Anyone Find Bono's Smoking Insanely Ironic?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Axver said:
It's worth noting that for a long time, Bono has been attempting to quit smoking. Seems he hasn't been doing so well at it, but that fact must be presented in his favour: he doesn't wish to continue smoking and he is aiming to stop.

So there goes some of the irony factor.

That's right, Axver. I was just about to say the same thing. The last time Bono was quoted on the subject of his smoking, he said he was down to three cigarettes per week. He's obviously making an effort, which must be especially difficult given that he works in a business where smoking (of all kinds:wink: ) is so prevalent.

Smoking is a personal choice. You can choose to smoke or not smoke. Yes, there is health risks involved, the largest one being death. But living in a state of political and economic oppression and not having the 'luxury' of things such a clean water is not anyone's fault, unless you consider being born in a country with those problems/limitations a personal choice.

Moonlit_Angel said:
:up: to indra, Do Miss America, and Axver's posts, as they've covered it all already :).

I eat fast food, which is extremely unhealthy, and yet I'm all for helping Africa. Am I a hypocrite, too?

Angela

There's just no comparison - smoking blows all those other vices out of the water. Yes, obesity is a tremendous problem in modern society but it's much more complicated than fast food - it's all about the portions we eat.

As far as smoking is concerned, you are putting the lives of others at risk by:

1. Secondhand smoke kills other people
2. Celebrity rolemodels' smoking glamourizes the act to younger generations

Here are some additional facts (Source: AP)

- Worldwide, three in 10 adults smoke. Every day, up to 100,000 young people around the world become addicted to tobacco.

- Smoking currently kills one in 10 adults worldwide. By 2030, the proportion will be one in six.

- If current trends continue, about 500 million people alive today - including 250 million children eventually will be killed by tobacco use.

- Tobacco use in the United States causes more than 440,000 deaths each year and more than $75 billion in direct medical costs.

- Smoking kills six times more people in Britain than do traffic accidents, poisoning, overdose, murder, manslaughter, suicide and AIDS combined .

- Cigarettes are as addictive as drugs such as heroin or cocaine. On initial use, the risk of addiction to nicotine is greater than that of cocaine.

- Female smokers are more likely to experience infertility and delays in conceiving. Smoking increases the risk of sexual impotence by around 50 percent for men in their 30s and 40s.

- Additives are used to reduce and mask secondhand smoke. Approximately 85 percent of secondhand smoke is in the form of invisible, odorless gases.

- Exposure to secondhand smoke increases the risk of stroke, heart disease, lung cancer, asthma and premature birth.

- Each year, more than 17,000 children under age 5 are admitted to British hospitals because of exposure to other people's cigarette smoke.

- The risk of feline cancer is doubled for a cat that shares a home with a smoker.

- Cigarette butts accounted for almost one-fifth of all items collected in an international coastal cleanup project.

As i've previously stated, i agree that poverty is not a choice and therefore not directly comparable, however, can anybody examine the list above and then seriously tell me that by smoking you are serously contributing to an addiction that does an incredible amount of damage to society and our planet.

To reiterate: i think if you're going to be the frontman for a cause to save lives then smoking is just something that you shouldn't be doing.

Bono may say that he smokes three cigarettes a week, but there's barely a smoker on the planet that can smoke three times per week and, furthermore, the way he sounds is just plain evidence to the contrary.

Last edited:

Maybe someone should ask Peter Jennings. I have personally witnessed the devastation cigarettes lead to.......and it ain't a pretty picture.........and it's called death.

:|

There's no irnoy here, no matter how you look at it.

It would be ironic if Bono died of starvation, that would be irony.

Bono's human, thank goodness he does what he does, smoking or not. It's a horrid habit and I hope he gives it up, but it should not preclude him for advocating for whatever is in his heart.

Bono's smoking is about as ironic as that Alanis Morissette song.

MrBrau1 said:
You'll also notice, any picture of Bono in a car, he never has a seat belt on.

I would normally laugh, but this is just a sad state of affairs that everyone takes towards smoking. . . smoking cessation programs would be the EASIEST way to save lives around the world and the fact that everyone thinks this is a joke is just plain sad to me. :(

Of course, it bothers me that Bono smokes. It's like a physician smoking.

But it's a habit. Actually, it's addictive. A lot of people smoke. But his smoking habit should not detract from what he is trying to do.
BTW, I am glad I don't smoke.

GG_The_Fly said:

I would normally laugh, but this is just a sad state of affairs that everyone takes towards smoking. . . smoking cessation programs would be the EASIEST way to save lives around the world and the fact that everyone thinks this is a joke is just plain sad to me. :(

I don't find it a joke. Smoking is a serious health issue. As I mentioned I work in Safety and Health.

Perhaps if you had of started a thread about Bono smoking (no mention of Africa) and his position as a role model you may have received more positive responses.

