Anyone Find Bono's Smoking Insanely Ironic?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
X-it 7 said:
I guess you can't blame cigarettes completely for the wear and tear on his vocal chords as the guy's been singing for almost 30 years now.

Not to mention the alcohol..... :wink:

X-it 7 said:
Listen to "In a Little While" and you will hear the voice of a man who needs to put down the cancer sticks.

But he was deliberately trying to sound ravaged and hung-over on that song, because that's what the song is about. He doesn't use that vocal effect on any other songs on that album, or on the new one, where his voice in fact has a renewed clarity and strength.

You know, on HTDAAB, I think his voice really does have a "renewed clarity and strength." Anyone know if he actually still smokes? Aside from concerts I've never seen him in person and, now that I think of it, I've seen no pictures of him of late with a smoke of any kind.

I read somewhere he said he smokes about 2 cigarettes a week. Also in the new book "Conversations" he said he does not like to abuse alcohol--because anything you abuse will abuse you back. Maybe he's learned some lessons like all of us over the years. His dad had cancer and I bet he smoked like alot of men in that age group did or do--just like my dad & grandfather did.

Bono's Doll said:
I read somewhere he said he smokes about 2 cigarettes a week. Also in the new book "Conversations" he said he does not like to abuse alcohol--because anything you abuse will abuse you back. Maybe he's learned some lessons like all of us over the years. His dad had cancer and I bet he smoked like alot of men in that age group did or do--just like my dad & grandfather did.

I dare anybody in this forum to actually find anybody that can smoke two cigarettes/wk that is an active smoker - it is extremely unlikely. . .

GG_The_Fly said:

I dare anybody in this forum to actually find anybody that can smoke two cigarettes/wk that is an active smoker - it is extremely unlikely. . .

I know some people who never smoke except when they are out at bars or clubs or whatever, and then they light up. I'm not sure that's the example you are looking for, but I thought I'd throw it out there.

Bono's shades said:

I know some people who never smoke except when they are out at bars or clubs or whatever, and then they light up. I'm not sure that's the example you are looking for, but I thought I'd throw it out there.

Yes, that probably is true. . . but if you exclude alcohol and clubbing, i say my assessment still stands. . . :wink:

GG_The_Fly said:

Yes, that probably is true. . . but if you exclude alcohol and clubbing, i say my assessment still stands. . . :wink:

My Grandfather used to smoke 1 Camel Straight after dinner each nite.

MrBrau1 said:

My Grandfather used to smoke 1 Camel Straight after dinner each nite.

Unless my math is off 7 >> 2; this is still obviously the exception and not the rule.

The average smoker in the U.S. smokes ~ 15 cigarretes per DAY = 105 per week

Sources:
U.S. Department of Health and Human Services, Vital and Health Statistics : - for tobacco: 1989, Smoking and Other Tobacco Uses, U.S. 1987, Series 10, No. 169, Table C. U.S. Department of Health and Human Services, unpublished data. National Health Interview Survey, unpublished data.
Consumption of cigarettes by people aged 18 years and older. 1997 on: National Center for Health Statistics, National Health Interview Survey (NHIS).

Last edited:
beli said:

Well, lucky people in the USA that they have so much money to blow on killing themselves.

Fastest growing markets for cigarettes is in the 3rd world........and Kentucky ;-)

Actually, don't many continental Europeans think we Americans are too purtanical when it comes to smoking?

Anyway, very few people get into smoking because they want to to hurt themselves or others. In college almost all of my friends smoked. These were some of the nicest, smartest, most talented people you could possibly meet (not unlike a certain someone). So what made them make a ridiculous choice? A lot of factors, of course, but mainly no one thinks that they are going to smoke for more than a couple of years while they are young. Or, they feel they will only ever do it at bars, clubs, parties, etc. When you are 21 and you hear that if you continue to smoke (and you are sure you won't) you have a 1/3 chance of dying from it in about 40 years, a lot of people are going to say "I like those odds!" All the warnings in the world are not going to stop the curiosities of youthful rebeliousness.

PS--I also think it has a lot to do with someone's personality.

PSS--Is B's smoking Ironic? HAAALE no.

Lemonfix said:
Actually, don't many continental Europeans think we Americans are too purtanical when it comes to smoking?

To a certain extent, yes, although Ireland and Norway have banned smoking in all public enclosed spaces and workplaces and Italy has banned it in bars and cafes.

In countries like France and Germany, smoking is still relatively socially tolerated. I remember being in Frankfurt airport about 2 years ago and the smoking section seemed to be bigger than the non-smoking section!

Lemonfix said:

I haven't been to Europe but thats my impression. Smoking isn't a big bad demon in many Asian countries either. I work in a Safety & Health Office at a large workplace and we have issues with International students smoking, not even comprehending that smoking might be banned. Quite the culture shock I'm sure.

I agree with whom ever said that Larry being a vegetarian/health nut and smoking is ironic.

11-year EMT speaking up...
"EMS workers smoking" ....ironic maybe.

Do our jobs for a couple months and see how sane you are. We aren't heroes or saints. We do our jobs and then go home and have some of the highest rates of alcoholism and suicide in the medical field. Most of us end up quitting at some point in our career even if we went into the job with a 3-pack-a-day habit, after we've transported our 3,685th patient dying of lung cancer or any of the dozen other hideous ways to die that smoking can cause, but some of us just need a fricking crutch once in awhile, something to keep us going, keep us awake, fend off the things we see when we close our eyes, and often that's smoking.
Don't judge us until you've walked in our boots please.

- Full disclosure: I started smoking in 1987 and quit in 1994. I smoke about 10 cigs a year now, contextually or socially or times of extremely high stress. And never, EVER, where my daughter could see me.

Thank you.

Well that is way to bad that Bono smokes, but nobody is perfect he could be doing a lot more harmful things to himself such as some rockstars so often do. I just hope that the smoking does not harm his wonderful voice!!!:sigh:

Back
Top Bottom