Anyone else slightly disappointed with Vertigo?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Earnie Shavers said:
In regards to fans, U2's blessing and curse is the wide variety in their music. I mean, if an alien landed and I played him/her/it Lemon then Vertigo then Angel Of Harlem then Mofo then A Sort Of Homecoming (well you get the picture) the alien would probably guess that they were all from different bands. They're all so different, while all still completely grounded in that fabled 'U2 sound'. Therefore, U2 fans are all so different in their tastes.

There are fans that are completely absorbed by that diversity and are crossing their fingers and sending vibes to the band to egg them on to keep pushing in whatever direction comes into their heads on any given day, even if it's Bono's new found fascination with Icelandic Rap/Metal with a Bluegrass feel.

There are also fans that were brought into the U2 fold by one of those particular sounds or era's or albums and that is what they always will consider as 'the' U2. They'll always have a natural urge towards anything that sounds like it's from then, and a little nervous towards anything thats very different. That is all completely cool. I think it's great.

The music can/is often so completely different. If it were two completely different bands, would you expect a fan of With Or Without You by Band A to instantly love Mofo by Band B? Of course you wouldn't. I mean, if the 'net and a community such as this existed over a decade ago, how do you think the greater first reactions would have been to The Fly coming off the back of Unforgettable Fire/Joshua Tree/R&H? How about Numb? "Whats this just talking over a beat business?"

Point is, someone says they adore Vertigo, someone says they don't 'see' it yet. It's all good.

Oh, and my vote is :up: I love it. It's going to be incredible live.

Amen to that. My thoughts exactly. U2's music goes in so many directions, it's bound to attract fans of all kinds of music.

For my part, Vertigo exceeded my expectations. I'm always a bit nervous when I'm about to hear a new U2 song, because it means so much to me. I was worried it would not live up to the hype, simply because I have a tendency to be dissapointed when there is a big hype about something (like a movie for example).

But when I heard it I was like YEAH! And I love it more every time I listen to it.

But I don't *love* any song U2 ever put out, so I understand and respect those who might have been a bit dissapointed.

will i be banned?

'course you won't be banned silly !:laugh:

Yeah, I agree that it's often about what you "want" from a song that's relevant to your experience of it, and if you have a lot in mind about what you want or need from a piece of art it'll affect how it feels to you..surely U2 has quite a catalogcontext for people to have in mind when they hear a new bit!

but that's the thing with me and Vertigo..
I don't feel in control with it...can't say why (actually,
I'm spending too fucking much time trying to!!)..or should I
say "Can't Explain"!
Oh yes that's what I should say...

it doesn't so much 'speak' to me as
grab me and mess with me, like rock and roll should dammit!

If this tune doesn't take over the universe
then I'm going to
have to look to the deepest parts of myself and figure out
why I'm responding like this to it, and I think it would have to do with my deep love of layerings and
parallel expressions and of that
instance when I feel like I'm seeing someone capture something essentially,
like I feel Vertigo captures something about the
essence of a rock song.

So for me it's not in the least little bit a
disappointment that it's "just" a rock song,
albeit one with interesting lyrics, because it's the bloody *mother* of all rock songs!/i.e., approaches (for me anyhow!) the
Platonic ideal of a rock song...
thus...another layer (! mercy me!) of Vertigo!!!

And at that point my head wants to explode and I need to hear it again to assure myself I haven't fallen into the void..

I think I found Munsch's Scream and it's in that fuckingsong!!
( oddly at just about the point Bono says "at least they know" i'm sure I see it)
:eeklaugh:

Thanks for letting me get all that off my chest...

Don't tell my hubby or he'd declare a guerilla war on me but
I've not slept the last two days and it's not the blue crack but the bloody vertigo. ..

cheers all!

Last edited:
Let's see...

Pride isn't nearly one of my favorite Unforgettable Fire songs

With or Without You isn't nearly one of my favorite Joshua Tree songs.

Desire isn't nearly one of my favorite Rattle and Hum songs.

The Fly isn't nearly one of my favorite Achtung Baby songs.

Numb isn't nearly one of my favorite Zooropa songs.

Discotheque isn't nearly one of my favorite Pop songs.

And Beautiful Day isn't nearly one of my favorite ATYCLB songs.

I'm noticing a trend for myself and I like it!! I like Vertigo alot but I'll probably end up liking the other ablum's songs better!!!

I am going on record now in saying that the one-two punch of Love and Peace or Else and City of Blinding Lights is going to floor me. I love Vertigo a lot and I am getting great pre-album vibes about these other two. :yes:

Last edited:
Surprisingly, of all the HTDAAB songs, Vertigo has grown on me the most! it lost a bit of its appeal to me for a while but now I can't get enough of it! the riff is addictive and definitely one of U2's best..a great launch single!:yes:

Back
Top Bottom