Anyone know what happened with DVD videos of Best of 1980-1990?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

U2girl

Blue Crack Addict
There were a few dates but nothing new for a while now... are the 80's videos on U2:18 all we get on DVD from that era?

im sure it will be released when Bono gets tired of his new yacht and wants an even newer one

Chizip said:
im sure it will be released when Bono gets tired of his new yacht and wants an even newer one

:lol: Yup. When they're made enough money from U218 and want more, they'll release that one. :|

do people even watch these video DVDs?

whens the last time you have watched the 90's video DVD?

i dont even remember where it is. if i want to listen to a song i just listen to the music, i dont whoop out a music video dvd and watch the not so great videos theyve made.

Chizip said:

I do quite often when I visit my friend who owns it :reject: I actually like them. I think they are a hell of a lot more entertaining than the crap that is on tv. These days, you're better off buying music dvds than trying to find music videos on MTV or VH1.

I love my Best Of video DVD...:drool:...I may have watched that more often than some of the shows on DVD.

I started watching the 18 Videos DVD last night. That alone makes this whole singles release thing awesome. I will derive much viewing pleasure from this DVD. Oh, yes.

I love the Best of 90's , it's really fucking great

It's probably the only DVD u can't complain bout the bonus , Great track listing , all the alternative videos , Bonus Videos , and Documentaries , It's probably one of u2's very best releases

Chizip said:

Often. If I just want to listen to the song, I'm more likely to just stick in a CD, but a lot of the time, I want to kick back and flip through the videos on the DVD. Plus my mom, who likes U2 too, usually prefers to watch the videos than to just listen to the songs. She refers to it as "The Buffalo DVD".

redhotswami said:
The Discotheque alternate video rocks my world.
Is that on the 90s DVD? If it is, then I've seriously never noticed it. It took me months before I finally noticed the alternate Staring at the Sun video.

So how do you access this alternate Discotheque video? I'm not aware of one being on that DVD.

Last edited:
Chizip said:

I would think they have to bring in some kind of revenue as they pay many people's salaries throughout the year...even when they don't have a new album or are touring.

Besides, one doesn't have to buy it.

greenlight7-11 said:
So how do you access this alternate Discotheque video? I'm not aware of one being on that DVD.

When your at the title screen for the video, just move your control arrow down. It looks like one video was made by 2 directors, so it is kinda misleading. But just move to select the one by the second director :)

I personally think the 80's Best Of DVD will get released in a quieter period sometime in the next few years.

I might be wrong but I personally think the whole U218 thing has only really come about as a fulfilment for their post 'Pop' $50 million Polygram contract, which was for 3 compilations and 5 new albums if I remember rightly. I'm guessing they could have rushed this one through to fulfil their obligations on the compilations side of that deal as they prepare for the switchover to Mercury, although that still doesn't account for 3 new albums (2 if you don't count MDH).

So, maybe we might have seen the 80's DVD being released this year if it wasn't for U218 getting priority, but who knows.

I also seem to recall hearing back at the time about trouble sourcing high enough quality material for items they wanted to include on this DVD (probably extras) - but that is a distant memory and I might be getting mixed up with the Zoo TV DVD, or potential Mexico 97 and Red Rocks DVD's.

This is a cool alternative anyhow, and like others who have posted here whilst I don't watch the 90's DVD regularly (mainly as I've seen them all a million times over the years lol) I'll maybe take a look once every couple of years perhaps, its still great to have there as a visual document and reminder of U2 as they were through the 90's.

Bring on the 80's Best Of :yes:

Last edited:
reggiethedawg said:
I personally think the 80's Best Of DVD will get released in a quieter period sometime in the next few years.

I might be wrong but I personally think the whole U218 thing has only really come about as a fulfilment for their post 'Pop' $50 million Polygram contract, which was for 3 compilations and 5 new albums if I remember rightly. I'm guessing they could have rushed this one through to fulfil their obligations on the compilations side of that deal as they prepare for the switchover to Mercury, although that still doesn't account for 3 new albums (2 if you don't count MDH).

So, maybe we might have seen the 80's DVD being released this year if it wasn't for U218 getting priority, but who knows.

I also seem to recall hearing back at the time about trouble sourcing high enough quality material for items they wanted to include on this DVD (probably extras) - but that is a distant memory and I might be getting mixed up with the Zoo TV DVD, or potential Mexico 97 and Red Rocks DVD's.

This is a cool alternative anyhow, and like others who have posted here whilst I don't watch the 90's DVD regularly (mainly as I've seen them all a million times over the years lol) I'll maybe take a look once every couple of years perhaps, its still great to have there as a visual document and reminder of U2 as they were through the 90's.

Bring on the 80's Best Of :yes:

whoa...i feel like i'm seeing double! must be a popular name :wink:

I had NO IDEA there was a potential RR DVD :drool: omg PLEASE! All I have is a crap quality tape when I recorded it from a video store I used to work at.

redhotswami said:

whoa...i feel like i'm seeing double! must be a popular name :wink:

Lol yeah, but there will only ever be one real reggiethedawg and he's pretty handy with a guitar as I understand :rockon:

I had NO IDEA there was a potential RR DVD :drool: omg PLEASE! All I have is a crap quality tape when I recorded it from a video store I used to work at.

I think there was just talk of Red Rocks and Mexico 97 making an official DVD release at some point, probably as a reaction to all the bootlegs of these that started cropping up enmasse maybe 5 years ago. But who knows when we can only dream for now I guess.

I do remember reading this summer that the band were in dispute with the owners of Red Rocks who had come into possession of the masters (about 50 boxes worth of master recordings filmed / recorded at Red Rocks) and were trying to recover their own performances back from them - I assume to master a DVD at some point.

redhotswami said:

When your at the title screen for the video, just move your control arrow down. It looks like one video was made by 2 directors, so it is kinda misleading. But just move to select the one by the second director :)
There's only one director on the title screen for Discotheque, which is Sednaoui. Maybe you've got it mixed up with one of the other songs that has an alternate video.

Back
Top Bottom