I personally find it repugnant to mention the issues of smoking in relation to Bono as a leader of African issues awareness.

GG_The_Fly said:

I don't doubt your facts or passion about the dangers of smoking. Cause your right.

It's the linking of his humanitarian causes with his personal habits that is disturbing, thus the seatbelt analogy. Would you feel an EMS worker, who also smoked was ironic? How about a cop? Or a teacher? Or an aid worker? Or some crazy rich philanthropist?

Bono is pro choice as well. Does that make his humanitarian work ironic?

Last edited:
foofey-foofey said:

Instead of making jokes about people's serious musings, why not acutally ADD to the conversation? :tsk:

When I feel that the post in question is a load of tripe (the connection between Africa and smoking that is, not smoking itself), the only thing I'm compelled to do is joke.

If we want to talk irony, let's talk real irony. The US government donates money to African countries to assist them in the HIV/AIDS epidemic. All fine and dandy, the US is seen helping under-developed nations and all is good. Yet, through the use of strict patent rules, the US forces these countries to purchase American anti-AIDS drugs that are FAR more expensive than their generic counterparts. This means that the drugs that are so desperately needed aren't getting to those who need them. Isn't that, hmm, defeating the purpose a little?

But anyway, that's a topic that's better suited for FYM. :wink: I don't think Bono's smoking is hypocritical. It's a chosen habit that he is trying to break. I grew up with parents that were (and still are, in the case of my father) smokers. My father is a doctor, and even he has difficulty breaking the habit despite what he knows is occurring to his body as a result of it. And as for the whole "glamourising" bit - any person with a decent head on his or her shoulders would know better than to dictate their habits according to what a rock star does.

Last edited:
GG_The_Fly said:
There's just no comparison - smoking blows all those other vices out of the water. Yes, obesity is a tremendous problem in modern society but it's much more complicated than fast food - it's all about the portions we eat.

As far as smoking is concerned, you are putting the lives of others at risk by:

1. Secondhand smoke kills other people
2. Celebrity rolemodels' smoking glamourizes the act to younger generations

First off, I do not agree with the idea that celebrities lead children into smoking. I've seen many celebrities smoke on TV, and yet I have no desire to ever pick up a cigarette. Same goes with everyone else I know. So these celebrities must not be that influential. Geez, my mom grew up in a household where many family members smoked/now do smoke. And yet she's never touched a cigarette, either. So if she wasn't influenced by her family, it's even less likely she would be influenced by some celebrity. And it ain't just the younger generation who are stupid enough to do things because they see other people do it. Adults can be just as stupid.

Second, and back to the main topic at hand, those vices do hold merit, because the point we're making is that if you use/consume any of those things in excess, you're putting your life/the lives of others at risk. Just like with smoking. And yet a lot of those same people sit there and support keeping Africans healthy. So again, are they hypocrites, too?

Angela

So what if he smokes? He could have some serious habits...like snorting or shooting.....

sallycinnamon78 said:

You're an oncologist? I need your advice! My younger sister , aged 21, has 3 months left to live - she has cancer of the liver, kidney and lung, and bone marrow leukaemia on top of that. She's being offered no treatment at all. Please tell me that you are either a genius or the Messiah, and can get me any kind of miracle drug. Not likely I know!

You seem very upbeat eventhough your sibling is going through a devasting time. How do you do that?

GibsonGirl said:

If we want to talk irony, let's talk real irony. The US government donates money to African countries to assist them in the HIV/AIDS epidemic. All fine and dandy, the US is seen helping under-developed nations and all is good. Yet, through the use of strict patent rules, the US forces these countries to purchase American anti-AIDS drugs that are FAR more expensive than their generic counterparts. This means that the drugs that are so desperately needed aren't getting to those who need them. Isn't that, hmm, defeating the purpose a little?

Yes, let's talk irony. . .

Your comments are a vast oversimplification of an extremely complicated problem that has no easy solution and is a half-truth. To say that the problem with generic drugs is solely the problem of the drug manufacturers is just plain false and many of the problems originate from within Africa.

Now mind you, as a health care provider, I am absolutely not a fan of the big drug companies, but this will serve to prove my point:

In 2003, the African National Congress, led by Thabo Mbeki refused to distribute drugs like AZT (the cornerstone of anti AIDS therapy) to the public even after the Clinton Administration removed South Africa (most cases of AIDS on the continent) from its sanctions watch list and ended its campaign against the Medicines Act. President Clinton announced that the United States would henceforth insure that "people in the poorest countries won't have to go without medicine."

