Anyone else notice...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
bonocomet said:
U2 did not take any money for doing the ipod ad right?

Not directly, but it's not like they just did it out of the kindness of their heart.

Besides the exposure, the contract with Apple included the U2 Ipod, the complete U2 collection being sold on Itunes, they got a better percentage of the songs being sold on itunes, Bono got his head on every video Ipod picture, etc...

While they technically didn't take money for the ad, it was a very profitbale partnership with Apple.

Dusty Bottoms said:

Not directly, but it's not like they just did it out of the kindness of their heart.

Besides the exposure, the contract with Apple included the U2 Ipod, the complete U2 collection being sold on Itunes, they got a better percentage of the songs being sold on itunes, Bono got his head on every video Ipod picture, etc...

While they technically didn't take money for the ad, it was a very profitbale partnership with Apple.

They also shared in the profits from the sales of the U2 edition Ipod. So in essence they were promoting their own product since they profit from its sale. From Bono's comments it seems to me that the deal for sharing profit on the special edition ipod may have been in place already and the band figured why have someone else in a commercial and not us. It was a win win situation for everyone. U2 got massive exposure for the first song off the new album and at the same time promoted a product that they directly profited from. Apple got the benefit of the U2 connection. By doing the profit sharing deal they didn't have to shell out gobs of money to U2 in advance which would have cut into their profits if the special ipod didn't sell well. A product partnership is very different from a product endorsement.

Dana

rihannsu said:

They also shared in the profits from the sales of the U2 edition Ipod. So in essence they were promoting their own product since they profit from its sale. From Bono's comments it seems to me that the deal for sharing profit on the special edition ipod may have been in place already and the band figured why have someone else in a commercial and not us. It was a win win situation for everyone. U2 got massive exposure for the first song off the new album and at the same time promoted a product that they directly profited from. Apple got the benefit of the U2 connection. By doing the profit sharing deal they didn't have to shell out gobs of money to U2 in advance which would have cut into their profits if the special ipod didn't sell well. A product partnership is very different from a product endorsement.

Dana

you pretty much nailed it

i never got the outrage over the iPod ad. Who gives a fuck? They didn't take money for it, it promoted their music and their nifty iPod (c'mon, how can you not love iPods?), and I got to hear Vertigo on TV sometimes. Sounds like a win-win situation to me. I always thought the iPod ads were cool. The only one I didn't like is the Jet one and that's because I fucking hate that song. Jet sucks so much. Man do I hate Jet.

Back
Top Bottom