Anyone dissapointed thus far?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Hoodlem

War Child
I love the new album (not a huge fan of ATYCLB) as I see a lot of people do. So is anyone extremely dissapointed? There is always a few no matter how good something is. So don't be shy, let's hear how you feel. I promise not to attack you for your feelings (though I can't promise for everyone else).

Just curious.

I'm disappointed concerning One Step Closer. It's basically the worst U2 track since their early days.
It has nothing about it whatsoever. First Time is great, Grace is quite good too, I like these soft songs, but One Step Closer is boring and uninteresting.

I only listened to album once around and I am not blown away for sure. I like some of the songs and I know in time they'll grow on me but so far, it is so-so.
I love Man and a Women and Love, Peace or Else but nothing else really jumped out at me.
It is not War or anything like it.

Really? I quite enjoy One Step Closer. I see it being a snippet live, ala Dead Man. Introducing some other song about faith.

It's growing on me but at the minute i'm struggling to get over a lot of the blandness and dodgy production that overcooks a lot of songs (SYCMIOYO, OOTS).

I dont understood peoples love for Miracle Drug. To me it is merely B-side material both lyrically and musically. It goes nowhere and is a bit turgid.

So far 6/10.

I have honestly been trying to find the weak links in this album since I downloaded the songs this AM - I downloaded it to he ipod and have been carrying it around in the car, mall, workout, stero all day - the scary part...
the album is getting better with each listen:wink:

The only disappointed people are the tasteless ones.

And with One Step Closer, don't judge it until you stop to savour it. It's a very rich song that can't be fully appreciated by just a single listen, or even a few superficial listens. Let it wash over you and then you'll see how beautiful and subtle it is.

For those who dislike OSC-listen to the song more times and you'll see it's great:wink:

OSC is the kind of song that will catch you off guard when you are not paying attention. Suddenly you will wonder if there is a new song on your cd. Turns out it was there all along!

Daveone said:
It's growing on me but at the minute i'm struggling to get over a lot of the blandness and dodgy production that overcooks a lot of songs (SYCMIOYO, OOTS).

Really? I cant see that, I was just going to say I think Steve Lillywhite deserves credit for producing such an amazing record. But, each is own.

youtwohearts said:
I only listened to album once around and I am not blown away for sure. I like some of the songs and I know in time they'll grow on me but so far, it is so-so.
I love Man and a Women and Love, Peace or Else but nothing else really jumped out at me.
It is not War or anything like it.

Well, the chances of them writing an epic rock song as good as New Years Day ever again is about about .000000000001%....

That said, this album, as a whole, is a lot more polished then War but not as raw IMO....

They are older!

One Step Closer is fantastic. Those ominous drums in the background really make it.

Listen to it again, close your eyes.

I was secretley wishing Bono would have brought out chorus with a yell towards the end, but the song just ended as peacefully as it started. Either way, it's a great song.

Some U2 fans, or at least some people at these boards, seem to have forgotten what an album is. An album is not a collection of the top 10+ songs ever recorded. An album is a story from beginning to end with ups and downs throughout. (At least a good one is.) Those listening to every song wanting to hear a top 5 hit need to rearrange their priorities.

The only song that I have yet to grow on me (only listend twice) is Miracle Drug. To me, its just there. Its a good song, but its not the amazing WOW WOW WOW that I was hearing from others. I hope it grows on me to become more WOW the next few listens.

youtwohearts said:
Wake up Dead man is nothing like One Step closer. I love Wake up Dead man and One Step closer was by far the most boring song on the album.

I'm not saying their similar songs at all. Just that the first verse would be a nice lead-in to another song

OSC is without that one of U2s best songs of the last decade. However OOTS deserves a more bare level of production it really could have been a classic .