South Africa was now free to produce generics , but it’s newly elected President, Thabo Mbeki, had doubts about the safety of antiretroviral drugs. A high-ranking official in the health ministry had given Mbeki a copy of a book, "Debating AZT," which suggested that the drug was toxic. Mbeki then found a relatively obscure group of academics & journalists who called themselves "AIDS dissidents." This group made some pretty interesting claims about AIDS: that AIDS was a "life-style disease" caused by poverty and malnutrition; that HIV was a harmless "passenger" virus and, most notably, that antiretroviral drugs didn't help patients and often destroyed their immune systems. Of course, AZT is an outstanding drug that has side effects but has unequivocally been one of the best options to fight the virus since its inception.

Companies like Pfizer agreed to offer some drugs integral in the fight against opportunistic infections (Pfizer with Diflucan – an anti-fungal medication). Furthermore, 5 major drug companies in the US announced discounts on antiretrovirals medications of up to 90% in South Africa. As such, prices kept falling, which increased the pressure on the Mbeki regime to purchase the drugs and offer them free of charge in public clinics.

By 2001, antiretroviral therapy that cost $15,000/yr in the US was available in South Africa for $3000. The government could have reduced the price to $350 by buying generic antiretrovirals from India (a whole other problem). By that point, however, Mbeki had staked his reputation on the notion that the drugs were unproven and too risky. He couldn't reverse his course on the medications precisely because of how radical his stance on the medications were in the first place.

Things haven’t changed much since then. Although the drug companies are somewhat culpable, to say that the fault lies entirely with these entities is just incorrect and, as difficult as it is to admit, sometimes African countries are their own worst enemy, as is the case with the fight against AIDS in South Africa. It just isn’t a simple problem unfortunately.

Last edited:
beli said:
I personally find it repugnant to mention the issues of smoking in relation to Bono as a leader of African issues awareness.

This is absurdly melodramatic. And it is a thread about Bono smoking but unless this is put into some context, it would be meaningless and nobody would have offered their thoughts.

The only conclusion i can arrive at is that you are a smoker. :wink:

Smoking, choice.

Born into poverty, no control over that.

I don't think he, as the lead singer, the voice of U2, who has to make a living off his voice, should be smoking though.

Somewhat OT, I think Adam has, or is really working to quit smoking. Not one shot of him from that Vh1 show with a cigarette. Did notice gum chewing, good sign.

GG_The_Fly said:

This is absurdly melodramatic. And it is a thread about Bono smoking but unless this is put into some context, it would be meaningless and nobody would have offered their thoughts.

The only conclusion i can arrive at is that you are a smoker. :wink:

You may have some issues.:|

That and most of this thread is completely uncalled for.

MrBrau1 said:

I don't doubt your facts or passion about the dangers of smoking. Cause your right.

It's the linking of his humanitarian causes with his personal habits that is disturbing, thus the seatbelt analogy. Would you feel an EMS worker, who also smoked was ironic? How about a cop? Or a teacher? Or an aid worker? Or some crazy rich philanthropist?

Bono is pro choice as well. Does that make his humanitarian work ironic?

Well, the EMS worker who smokes is ironic, as is the overweight doctor or nurse who smokes. Or the overweight nutritionist. And Bono is just plain stupid if he doesn't wear a seatbelt.

Do Miss America said:

You may have some issues.:|

That and most of this thread is completely uncalled for.

I think if people read the thread without a chip on their shoulders they would find it most interesting. But of course if you must defend poor little Bono (who I imagine can defend himself quite nicely), then all you will be is offended. And you choose which you will be.

And for those that say that advertisment and celebrities don't encourage/influence people to smoke...why do you think cigarette companies pay billions of dollars in advertising and product placement every year? Because it works, that's why. Does anyone really think that three out of every people worldwide began smoking because they knew it was a disgusting and deadly habit? Nope, the vast majority started as children because it looked/was promoted as cool. (That comment someone posted by Sinatra was a perfect example of the cool factor.) And you have to wonder why cigarette companies sponser/sponsored so many sporting events -- could it be that they are/were trying to mask the deadly effects of their product?

And you gotta admit that the number of people who will die from smoking is enormous -- epidemic proportions. So it is rather ironic that one who is working so hard to eradicate one epidemic is contributing (both by his own smoking and also by contributing to the coolness factor of smoking) to another. Does that mean he should stop working on the AIDS/poverty problem -- not at all, but it is worth thinking about.

And I always wondered about your avatar Do Miss America -- did you pick it because it looked cool?

Wowy23 said:

You seem very upbeat eventhough your sibling is going through a devasting time. How do you do that?

I'm not - i'm a nervous wreck and on the verge of jumping off a bridge. Unfortunately I have a mother and two brothers - not to mention two baby nieces, my goddaughters, who are about to lose their Mummy. My little sister's not going to be inmpressed if she sees me go to pieces, and trherefore doing anything other than coping, somehow, is not an option. I normally get through til about 3am and then break down (which I think is around the time I posted about it).

