Anyone else notice...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

achtunganton

The Fly
that U2 were called sell outs when they did the vertigo ipod commercial but now Bob Dylan and Paul McCartney have both done ipod commercials and i havent heard nearly as much about them being sell outs...is it b/c i dont hang out on dylan/mccartney websites or do people just like to pick on U2?
*a*

achtunganton said:
that U2 were called sell outs when they did the vertigo ipod commercial but now Bob Dylan and Paul McCartney have both done ipod commercials and i havent heard nearly as much about them being sell outs...is it b/c i dont hang out on dylan/mccartney websites or do people just like to pick on U2?
*a*

sounds right.

I imagine there is a lot of consternation on those artists' boards.

Dylan fans went apeshit when he did that bizarre Victoria's Secret ad.

But I do think U2 is held to a higher standard in a way - they have always held "integrity" as important in ways that maybe Paul McCartney hasn't (Give My Regards to Broadsteet, anyone?)

And Dylan is just so confusing to the general population that people don't know how to judge him.

achtunganton said:
*a*

well u2 was first... whoever does it first will always get more ridicule than those who follow.

It's because U2 got so famous and big and yeah, some people just like to pick on them I guess, because they don't have the status U2 have or because they're just being bitchy :shrug:

Paul Mccartney

(groan)

His new album is on the Starbucks Label.

Five years ago that would've been a joke on late night television.

Now it's real.

Have you seen that poster of him acting coy?
Have you heard his new song and the video that basically rips off Harrison's Got My Mind Set On You?
Did you know that his album is called "memory almost full" which makes me start pulling little hairs off my for-arm just so I can feel some kind of localized pain to distract myself from that feeling that the sky's falling?

kingofsorrow said:
no i can't.

coolian2 said:

I thought he made his point rather succinctly.

Unstead of arguing with a reasonable request from a moderator, why not just accept it and continue with the discussion?

Please don't answer that either, I'd like to get back on topic.

Ditto to Poop Pius V. McCartney hasn't been relevant since He and Lennon split ways (although Live and Let Die is fun if for nothing else than the James Bond connection... even though that particular Bond movie is a weak entry into Bond canon... but i digress)

BTW, I love your description of the album's title...

But just one thing... this Starbucks label...

I agree that five years ago it would have been a joke on late night TV. but that was five years ago. The record industry is in turnaround. And the labels are treating their artists like dirt and blaming it all on piracy.

Having read about this Starbucks label it seems that most artists regard it as a sort of promised land where they can do what they want, because apparantly the Starbucks label promotes the artist on a level they enjoy while giving them full creative control, which is something that rarely happens anymore.

I read that Radiohead are actually toying with the idea themselves.

They also released the film AKEELAH AND THE BEE, which i haven't seen but is supposed to be pretty good, and the script came from a first time writer who won the Nicholl fellowship award. So they gave a first timer a chance too.

Make fun of Starbucks all you want (i know i do... i dont like to see the corporatization bleed into every sector of human existence either) ...

But from the sounds of things, we may see that the Starbucks record label becomes a sort of Shangri La for established artists who are fed up with the system (Like Radiohead... who are finisehd with their previous record label and are almost done with their new album, but still without a contract anywhere)

i am all for making fun of how goofy mccartney has become, and how saturated starbucks has become...

but because of Radiohead, I am gonna hold off on making fun of the Starbucks label.

(even though the back of my mind is kicking me for holding back... because the idea of a starbucks logo on the back of a radiohead album is ridiculous)

i hate myself sometimes
:wink: :wink:

Last edited:
achtunganton said:
*a*

Eminem also did an iPod commercial.

The only thing I can think of is that people might have expected Eminem to do this, and McCartney has no problems with taking $$. Dylan is out of young people's minds, so they don't care if he does it. Only U2 has themselves on a pedestal. I guess we can actually view that as a good thing. :yes:

Back
Top Bottom