Anyone Here Have Hollywood Contacts (A Long Shot)?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

melon

ONE love, blood, life
To the mods: please leave this topic in this forum. I understand that it is not U2-related, but I have put it here to get wider exposure. I thank you in advance.

To everyone: Do you happen to know anyone, directly or indirectly, who could possibly have contacts to Hollywood? The reason I'm asking is that I really would like to try and sell my scripts to perhaps create a new TV show or film. Any help would be appreciated.

I understand that this is a long shot, but I thought I could at least give it a try. Thanks in advance...

Melon

------------------
"He had lived through an age when men and women with energy and ruthlessness but without much ability or persistence excelled. And even though most of them had gone under, their ignorance had confused Roy, making him wonder whether the things he had striven to learn, and thought of as 'culture,' were irrelevant. Everything was supposed to be the same: commercials, Beethoven's late quartets, pop records, shopfronts, Freud, multi-coloured hair. Greatness, comparison, value, depth: gone, gone, gone. Anything could give some pleasure; he saw that. But not everything provided the sustenance of a deeper understanding." - Hanif Kureishi, Love in a Blue Time

Does it have to be Hollywood per se? I know some friends of mine have some contacts within the "industry" but it's more in the independent film area.

Originally posted by sulawesigirl4:
Does it have to be Hollywood per se? I know some friends of mine have some contacts within the "industry" but it's more in the independent film area.

Actually, it doesn't have to be "Hollywood." In fact, I'll even take on the international arena, preferably Canada, U.K. or France if that's the case.

Would these contacts be interested in script writers or amateur directors, and be able to fund/help fund projects?

Melon

------------------
"He had lived through an age when men and women with energy and ruthlessness but without much ability or persistence excelled. And even though most of them had gone under, their ignorance had confused Roy, making him wonder whether the things he had striven to learn, and thought of as 'culture,' were irrelevant. Everything was supposed to be the same: commercials, Beethoven's late quartets, pop records, shopfronts, Freud, multi-coloured hair. Greatness, comparison, value, depth: gone, gone, gone. Anything could give some pleasure; he saw that. But not everything provided the sustenance of a deeper understanding." - Hanif Kureishi, Love in a Blue Time

this sounds like a great idea. is there any way to get a copy of the script? i know many actors, writers and directors. i live in nyc and am connected to the industry.

Originally posted by no disk:
this sounds like a great idea. is there any way to get a copy of the script? i know many actors, writers and directors. i live in nyc and am connected to the industry.

Hey no disk...thanks for writing!

There is a way to get a copy of the script, but, understandably, I am very protective of my scripts over the internet. As you're aware, I'm sure, fraud and intellectual property theft (i.e., my scripts) is rampant.

However, I'd love to talk and learn of the specifics. If there is a way to talk to your contacts directly, with sincere interest, I would not be opposed to either e-mail correspondence or even myself making a trip out to New York or LA or wherever your contacts are located.

Regardless, I'm sure something can be worked out.
wink.gif

Melon

------------------

Melon..
Going "Indie" is the way to do it. There are many directors that will only do independent productions who are always willing to read new scripts and ideas.

Awhile back, Spike Lee was one that would always read material sent to him. Try to find indie directors through the internet like a friend of my mine did a few months ago. It took him almost a year to have someone read his material, but it was at least done.

Also try your university. Do they have a writing or a decent theater program? Most professors in the theater department often know of local writers, producers, directors, etc. Start locally, then if it's good, it will be seen and heard.. Good luck friend..
smile.gif

The ones I am most excited about are works-in-progress, but should be completed within the month. I have a TV show and a few films.

I can't describe too much on here (remember the intellectual property/fraud issues as listed above), but, much like my writing style on this forum, I like to think outside of the box and am not afraid to embrace controversy, while, at the same time, not being so "out there" that no one can understand it.

Melon

------------------

Oh gosh Melon...I forgot to add this:

When I was in school, I knew another guy that had requested the theater department to put his script into a play and he was left in charge of the full production. It became a hit on campus and eventually word got out and it has become popular in the bay area.

Even though it may be a film you have written, it is possible to stage it into a play format just to get the exposure. Have it copyright protected as soon as possible too.

Originally posted by bonovista:
Melon..
Going "Indie" is the way to do it. There are many directors that will only do independent productions who are always willing to read new scripts and ideas.

Awhile back, Spike Lee was one that would always read material sent to him. Try to find indie directors through the internet like a friend of my mine did a few months ago. It took him almost a year to have someone read his material, but it was at least done.

Indie would be cool. The idea of creative freedom would be excellent, and, of course, success brings exposure if one can attain such success.

My concern with sending scripts to directors, etc. is the idea of script/idea theft. Obviously, one has legal recourse, but try and take on a multibillion dollar film industry. Ideally, I'd like to find a way to pitch my ideas, while being covered to protect myself against theft. Is there such a way when you're just starting out?

Also try your university. Do they have a writing or a decent theater program? Most professors in the theater department often know of local writers, producers, directors, etc. Start locally, then if it's good, it will be seen and heard.. Good luck friend..
smile.gif

Did I ever tell you that I graduated?
wink.gif
But I have thought about that. In fact, I do have a few tricks up my sleeve yet with that, if necessary. I just thought I would see how well-connected the U2 fans here were, and, like always, they always come from very interesting places!