As long as she doesn't see how bad it is, then I'll manage. What I'm going through is sweet jack shit compared to the way she is suffering. Pardon the expression.

SORRY folks for having derailed the thread there - just wanted to explain. N

Normal service will now resume.

Moonlit_Angel said:

First off, I do not agree with the idea that celebrities lead children into smoking. I've seen many celebrities smoke on TV, and yet I have no desire to ever pick up a cigarette. Same goes with everyone else I know. So these celebrities must not be that influential. Geez, my mom grew up in a household where many family members smoked/now do smoke. And yet she's never touched a cigarette, either. So if she wasn't influenced by her family, it's even less likely she would be influenced by some celebrity. And it ain't just the younger generation who are stupid enough to do things because they see other people do it. Adults can be just as stupid.

Now, that is precisely what I was banging on about earlier. We are not sheep. Being influenced vaguely is one thng, but surely we have minds of our own and can judge for ourselves. I don't know if it is just me being intolerant, but I've no time at all for people who whine and whinge about starting smoking due to peer pressure, blah blah. That kind of nonsense strikes me as being a lame excuse for behaving like a lemming.

Last edited:
Originally posted by indra

the vast majority started as children because it looked/was promoted as cool.

I agree that alot of people starting smoking when they were kids,
but because it was looked upon or promoted as cool ...
I can't agree with that !!
I started smoking because members in my family were smokers ... it was very appealing to me ... and I felt it was the thing to do ... since they did it. Even after my family all quit smoking in time,
I continued for several more years ... because of the addiction to nicotine ... it was harder to quit. I did eventually quit through alot of willpower and I'm now smoke-free for the past 2 years !!

As for Bono, I believe he will get it under control and quit in time as well. Hopefully before the effects from smoking play even further havoc on his voice too.

And for those that say that advertisment and celebrities don't encourage/influence people to smoke...why do you think cigarette companies pay billions of dollars in advertising and product placement every year? Because it works, that's why. Does anyone really think that three out of every people worldwide began smoking because they knew it was a disgusting and deadly habit? Nope, the vast majority started as children because it looked/was promoted as cool. (That comment someone posted by Sinatra was a perfect example of the cool factor.) And you have to wonder why cigarette companies sponser/sponsored so many sporting events -- could it be that they are/were trying to mask the deadly effects of their product?

Whoa there Nelly. There's no doubt that advertising influences.

HOWEVER.

We all know, in this day and age, of the damage smoking can do - we have known this for a long time now. Therefore, although there are bound to be some morons around, the 'oh I started smoking because it looked soooo cool' argument doesn't wash with me. Largely due to it being a load of rotting codswallop.

That comment someone posted by Sinatra was a perfect example of the generational difference between those who know the score on the dangers of smoking, having had it drummed into us left right and centre by society (and rightly so), and those who weren't so lucky. There's a big difference there.
They could plead ignorance. We can't.

I cannot bring myself to entertain the possibility that the majority of kids are silly little sheep who will do anything to fit in and look 'cool'. I've known several people like that - I think we all have - but they were in the minority. I don't know about you, but I've gone through school, college and university without meeting too many morons who think it looks cool to give themselves (and probably others) lung cancer.

Anyone that incapable of thinking for themselves, making an informed chouice, for themselves, probably won't stand a snowflakes chance in hell of survivng past the age of 25 anyway.

indra said:

Bono is just plain stupid if he doesn't wear a seatbelt.

Yes. He's an adult, reponsible for 3 kids, and he STILL doesn't have the sense to wear a seatbelt? Agree completely with you there - he's an intelligent guy and should know better.

We all know that many fatalities occur like this. It doen't take a minute to clip a belt on for Christ's sake. :mad:

Last edited:
indra said:

I think if people read the thread without a chip on their shoulders they would find it most interesting. But of course if you must defend poor little Bono (who I imagine can defend himself quite nicely), then all you will be is offended. And you choose which you will be.

No chip and I'm defending anyone. I'm debating the idea that the two concepts have nothing to do with each other and that it's not ironic. I have no need to defend Bono on this, but I find personal attacks and assumptions in here are unnecessary.

indra said:

And I always wondered about your avatar Do Miss America -- did you pick it because it looked cool?

Well it is a cool picture, but not because he's smoking. It's because it's Ryan Adams and a friend of mine worked for the photographer who did the shoot.

BTW, I'm not a smoker.

Well said, sallycinnamon78 :up: :).

Besides that, isn't it the job of advertisers to get people to buy their products, regardless of whatever it is they're selling? But like sally said, it's still our choice, we still can fully make that decision for ourselves.

Also, a lot of people that I know who smoke do so because it relieves stress, not so much because of the coolness factor.

By the way, sally, I'm so sorry to hear that about your sister :hug: :(. I hope that things turn around for her somehow.

Angela

Back
Top Bottom