music.

Can all of those exist? Yes, if you want them too. If you just want to make music that people can hear, and go about your normal business, you can do that too.

Just gets old hearing bands complain about marketing and the business side as they're giving a interview to a publication....which is in the business of marketing.

Back
Top Bottom