Arcade Fire criticise U2 ( and some others...)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
U2 is disgusting in their commercial aspects, no doubt. The fan club, the overpriced concert tickets, only releasing albums near Christmas in order to sell more...really, it's that last point that bugs me the most. I mean, it takes U2 four years to release HTDAAB, yet these indie acts like Arcade Fire can make an album twice as good in a few months...U2 needs to stop worrying about being the biggest and try to be the best again.

i'm gonna rephrase what i said earlier on: u2 didnt get 20% of the hype that arcade fire is currently getting when they released their first two albums.

Um, there's a reason for that. Funeral/Neon Bible...well, let's just say that Boy/October are child's play compared to those. AF are churning out Joshua Tree-level masterpieces. Compare the 1987 hype if you want to even the playing field...let's not forget that Arcade Fire is on an indie label, so little to no promotion, whereas U2 had plenty of airtime for their early music videos. Sure, Merge can pay for magazine advertisements, especially if they know they can quickly recoup the investment based on AF's past performance, but Merge can't afford to actually get their tracks on ClearChannel radio and the music's far too, you know, creative for VH1.

Furthermore, Arcade Fire don't want to be selling three million albums in the United States. If they were, the music must have lost its experimental edge and turned into obvious schlock. It's the only way to get radio play these days.

Last edited:
BigMacPhisto said:
U2 is disgusting in their commercial aspects, no doubt. The fan club, the overpriced concert tickets, only releasing albums near Christmas in order to sell more...really, it's that last point that bugs me the most. I mean, it takes U2 four years to release HTDAAB, yet these indie acts like Arcade Fire can make an album twice as good in a few months...U2 needs to stop worrying about being the biggest and try to be the best again.

/B]

I'm coming in late on this debate, but seriously you are confusing me...

So you don't like their publicity? Fan Club? Their tickets which relatively are cheap, please state otherwise, and the timeline...

Honestly the only stance you have is the timeline of albums.

Last edited:
Mogi said:

U2 blasted grunge in 1992 without naming names. So U2 is not innocent by any means.

They did?

The young Pearl Jam opened up a few shows for the band on Zoo TV, and I assume given the Hawaii invitation to open the show means they remained on good terms over the years. And Bono has had nothing but good things to say about Nirvana and/or Curt Kobain in the interviews I read.

U2girl said:

They did?

The young Pearl Jam opened up a few shows for the band on Zoo TV, and I assume given the Hawaii invitation to open the show means they remained on good terms over the years. And Bono has had nothing but good things to say about Nirvana and/or Curt Kobain in the interviews I read.

I saw it on a ZooTV interview back in ´92. It has been printed too, but I am not sure where to find it.
This was the same interview where he also said that grunge or rock music was boring and the folk music of our time or something like that. He talked about rap and hip hop being the exciting new future. This is not a quote. I am rehashing this from a fuzzy memory.
I think he was directing the grunge statement at bands that were jumping on the grunge marketing bandwagon, not Pearl Jam and Nirvana. Honestly, I think these two bands probably hated being grouped into the marketing aspect of grunge.

What's funny is the Oasis guy wants the band to shut up and play the hit chart topping crowd pleasers like a good pop band

and Arcade Fire dude wants the band to shut up and stick to coffee lounges like a good garage band.

The Arcade Fire Rant reminds me of the 80's U2 that I wanted to smack the shit out of back in the day.

Arcade Fire will get tired of their own earnestness as time passes, hopefully before their fans do.

took U2 over 20 years to appear on SNL, AF is there after only their 2nd album ?

Loks like they learned their Marketing lessons pretty well, say something outrageous, get on SNL, etc. Of course they need it more than U2 ever did, overhyped mediocre dirge like Neon Bible demands something else in it's corner.

If it wasnt for big acts like U2 these other acts wouldnt be around and they wouldnt get signed theyde be on a street corner begging for change.

Arcade Fire's new album is very good but this is nothing new, they are just one of many that wish they had U2s fanbase.

Most musicians have no idea about business and how to conduct a successful business so this doesnt shock me at all.

Allegra said:
Don't worry...it was a side topic for kingofsorrow's rant.

It's just off the wall funny shit.

By the way,

[off topic]

Why did you name yourself after an allergy medication?

Just curious. :lol:

The best way to stay TRUE to your indie way of life is to show up on S.N.L. Arcade Fire you reek of Hypocrisy and thats a shame.

zoo99 said:
The best way to stay TRUE to your indie way of life is to show up on S.N.L. Arcade Fire you reek of Hypocrisy and thats a shame.

noes.gif

Allegra said:

:rolleyes:

A very wise comment given by a 15 year old.....amazing.

When I grow up, I'm going to be JUST like you.

:cute:

Quick, post another "Arcade Fire" will be defeated link

:happy:

Last edited:
werent they just OH SO earnest and alternative and indie last night.........no they weren't on to Market themselves...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom