Arcade Fire criticise U2 ( and some others...)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
MrBrau1 said:
I love the naive idealism in this thread.

It's cute. :cute:

"Just put out great records, people will find them and buy them."

Right.

Cause that happens all the time. And after 2 underpreforming albums, they get dropped by their label and are drowning in debt, so they break up the band.

But at least they did it right.
marketing a band's first or second effort, or tenth or twelfth for that matter isn't really the issue if they need the exposure.

u2 DON'T need the exposure. at this point the hype-machine-gone-into-overdrive that seems to be their marketing strategy, coupled with the fact the music is craptacular at best, makes the whole exercise wear thin for me.

sheesh, brau. isn't there a radiohead thread somewhere waiting for you to shit all over it?

lmjhitman said:

marketing a band's first or second effort, or tenth or twelfth for that matter isn't really the issue if they need the exposure.

u2 DON'T need the exposure. at this point the hype-machine-gone-into-overdrive that seems to be their marketing strategy, coupled with the fact the music is craptacular at best, makes the whole exercise wear thin for me.

sheesh, brau. isn't there a radiohead thread somewhere waiting for you to shit all over it?

Indie anger :applaud:

Honestly, I think it's good that he spoke his mind about advertising. Sure U2 helped bring their music to other people, but that shouldn't hinder the band from pointing out what they feel is wrong about mass-marketing.

Either way, I don't care - I'll still buy their new album when it drops next month, and you can bet your bottom dollar I'll be spending a hell of a lot on U2's next album and tour :wink:

lmjhitman said:

Don't you know? Brau is right about everything! All the time! We would be lost without his infinite wisdom. :happy:

lmjhitman said:

I'll shit on it if you like:wink:

Arcade Fire are going to find out they won't last long in the business if they bite the people that try to help them. Maybe Bono will just laugh when he reads this, and who knows, maybe it's a discussion they've all had with the band, but it's still tacky.

And not only did U2 pick Wake Up as their warm up song, they put it on a compilation that came out with Mojo magazine last summer. That was the first time I'd heard them.

If Bono was a real bitch and a bad man, with his power (given to his shades that release Ultraviolet Rays over the enemies) and influence he would make Arcade Fire be sorry for never saying that and make those bastards fail in music industry. Apologies would be enough to erase that.

I guess I'm not surprised that this is getting so scrutinized here, but jeez, is it really worth all this hand-wringing?

It's really not that big a deal.

As for biting the hand that feeds, U2 did give Arcade Fire some great exposure, but I fail to see this statement as a big smack across U2's face.

And the music industry deserves most of the criticism it gets.

arcade fire have proved themselves to be a bunch of ignorant twats. if they are so abhorrent of the way the industry does things then why did they sign the friggin contract?
shut the fuck up and sing you dumb bitch.
they are doing what Rollins does. mention U2's name in an interview, better yet say something negative and your guaranteed a sensational headline.

corianderstem said:
I guess I'm not surprised that this is getting so scrutinized here, but jeez, is it really worth all this hand-wringing?

It's really not that big a deal.

As for biting the hand that feeds, U2 did give Arcade Fire some great exposure, but I fail to see this statement as a big smack across U2's face.

And the music industry deserves most of the criticism it gets.

it is a business. not a camp fire woodstock throwback sing-a-long. money is what drives it. if they don't like then they should shut the fuck up and move on to doing something that isn't so convoluted to them.

lmjhitman said:

puh-LEEZ. :rolleyes:

fact is, anyone who went out and bought funeral on the basis of hearing ONE song at a u2 show is probably not going to buy the new cd, and if they do, they probably won't even like it, since it has no association with u2.

This is exactly what I did -- I heard Wake Up, purchased the disc, loved it, and told a dozen friends about it.

His point could have been made without referencing U2 who did support Arcade Fire.

That said, my copy of Neon Bible is on the way and I'm bummed Arcade Fire won't be anywhere near Omaha on tour.

kingofsorrow said:
arcade fire have proved themselves to be a bunch of ignorant twats. if they are so abhorrent of the way the industry does things then why did they sign the friggin contract?
shut the fuck up and sing you dumb bitch.
they are doing what Rollins does. mention U2's name in an interview, better yet say something negative and your guaranteed a sensational headline.

"I feel like I'm taking crazy pills."

6a00c2251cbe43f21900c22523cdfd549d-200pi

LemonMacPhisto said:

"I feel like I'm taking crazy pills."

6a00c2251cbe43f21900c22523cdfd549d-200pi

:lmao: Nothing gets the EYKIW people and the B&C people together like a good ole U2 vs Arcade Fire thread...

Allegra said:
"They bought their tickets...they knew what they were getting into....I say...LET'EM CRASH!"

:shocked: Dude! You did not just use an Airplane! quote, did you?:bow:

Yes, by all means, if there's something you don't like about the business in which you work, you should just shut up and not say anything to try and change it.

Insert the BIGGEST DAMN EYE ROLL you've ever seen here.

Hee! I thought that was an Airplane quote.

I admit to laughing, despite what I thought about the statement that preceded it.

:wink:

david said:
His comments remind me of the things a young Bono would say in interviews.

But Bono's magical mullet deflected him from any fan criticism.

If I didn't say it before, I agree with Win.

corianderstem said:
Yes, by all means, if there's something you don't like about the business in which you work, you should just shut up and not say anything to try and change it.

Insert the BIGGEST DAMN EYE ROLL you've ever seen here.

keep those eyes rolling.
hey here's an idea. why don't bono make this his next cause? save the world from the evils of the music industry. that should keep those eyeballs of yours rolling for the next 20 years.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom