Anyone notice the amount of disdain U2's contemporaries hold for them?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Skwege said:
Well Wish sold quite well, over a few million units in the US alone.
Though I would hardly call Wild Mood Swings, or Bloodflowers, extremely succesful albums. They sold respectfully, but nowhere near as well as Kiss Me Kiss Me Kiss Me, Disintegration, and Wish.
His comment was back in 1987-88. I wish I could remember the interview precisely. I got archives of old interviews from that era from assorted folks that I should go through sometime. I'll try to find out the source precisely. Nonetheless it was nothing overtly negative, just said U2 was predictable and overtly commercial. Which this was during the Rattle & Hum era, and I would actually be keen to agree with him on the predictability aspect. Though criticizing them for being too commercial is just silly, since The Cure were selling out the same venues U2 were at the sametime.
Though I am curious as to whether he has ever met Bono. Be kinda funny seeing those two together. The two most innovative and talented songwriters of their generation.

I agree with every word you said in this post. Good stuff. :up:

Did you know that Morrissey and Robert supposedly made up?

So I've heard atleast, I think their whole rivalry was fairly blown out of proportion.

PS - That Hulk comment was fantastic. I will be watching your posts closely. You seem to have potential in art of hilarity.

Last edited:
I HIGHLY doubt they would ever make up. Morrissey is an egotistical twat who is suing one of his fansites at the moment.
I never felt it was blown out of proportion. Robert once said how much of a sad individual Morrissey was, and that he should just go ahead and kill himself before he does it for him.
Funny stuff.

u2popmofo said:

I agree with every word you said in this post. Good stuff. :up:

Did you know that Morrissey and Robert supposedly made up?

So I've heard atleast, I think their whole rivalry was fairly blown out of proportion.

PS - That Hulk comment was fantastic. I will be watching your posts closely. You seem to have potential in art of hilarity.

Is it odd that The Smiths and The Cure are 2 of my favorite groups?

Probably.

u2popmofo said:
Is it odd that The Smiths and The Cure are 2 of my favorite groups?

Probably.

I like both, ironically though my favorite Smiths tracks are instrumentals. Johnny Marr is great. Almost like him more than The Edge.
Almost though:)

Good stuff Skwedge. I recommend you check out "Just the Bang and the Clatter" in the "Lemonade Stand" section of Interference.

It's the general music section. I have a feeling you'd fit in quite well there (with my musical tastes atleast).

Now I have the desire to listen to The Smiths.

u2popmofo said:
Good stuff Skwedge. I recommend you check out "Just the Bang and the Clatter" in the "Lemonade Stand" section of Interference.

It's the general music section. I have a feeling you'd fit in quite well there (with my musical tastes atleast).

Now I have the desire to listen to The Smiths.

Okay cool, cause I didnt wanna take this thread too far off topic. See ya over there.

PS - It's at the top of the page in Lemonade Stand. It is it's own little section, not just a thread. (I say that because I didnt notice the forum there until I'd been using Interference regularly for quite some time)

SkeeK said:
u2 fans seem to disdain anything that outdoes U2.. look at the disdain for pop music, or lose yourself when it won the oscar. .

I'm gonna disagree with you on that one. Hell I'm a huge fan, but I will never and have never disliked a band/song simpyl because they out did or out won U2. I still like lose yourself (well kinda- it's a bit over played at this moment, I'll probably liek it more in two years than I do now.) Also I give very little credit to ultra media related events like the Oscars. How the hell should they know about U2? They hardly know about film.
I think that people just like something to hate and they hate U2 because they are popular. Perhaps these same peopel just need to listen to the radio less as well. I bet if I listened to it a lot I would be sick of them playing U2. Those damn stations just get ahodl of one song and play it and play it and play it. Very aggrevating.

And U2 fans are just swell!!!

I LOVE THE SMITHS! I think they make The Cure look silly. I like the Cure, but nowhere near the talent and influence of the Smiths IMO.

I imagine that Morrissey is a pretentious twat, but hey, I still love him. Some of the best lyrics and lyrical phrasing ever in music.

And as for the Cure's success in the 90's - Wish was certified Platinum, Wild Mood Swings certified Gold and Bloodflowers, Galore and Show remains uncertified.

Last edited:
Oh you're deluding yourself my friend. The Cure at their peak from 85-92 had the most talented musicians in modern rock. Porl Thompson could outplay Johnny Marr, or any other guitarist for that matter anyday. Porl rules!

womanfish said:
I LOVE THE SMITHS! I think they make The Cure look silly. I like the Cure, but nowhere near the talent and influence of the Smiths IMO.

I imagine that Morrissey is a pretentious twat, but hey, I still love him. Some of the best lyrics and lyrical phrasing ever in music.

And as for the Cure's success in the 90's - Wish was certified Platinum, Wild Mood Swings certified Gold and Bloodflowers, Galore and Show remains uncertified.

Skwege said:
Thats what I always find funny about people spending so much effort bashing something, like Henry Rollins.
If there is certain music, movie, book, I dont like, well thats that. Im not gonna go out of my way to mention how much it disgusts and how much I think it sucks. I would rather take that energy and put it towards something more useful like things I do like.

Eric
And yes Depeche Mode is cool.

Exactly.

I'm not a Justin Timberlake fan, and I'll say so, but then I'll go on and listen to music I do like and let it rest.

And glad to see I'm not the only one who doesn't mind Depeche Mode. Their music is just...interesting. I haven't heard tons of it, but I like what I have heard.

And notti, I totally agree with you. While I love to see U2 win awards, if someone else wins an award in a category U2's nominated in and I feel the other person was good enough and should win, then that's that.