Melon

------------------

i totally understand your reluctance to send your scripts around, melon. but the thing is, it's hard for me to go out on a limb and put my reputation on the line when i don't even know what you're about.

the fact that you're eager to come out here tells me you're ambitous. and if you want to come to nyc, i would love to meet with you and possibilily arrange a reading, but i can't make any gaurantees, obviously.

if you want, you can email me and we can go into more detail. nodisk@earthlink.net.

Wow, melon, I feel excited on your behalf. I have contacts in Singapore but I don't think you're interested in that location.

foray

I have nothin' to offer, but I just wanted to say good luck to you, melon.
smile.gif

------------------
"I don't know you,
But you don't know the half of it..."

Originally posted by melon:
My concern with sending scripts to directors, etc. is the idea of script/idea theft. Obviously, one has legal recourse, but try and take on a multibillion dollar film industry. Ideally, I'd like to find a way to pitch my ideas, while being covered to protect myself against theft. Is there such a way when you're just starting out?

For a fee you can register your scripts with the Writers Guild of America.

Althought I understand your concern, I wouldn't spend too much time worrying about idea/script theft. As someone new to the game, you're going to have a hard enough time as it is just getting people to look at your work.

None of the major studios will even look at an unsolicited script, i.e., they only accept screenplays submitted by agents.

I used to work for a studio and would occasionally receive scripts in the mail. I would immediately forward them to our legal department. I could not read them -- it was against our policy. The legal department would in turn return the script to its owner with a form letter explaining our "unsolicited script policy."

I would suggest registering your script, and then sending it immediately to no disk. If no disk has contacts and is willing to show your script to people, JUMP ON THE OFFER.

Anyway, good luck melon. I suspect your stuff is interesting.

Well as a an aspiring filmmaker myself I'd like to say good luck to you Melon (I still have at least 3.5 years of school).

I have some numbers from people that I worked with in Miami for ALI. I was just a silly PA so it's not like I had a relationship with the producers though I talked to them often. They were really stressed about travel arrangenments to South Africa and the set that was destroyed there because of rainstorms that I really doubt they'll remember me at all so you won't be able to throw my name around. In any case if the numbers are still accurate then at least it's better then trying to go through their agents, cause it is their personal number. Of course it's a bit of a gutsy move but if you want then e-mail me and I'll dig them up. mbi16@yahoo.com

------------------
Tha Prickly Comedian

I knew you had graduated and hope you continue on with your education. Perhaps film school??? I think we have 3 other members here taking that route.

How about getting an agent? You might have to seek one out in NY as oppose to Michigan. Get as much info as you can from your old uni though, talk to all professors involved in the theater.

I do agree 100 % in getting your script registered though, it's worth paying the fee.

Keep us posted!!

Originally posted by pub crawler:
Anyway, good luck melon. I suspect your stuff is interesting.

Much thanks on your legal info. It was greatly appreciated. In fact, now that I think about it, the examples of "script theft" that come to mind were people who solicited their scripts unrepresented, usually in that the writer themselves would speak to an unethical film executive, director, producer, etc. At the very least, thanks to your advice, I will definitely be registering my scripts with the Writers Guild of America before I show them off.

no disk, I completely understand your point-of-view, so that's why I needed to understand the legal aspects of this profession first. I'll be sending you an e-mail.

wolfwill23 and mbi16, I'll send you guys an e-mail as well.

Thanks to everyone for their responses.
smile.gif

Melon

------------------

Originally posted by bonovista:
I knew you had graduated and hope you continue on with your education. Perhaps film school??? I think we have 3 other members here taking that route.

I do plan on continuing with my education actually. In fact, I'm taking the GRE for graduate school on January 14th. I hate standardized tests, particularly but, luckily, I tend to do okay on them.

As for what to do with it? I'm still figuring that out. I've been thinking of everything from a M.A. in New Media to eventually going to law school. But I'm also heavily into film and, as written here, screenwriting. I think, perhaps, why I never thought more of going into film earlier was the improbable aspect of it. What I've come to realize, though, is that it is really what I love to do probably the most.

How about getting an agent? You might have to seek one out in NY as oppose to Michigan. Get as much info as you can from your old uni though, talk to all professors involved in the theater.

Well, I do plan on escaping Michigan very soon. My current plans are to go out to Boston for graduate school, but, what I have learned, is that my initial plans always end up being changed, so, basically, I'm really in that transitory stage in my life where anything is possible.

Melon

------------------

As for what to do with it? I'm still figuring that out. I've been thinking of everything from a M.A. in New Media to eventually going to law school. ( Melon's quote)

Hmmm....Entertainment Law perhaps? That way you can meet all the people you will ever need.

Melon go and visit www.allexperts.com and submit any questions concerning legals to them. They have some attorneys who could possible answer any questions in the entertainment field. You can always get a free first initial consultation with a sports and entertainment lawyer in your area.
They will usually charge a flat fee if you need to get anything copyrighted or registered.

Sorry to keep posting so much but since I know you are one smart man, I would love to see you go so far in life.

My friend's daughter works for Warner Bros. She used to wrok for Disney.
I myself am trying to get into the biz, and will seriously pursue it as soon as i get some stuff straightened out.

------------------
Look...look what you've done to me...You've made me poor and infamous, and I thank you...

My name is MISS MACPHISTO...I'm tired and i want to go HOME...

"Well you tell...Bonovista,that i said hello and that my codename is Belleview" - Bono before opening night of Anaheim Elevation concert

Well tonight thank God it's them, instead of you...

Back
Top Bottom