To Axver saying that the only dissapointed people "are tasteless" - that is ignorant and utter bollocks. In my opinion this is not a great album (as of yet). I suspect this time in a week my opinion will be different. However if you feel i am tasteless because I don't agree with you it's very sad. I've always been incedibly positive about 95% of U2s work, this one just doesn't do it for at the minute, it's just to much like U2-by-numbers but i can see why a lot of people like it and i respect their opinion.

redhill said:

Well, the chances of them writing an epic rock song as good as New Years Day ever again is about about .000000000001%....

That said, this album, as a whole, is a lot more polished then War but not as raw IMO....

They are older!

I wasn't expecting another New Years Day but personally they did compare this album to Boy, October and War and it is nothing like that. That is what I meant. This album is more like UF, AB and some songs are a little ATYCLB.

My disappointment is that it isn't back to their roots.

And guess what I know that they are older. Older doesn't make a difference, they are still the same rock group.

After hearing it only once, the only disappointment for me is the production on several tracks. I've always admired U2 for writing challenging melody structures that take some time to "hear." But there's an awful lot of clutter on some songs.

A good example is "Original," which sounded so beautifully vulnerable at the Apple event, only to be soaked in strings and drums on record. There's a delicious melody morsel at it's core.

LOVE the album so far though, especially some of the lesser talked about songs like man and a woman, crumbs, one step closer. Miracle Drug is irresistable. "Sometimes you can't make it" sounds almost too "sexy" for it's content. What's up with the falsetto chorus? I'm not complaining. This album will be fun live. Can you imagine the crowd shouting back HOLA!! and DOND' ESTA!!

ZigZag, great post! Achtung Baby is full of non top-10 songs, but as an album it approaches perfection; it has a plot, a structure. Will this album do the same?

As I have a terribly slow internet connection and am a bit of a traditionalist, I am yet to hear the album, but it worries me that people are getting slammed for having reservations. In the few years I've been lurking around in this forum I've probably seen contrasting opinions on almost every U2 song written. And that's OK, everyone is subjective, don't flame them for it!!!

And U2Hearts, I'm sure you know the ability U2's music has to sneak up on you after a few listens. Don't lose hope, it'll happen.

kiwilad said:
ZigZag, great post! Achtung Baby is full of non top-10 songs, but as an album it approaches perfection; it has a plot, a structure. Will this album do the same?

I'm a bit incoherent right now so I couldn't possibly manage a serious and deep comment, but there is a LOT of mention given to kneeling, so there definitely seems to be a consistent theme running through the album. Once I'm more sane and calm, I'll be interpreting this thing. Now I'm just revelling in its perfection.

kiwilad said:

As I have a terribly slow internet connection and am a bit of a traditionalist, I am yet to hear the album, but it worries me that people are getting slammed for having reservations. In the few years I've been lurking around in this forum I've probably seen contrasting opinions on almost every U2 song written. And that's OK, everyone is subjective, don't flame them for it!!!

And U2Hearts, I'm sure you know the ability U2's music has to sneak up on you after a few listens. Don't lose hope, it'll happen.

I don't feel I made so much a "great post" as I was stating the obvious.

To me, the album sounds half like the "Walk On" vibe of ATYCLB and half the distinct sound of Actung Baby. There are a few exceptions of course, but thats the vibe I've gotten thus far.

kiwilad said:

I know that and I have faith because I do like some of the songs. I am a little disappointed in Bono's voice on some tracks his voice sounds so strained. I was expecting the rocking vertigo style to the album and I was a little taken off guard during the first listen. I am sure in another week I will start a post that this album rocks. :)

Rastat said:
I don't have any problem with U2 sounding as U2...

... because they sound as GREAT U2.

Exactly.
They seem to reinvent themselves for each album and this one is no different. Sure, it may sound like some of their other albums and Edge's guitar playing may be similar as well, but that's their trademark. That sound is a part of what defines U2.
I did not know what to expect for this album. And when I heard it for this first time this morning, I got pure U2. I'm happy.

Back
Top Bottom