U2's won tons of awards throughout their career, if they lose a couple of times here and there, I don't think it'll be that big a loss for them. :).

Angela

The thing is that I believe people confuse dislike with bad.
I'll use your Timberlake example. I personally don't like his music one bit, however I do believe he is still a talented singer and performer. Just because I dislike it, doesn't make it bad.
I dont like Roger Clemens, however he is still a great pitcher.

Moonlit_Angel said:

Exactly.

I'm not a Justin Timberlake fan, and I'll say so, but then I'll go on and listen to music I do like and let it rest.

And glad to see I'm not the only one who doesn't mind Depeche Mode. Their music is just...interesting. I haven't heard tons of it, but I like what I have heard.

And notti, I totally agree with you. While I love to see U2 win awards, if someone else wins an award in a category U2's nominated in and I feel the other person was good enough and should win, then that's that.

U2's won tons of awards throughout their career, if they lose a couple of times here and there, I don't think it'll be that big a loss for them. :).

Angela

I agree with what you've both just said.

One of my biggest petpeves is when people say "that band/song/music/album sucks". What a terrible thing to say.

If you dont like something, fine, say that. It just bothers me when someone tries to tell me something "sucks". Music is 100% personal preference, what you might hate, I may love. A lot of people havent realized that I think.

as much as id love to disagree with you mofo, i have to agree.

even ***** doesnt suck by that doctorine. but we all know they do. :wink:

as for depeche mode, i liked exciter. :up: i dont know anything other than that though.

Red Ships of Scalla-Festa said:
as much as id love to disagree with you mofo, i have to agree.

even ***** doesnt suck by that doctorine. but we all know they do. :wink:

Haha, yes. Sadly, as much of a petpeve that is for me, I still find myself giving that judgement to a lot of outrageously bad music. The aforementioned blanked out band name would also fall into that category...

Skwege said:
Oh you're deluding yourself my friend. The Cure at their peak from 85-92 had the most talented musicians in modern rock. Porl Thompson could outplay Johnny Marr, or any other guitarist for that matter anyday. Porl rules!

Ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha

That's very funny stuff. First of all, even though I like they Cure, lots of their material is boring. If Porl can "outplay" Johnny Marr and the Edge and "any other guitarist" than he sure as hell has fooled me and pretty much every other person with any music knowledge that I know of. Johnny Marr and The Edge are both hailed by public and critics alike as two of the best guitar players in rock/modern rock ever. I have never heard Porl mentioned in this respect.

And as for Robert Smith. You can only squeal like a kitten with it's tale stepped on in so many songs before it gets really, really, really, old.

And please don't kid yourself, the Smiths are regularly mentioned as the one of the most talented and influential bands in Modern Rock history. Again, the Cure is rarely, if ever mentioned.

The reason The Smiths are viewed in such a light is for the same reasons Nirvana are.
Both bands ceased to exist at their peak. It leaves people wondering what may have been.
Oh well if we're gonna go by what critics say, The Cure are one of the front runners for Hall of Fame induction next year. Right up there with The Pretenders and Van Halen. It's good enough for me.
And yes Porl is the best. I highly recommend watching the Plant/Page Reunion tour video which Porl is in. Great guitarist, and much better than Marr.

Oh and please don't interpret my preference as disliking Johnny Marr. Johnny Marr is still one of the best, The Draize Train is the best Smiths track ever.

Skwege said:
The reason The Smiths are viewed in such a light is for the same reasons Nirvana are.
Both bands ceased to exist at their peak. It leaves people wondering what may have been.
Oh well if we're gonna go by what critics say, The Cure are one of the front runners for Hall of Fame induction next year. Right up there with The Pretenders and Van Halen. It's good enough for me.
And yes Porl is the best. I highly recommend watching the Plant/Page Reunion tour video which Porl is in. Great guitarist, and much better than Marr.

I completely agree with this post.

Skwege said:

The other reason they are viewed in such a light is because they were incredible!
I agree with your statement about going out at their peak, it does play well for a bands legacy. But I still like Morrissey's initial solo work better than the Cure. Sorry, just my taste. Same for the fact that although in some technical way Porl may be "better" than Marr, I like Marr's style far better.

And for the record, I would much rather see the Cure in the Hall of Fame than Van Halen. I hate Van Halen.

Womanfish, for your last statement... another 3 points. :up:

Kitchen Stadium smiles highly on you today.

cujo said:
Womanfish, for your last statement... another 3 points. :up:

Kitchen Stadium smiles highly on you today.

YES!!!! My cujo points are really adding up now! I can't wait to cash these suckers in.

p.s. - cujo your sig line rocks.

womanfish said:

And for the record, I would much rather see the Cure in the Hall of Fame than Van Halen. I hate Van Halen.

And im sure The Cure will get in, I believe they deserve it more than Van Halen.
Nonetheless I find Morrissey's solo work dull. He never changes. The great thing about The Smiths was he had three great musicians backing up his rhetorical vocals, it is no doubt that Marr was the musical brains behind the group.
However I still feel Robert Smith and Porl Thompson are both better guitarists than Johnny Marr.

Skwege said:

And im sure The Cure will get in, I believe they deserve it more than Van Halen.
Nonetheless I find Morrissey's solo work dull. He never changes. The great thing about The Smiths was he had three great musicians backing up his rhetorical vocals, it is no doubt that Marr was the musical brains behind the group.
However I still feel Robert Smith and Porl Thompson are both better guitarists than Johnny Marr.

I'm gonna go out on a limb here and guess that you're a Cure fan.

Back
Top Bottom