Anyone else heard Irving Plaza gig?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

thrillme

Refugee
I was kinda lurking at a bass player's forum, and I came across a post by a guy who, from the responses others made to him,came across as a bit high-falluting, he kinda looked down his nose at bass players who use picks/plectrums, something about anything played with a pick could be played without one, just using the fingers.

Well I dunno what's wrong with using a pick, could just be a personal thing he has against picks, but it did get me thinking, as I was watching a bootleg of the Irving Plaza gig from 2000, I noticed Adam played all the songs without a pick, even those he usually used a pick on.

Beautiful Day
Elevation
Stuck In A Moment You Can't Get Out Of
I Remember You (Ramones cover)
I Will Follow #
New York
Desire
The Ground Beneath Her Feet
Mysterious Ways
One
Bad #
All I Want Is You
Bad
11 O'Clock Tick Tock #
Won't Get Fooled Again ( The Who cover )
I don't know how the cover songs were played, but he didn't use a pick.

The ones with # are songs that, having looked at various live shows from the past, ZooTV/Popmart/Red Rocks, he traditionally used a pick.

"I Will Follow" actually sounded a lot better when he didn't use the pick.

"New York", on ATYCLB, I didn't notice really the notice the bass on it until I heard the live versions. The version on this boot is cool, especially the bass during the lyrics--

"Still I'm staying on to figure out
My midlife crisis
I hit an iceberg in my life
But you know I'm still afloat
You lose your balance, lose your wife
In the queue for the lifeboat
You gotta put the women and children first"

Well same as on the Boston DVD, but on this boot they zoomed in as he was playing this part.

Larry seemed rather excited to play when they did the Who cover. Keith Moon was the Who's drummer right?

So I guess by the guy at the bass player forums' view, Adam is a better bass player than before.

*Had to say, Ground Beneath Her Feet, is great.* Some people say U2 post 1999 isn't as great as before, but check out this track, or "Stateless."

Just because they don't put every song on a "proper" album, doesn't mean they've lost what made them great, just means you have to look for things more.

No one finds treasure by having it land in their lap. ;)

Last edited:
I play bass, and don't ever use a pick.
however, there have been some bass players who sometimes use one (sting, john paul jones) and sometimes their fingers.
it depends on the sound you're going for.
adam's sound in the last 8 years or so has become rounder, meaning fuller and bassier. it's easier to get that sound with your fingers.

I have noticed when Adam doesn't use the pick, the bass sounds more, noticeable, for lack of a better term.

Because of Adam I'm thinking of picking up bass, but I'm so strapped for $ right now.

Back
Top Bottom