Apple - U2

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
biff said:
I want to buy this, but I understand I-tunes are not available in Canada. Is that the case, or am I mis-remembering something?

iTunes downloads are not available in Canada. i see no reason why the iPod won't be.

as for the digital box set-much like vertigo, nations where iTunes does not operate another legal download outlet may host it. in canada, bonfire has it.

So far this whole Apple deal is looking like a way to get fans to fork over as much money as possible. :( I was hoping if U2 was going to go the corporate sponsor route after all these years, the fans would at least get something positive out of it. Well, I guess we can still hope for lower ticket prices on the tour.

teebee said:
notice that Adam puts a $ sign in his signature?

A little crass, given that it's going to be on every U2 iPod.

Maybe he's just acknowledging it's a sellout.

This is the dumbest thing ever posted in the history of the internet.

For the last time, this is U2. They've never wanted anything but everything. They want the whole world to love them. They want big cars and jets, and parties and fine wine and massive rock shows and on and on. This isn't some elisted band that gets the world and then thumbs its nose at it pretending it doesn't care. (cough radiohead cough) They put all their songs on an ipod because they know someone will buy it. They will get more fans and more exposure from this. And they will make money. This I-pod is why (in part) Apple is currently running hugely expensive ads that basically play the bands tune for 30 seconds.

And don't forget it looks cool as hell.

"So far this whole Apple deal is looking like a way to get fans to fork over as much money as possible"

Yep, very disappointing.

It is expensive, but it also has 400 songs from the band. What would it cost you to go out and buy the 400 songs? Seems fairly reasonable for every song the band ever made plus an expensive i-pod plus a poster to boot...

tkramer said:
It is expensive, but it also has 400 songs from the band. What would it cost you to go out and buy the 400 songs? Seems fairly reasonable for every song the band ever made plus an expensive i-pod plus a poster to boot...

No it doesn't...you have to buy and download the package of 400 songs separately, although you get a $50 off coupon with the iPod.

tkramer said:

Yeah but we have most of those songs already. I have a bigger U2 collection on my mini discs than that Ipod has, plus as many live shows as I want. It was only a couple hundred bucks too.

teebee said:
notice that Adam puts a $ sign in his signature?

A little crass, given that it's going to be on every U2 iPod.

Maybe he's just acknowledging it's a sellout.

I think thats a bass notation (sheet music) of some sort. Deion Sanders puts the $ on his signature. Holla.

It looks like Bono sung a song that wasn't Vertigo at the press conference. Any idea if this was recorded?

Last edited:
edgeu22 said:
"So far this whole Apple deal is looking like a way to get fans to fork over as much money as possible"

Yep, very disappointing.

It's no secret that a conscience can sometimes be a pest
It's no secret ambition bites the nails of success
Every artist is a cannibal, every poet is a thief
All kill their inspiration and sing about their grief

Why is it only rock fans have issues putting commerce and art together?
Damn the man! Even if the man signs our paychecks!

We want the band to be godlike rockstars.
We want the best music on earth.
We want amazing live shows.
We want all this for free and the band to do it for free. They owe us!

You don't want an I-pod? Don't buy it. Don't want a 130.00 ticket? Don't buy it. I'm not going to either. But I refuse to sit and listen to this kind of misinformed drivel.

"You don't want an I-pod? Don't buy it. Don't want a 130.00 ticket? Don't buy it. I'm not going to either. But I refuse to sit and listen to this kind of misinformed drivel."

You don't want to read others opinions that you term "misinformed drivel" because it differs from yours? Don't read.

Watching the CNBC interview and the left side screen, I wonder what song Bono & Edge were playing at the Apple Announcement? Was that Edge on piano? Maybe the song was Sometimes You Can’t Make It On Your Own?

you're all crazy.

by the way, you could faintly hear SYCMIOYO on CNBC's interview. i couldn't make out any lyrics, and no i'm not spanish.

edgeu22 said:

You don't want to read others opinions that you term "misinformed drivel" because it differs from yours? Don't read.

I have no problem with people thinking something different. That's the point of this forum. It's the way people throw the word sellout around here. THIS IS U2. We've paid them for music, shows, etc. for 25 years. If someone thinks the I-pod is cool, fine. Ugly? Fine. But don't fault the band for selling music to us. I figured the whole point of us being here was that we have purchased the tunes and seen the shows. The I-pod isn't really for you or me anyway. We own everything already. I think they are trying for the younger kids on this one.

