Anyone here see U2 on the Boy Tour or October Tour?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

STING2

Rock n' Roll Doggie FOB
I'm curious to know. If so, where and when did you see them and what are your memories, performance wise, and of course songs played.

I did like them at that time, but I don't recall ever hearing of them coming to my area (Richmond VA area) back then. I know several old timers here have seen them then and I hope they post their stories for us!

I asked the question about the WAR tour last year and only got one response from someone who actually saw the WAR tour in Atlanta. But its a year later and there are new members. I'll be very surprised if someone on here actually saw a Boy Tour or October tour show. I hope there is someone though, because I think their answers to the questions above will be interesting.

Well, I liked them since Boy came out, but didn't see them for the first time until the War tour. I saw them at a Long Island, NY club called Mailbu. I wasn't old enough to get in, but my cousin knew the bouncers who snuck me in for the show. There were only a few hundred people in the club so needless to say, it was an awesome experience!

I'm looking forward to seeing if any one same them during Boy and October.

I went to a small club called the Reseda Country Club in Reseda, California on U2's first visit to California on March 15th, 1981 on the 3rd leg of the Boy Tour. When I went to the show, the concert was sold out, because of the small venue, so I had to hear the show from outside the club. Just recently I was able to download the actual show called "The Ides of March", and it had the same intensity that I remember so many years ago. I so wish I would have gotten to the venue earlier, but it was about an hour and half from where I lived in Southern California.

The main set consisted of The Ocean, Twilight, I Will Follow, 11 O'Clock Tick Tock, An Cat Dubh, Into The Heart, Another Time Another Place, Electric Co., Things To Make And Do, Stories For Boys, Boy-Girl, Out Of Control. The encore was 11 O'Clock Tick Tock, The Ocean, I Will Follow, all 3 songs which were played in the main set ( not an uncommon practice for European band of that day), and A Day Without Me

Chris

B-GIRL,
Was that show at that malibue club on Long Island on WAR tour in the town of Stony Brook NY? There was a show there on May 1, 1983 and I checked the map and is on Long Island on the north side. The Venue was not mentioned, just Stony Brook NY. I'm betting this was the show you were at.

Chris,
You should have gone to the next show on March 16, 1981 at Anaheim CA, at a place called Woodstock. The place had a capacity of 400 but only 12 people showed up. Thats right, 12 people. You could have been #13. Probably would have met the band after the show. But most people obviously had no idea about the show which is why there were only 12 people there.

Did you already own BOY at the time of the Reseda show that you had to listen to from the outside? Could you see anything inside the club? Did you go to see the next U2 show in Southern California which was on the October tour and took place on November 28, 1981 in Los Angeles CA at the Hollywood Palladium?

STING2 said:
B-GIRL,
Was that show at that malibue club on Long Island on WAR tour in the town of Stony Brook NY? There was a show there on May 1, 1983 and I checked the map and is on Long Island on the north side. The Venue was not mentioned, just Stony Brook NY. I'm betting this was the show you were at.

The Stony Brook Show was NOT at a night club, it was at the universities performing art center, which I pass every day during the semester... :)

spanisheyes said:
I went to a small club called the Reseda Country Club in Reseda, California on U2's first visit to California on March 15th, 1981 on the 3rd leg of the Boy Tour.
Chris

Holy moly, Chris. I thought I remembered from reading your stories that you became a fan of the band a bit later, like during the War tour. In any case, the Reseda show must be a great memory for you.

STING2 said:
Chris,
You should have gone to the next show on March 16, 1981 at Anaheim CA, at a place called Woodstock. The place had a capacity of 400 but only 12 people showed up. Thats right, 12 people. You could have been #13. Probably would have met the band after the show. But most people obviously had no idea about the show which is why there were only 12 people there.

Did you already own BOY at the time of the Reseda show that you had to listen to from the outside? Could you see anything inside the club? Did you go to see the next U2 show in Southern California which was on the October tour and took place on November 28, 1981 in Los Angeles CA at the Hollywood Palladium?

Yeah STING2 that would have been awesome to have seen the March 16 show. But as you mentioned, I didn't hear anything about it. It is hard to imagine that I had just turned 18 when U2 came out to California the first time, and that they were just 19-21 years old themselves.

As far as the November 28, 1981 show, I missed that one all together because of some personal problems at the time. I used to love seeing shows at the Palladium, so obviously I was bummed not seeing this show as well. I would also miss other U2 shows to California including May 13, 1981 (3rd leg of the Boy Tour) at the Santa Monica Civic Center, March 27, 1982 (3rd leg of the October tour) at the Los Angeles Sports Arena, and May 30, 1983 (War Tour) at Glen Helen Regional Park in Devore, CA.

It wouldn't be until December 16, 1984, that I would finally get to see U2 live, and inside the venue. It was the 2nd leg of the Unforgettable Fire tour. I could kick myself back now for missing so many great shows in their early years. One of the reason though, was because a local radio station in Los Angeles called KROQ, started playing a lot of U2 from the very beginning. In fact, it was from this station that I first heard "I Will Follow" on the radio, and fell in love immediately with U2. So when U2 came to California, tickets were often hard to come by, especially when playing small clubs their first few years of touring California and the U.S. for that matter.

Chris

Sting2, Okay, so I'm a little slow on the uptake! It was at Malibu in Lido Beach, NY which is on the south shore and it was the October tour not War. By War they were playing biger clubs in NYC. And friends and I same them at Pier 84. I went back and looked at some old tix I have and figured out where I went wrong. My memory just ain't what it used to be..... Sorry for the mix-up.

By the way, I now feel incredibly old.....

WOW B-girl,
You first show was on the October tour! What are your memories? You are the only person here to mention they saw U2 on the October tour inside the venue! How old were you at the time if I may ask? Also do you own both October and Boy before you saw the show?

To tell the truth, I don't remember all that much. I definitely don't remember the playlist. I was only 12 at the time and you had to be 16 to get in. My cousin knew the bouncers because she went to the club on a regular basis. I knew the band because I used to listen to a college radio station that this same cousin introduced me to. I only owned Boy at that point. There were probably less than two hundred people there. All I really remember is the immense energy. Bono had the crowd totally going. It was cool. It's really great to have been able to follow the band for this long and really be a part of their evolution.

I caught U2 for the 1st time on their October tour. They played on campus at the University of Tennessee during my first year in college there. They played in this little crap building that they used for a basketball gym so the sound was awful, but the show was great. This would've been some time spring quarter of 1982...

This was back in the day when Bono ran up into the crowd, jumped off the stage, etc. There were a ton of people there.

(I also saw them on the WAR tour in Atlanta - was that me?)

Last edited:
Crzy4Bono said:
They played on campus at the University of Tennessee

yeah and now they never play this state at all anymore. :(

i wish i had been old enough to see them at all before popmart. although, my mom did once drop off my babysitter at her church. her youth group was meeting there and they were going to see U2. this would've been sometime between summer 1983 and spring 1985 in pittsburgh, pennsylvania. i assume it would've been the unforgettable fire tour, since i think they weren't touring america in late 83 or early 85 (or at least not in the northeast).

Back
Top Bottom