And you're right, misinformed drivel was very rude of me. If you'll let me take that one back, I will. Friends?

:)

tkramer said:

This is the dumbest thing ever posted in the history of the internet.

Exaggerate much?

Well, I'm a reasonable man. Get off my case. It's my (informed)opinion that U2 is turning into the 90s era Stones slowly but surely. Musically, maybe not, but as a band-cum-corporate behemoth, absolutely. I've been paying close attention to this band since 1988. Believe me, I know all about their intent to take over the world.

For some reason, the music always superceded that for me.

I worry that this new album won't. I am not throwing this worry around lightly. I listen to the new U2 music in the context of their old music, what's currently turning peoples' heads these days, and what as of late I've personally really enjoyed.

From what I've heard in shitty clips, etc, I am expecting another overproduced hodgepodge of U2 songs, some of which are outstanding, most of which are ultimately disposable. I'll be the first one to admit I'm wrong, when I'm wrong.

Thankfully there are dozens of other bands out there worth listening to. If U2's best days are behind them, then I applaud them for what they've done.

Last edited:
It's fine that they released an iPod. Could it just not have been so damn fugly? It looks like a color scheme some goth teenager chose.

if Dr. Phil had a show on chronic complaining, i think interference as a whole would make an excellent guest.

mikal said:
if Dr. Phil had a show on chronic complaining, i think interference as a whole would make an excellent guest.

You're so right. It's ridiculous the amount of complaining and whining that goes on. Part of me thinks this will drop off once the album is released, but realistically, I'm afraid it will only get worse!

Looking for some info:

Can an Ipod be easily plugged into one’s car lighter, be programmed, and play through the car speakers?

Can an Ipod be easily plugged into one’s PC (besides a Mac), be programmed, and played through the computer speakers?

Can an Ipod be easily plugged into one’s stereo receiver, be programmed, and played through the stereo speakers?

Are Itunes CD quality or just mp3 quality?

If the answer is yes to all 4 then it looks like we have a portable U2 collection with excellent sound. Sounds cool to me! Though it will be expensive. $350 U.S. for an Ipod and $50 off of the U2 Itunes Box Set which will be…….? $200 U.S.?

P.S. Let’s say you damage your Ipod player with the U2 Itunes Box Set in it, would it have been possible to have at least “back-uped” the U2 Itunes Box Set on to something / somewhere / somehow?

biff said:

You're so right. It's ridiculous the amount of complaining and whining that goes on. Part of me thinks this will drop off once the album is released, but realistically, I'm afraid it will only get worse!

I think it will get worse.

So the U2Ipod is a nice gadget. But why the hell would someone buy the whole catalogue when you can easily rip cd's and create your own catalogue. Why would I pay money for LOSSY Itunes if i can rip them myself in the lossless Itunes format?

Seriously, who will buy the whole catalogue in lossy format? I don't get that...

I think we really need to look at it from the bands point of view. The new album will probably be on the net anyways prior to its release. So to counter the illegal downloads, they are offering fans and non fans the opportunity to get two things for the price of very little. An IPOD and the new album along with unreleased tracks and all their songs. If you really think about it, the regular 20GB IPOD is about $300 bucks.They in turn are probably NOT going to take in the remaining amount but possibly if they are lucky HALF of it. So wheres the bad thing here?

In terms of sell out, this is something they have endured since they started. Many punk bands threw bottles at them and hated them cus they weren't really acting like a punk band - sell out. As they progressed, some Irish disliked the band for incorporating politics into their music and NOT staying true to rock ala Sunday Bloody Sunday- sellout. In the late 80's their embracement to gospel and soul had many calling U2 sellouts for not being original and selling out to American music - sell out. In the 90's they embraced dance grooves and industrial music prompting some bands to call them....lets see whats that word - sell out. On comes POP and and their bigger is better attitude of incorporating K-mart and McDonalds into their whol POP MART TOUR - What did people say? You got it.

So what does it all mean? That they are STILL the biggest, baddest mofo's in the world who can do whatever they want without losing that many fans.

the artdirector has spoken.

edgeu22 said:

Congrats, your post complaining about complaints just added to the complaining.

U2 can do no wrong.

so does your post balance it all out again? teeheehee!

Again, no problem here with a U2 iPod in theory. Red and black just makes me wanna f%$&ing puke.

Back
Top Bottom