Anyone dissapointed thus far?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
U2DMfan said:
I'd have to say if you are disappointed I have no idea what you are looking for or hoping for. Some people just don't know how to temper their ridiculous expectations, oh well, that's fans for ya.

I am just glad that I enjoy what I've heard so far. And if you don't, then I just feel bad for you. What do you want?

It sounds great so far, I am very pleased and I am a cynic who didn't like ATYCLB or POP all that much.

exactly.

if you don't like this one, then maybe you don't really know u2.

because I don't know what else you could expect from them...and I expected alot.

this is the only album ive really anticipated in my life in this manner.

sure i look forward to other releases

but i'm obsessed with u2 ,been checking this site every day since 03 for new album news, reading all the quotes, all the hype

i expected the world, and they delievered.

I gave all the songs a 9/10 or 10/10, expect COBL, which gets a 11/10 from me. I love it that much.:heart:

Well, I have loved every single one of their albums... pop and zooropa included, and own them all like everyone else... And I am going back on my original statement that I was disappointed. That was too quick of a judgment. After listening to it tons of times (iTunes says I have listened to about 4 of the songs 21 times lol), it is really starting to grow on me and I'm loving it.

Vertigo--I think I have vertigo because I go back and forth with this song (like it a lot, then not so much). It doesn't touch Beautiful Day. Not sure it will have staying power 10 years from now; BD will.

Miracle Drug--Best song on the album...top 10 all time...classic, ecstatic, soaring U2 anthem.

SYCMIOYO--Gorgeous, builds beautifully. Very emotional.

LAPOE--Coolest song on the album.

COBL--I want sooooooooo much to like this song, and for some reason it is my least favorite track.

ABOY--Achtung Baby frozen in time. Great track.

AMAAW--Very subtle track in the tradition of Trying To Throw Your Arms Around The World, If You Wear That Velvet Dress." I really like this song.

Crumbs From Your Table--Like it and it is a grower--something about the title line that bothers me.

One Step Closer--Like it, but wish it went somewhere, but maybe that's the point.

OOTS--Love it.

Yahweh--I put it in the "Crumbs" category, like it but needs to grow.

At this point I really like the album, but something seems missing, or maybe not found yet (for me). I am a big Eno/Lanois fan; I feel they get the most out of the band, and for some reason I miss Eno's experimentation combined with Lanois' acute sense of melody. People seem to be loving it, calling it a masterpeice, but at this point it is behind War, UF, JT, AB, POP, and ATYCLB. At this point I like the record a lot, but it is too soon get a real sense. For some reason COBL really bothers me and prevents me from liking the album more than I already do.

Last edited:
Ever since someone pointed it out, its driven me nuts that Crumbs has a nearly identical guitar riff as "Walk On".

I think overall the album is very, very good, but....I have a confession.

I'm disappointed in...Bono's voice. :reject: He sounds like he's straining in a lot of different places throughout the album, and his voice sounds noticeably thinner overall. Honestly I don't know how many more albums he's got in those pipes.

And one more minor complaint. Edge's solos are all too short (and too repetitive). :)

U2DMfan said:
I'd have to say if you are disappointed I have no idea what you are looking for or hoping for.

Bingo. I completely agree. If you're a U2 fan and you don't at least LIKE this album than I'm utterly perplexed.

I almost want to say "what's wrong with you" to the people who don't like it. :| I know that isn't fair, and that it's all a matter of taste but that's how I feel.

Yeah - I honestly can't see how anyone who has ever loved or even LIKED U2 would be the slightest bit disappointed in this record. It really does have something for everyone.

I agree, without the spanish guys and the waves the songs lose everything. This album is a -2/10. They should have repeated Grace ten times and released that.

starsgoblue said:

You've got to be fuckin kidding me.
You're joking, right? Man, I hope you are. :|

Uh, yeah, that was supposed to be a joke. I certainly hope no one thinks guys talking over the music and waves crashing in some way improve music.
Well, maybe Radiohead lately... Nah, this is the best U2 have been in 13 years...

it's nice seeing all the posters from way back in the day (registered in 2000) coming back and being impressed.

It's also kinda hilarious how little negativity there is in the thread for negative people. ;)

i am sorry to say to you all but you are so imature (even stupids)
i do not care if the album sell a lot or not if people like it or not if critic make good reviews or not. i just care i love it, it's brilliant, it's my album, just mine and less people like it more mine it will be. i hope that just a few people like it, i think that is the mark of a true classic u2, because they are about crossing frontiers and in a world so mainstream, i do not want that who likes madona, britney,and the stupid e weak english scene, likes this masterpiece. you all have to grow as a person and as a true music lover.

Originally posted by U2DMfan
I'd have to say if you are disappointed I have no idea what you are looking for or hoping for. Some people just don't know how to temper their ridiculous expectations, oh well, that's fans for ya.

I am just glad that I enjoy what I've heard so far. And if you don't, then I just feel bad for you. What do you want?

It sounds great so far, I am very pleased and I am a cynic who didn't like ATYCLB or POP all that much.

I take issue with this.

Why do you feel bad for someone if this album isn't for them? You just admitted that you didn't like ATYCLB and "Pop" - two vastly different and very diverse albums. Would you like it if people said we feel "bad" for you because you don't care for those albums?

Some people like "Pop" because they connected with it. People like ATYCLB because they could relate to it. Both those albums contain quality songs. However, people, like yourself, might not like them.

The same is true for HTDAAB. Some will connect with it and adore it. Others will appreciate the quality songs. And there will be some who just don't care for it. No reason to chastise those who don't like it.

I´m quite dissapointed by this new album, to be honest :(
I´m not fully dissapointed, but also I´m not happy with this new record. I think mainly for song quality, album style ( "Singles" albums always bothered me :mad:, instead of more art like REAL albums you have to listen from the first until the last song ) and sound. Yes, I think sound is the weakest thing of the album, all things, all voices, all guitars, etc sounds the same on every song. Bono´s mic is pretty the same, unlike Zooropa or Acthung Baby :sad:. Edge´s guitars, when are distorded, sounds equal. When are delayed, sounds equal, no matter which song they´re. That´s the lowest point of the whole record, as well One Step Closer. I don´t know how sound mixer couldn´t notice his sound is pretty the same on every song !!!!!!!!:(
Also I think is time for a whole new producer, maybe Radiohead´s or some other innovative band, because I think Lillywhite ( despite he has produced U2, Peter Gabriel and others ), Eno and Lanois seems to be quite used to produce U2 records so they´re less and less creative :sad:

I agree with Ponkine that the sound is the weakest thing on the album. Maybe it will sound better off the original CD but for now it is a bit too muddy.

Having only listened to it twice through though I know I'm probably judging too early - just that it is not an instantly accessible record, even as a dedicated U2 fan.:wink:

Not cutting you guys down but wow...give it some time to 'marinate'. I remember when I first heard AB I was confuzzled beyond all comprehension and now I love it. Give it some time and hopefully it will click.

Last edited:
It's not the most innovitive thing they've done, but I don't think that's what they were going for, all they've done is produced a great record that shows how good they are as song writers.

Lo-Fi said:
It's not the most innovitive thing they've done, but I don't think that's what they were going for, all they've done is produced a great record that shows how good they are as song writers.

So you're saying they weren't shooting for an AB-type album but more along the lines of Joshua Tree? Just trying to hear you out...

Axver said:
The only disappointed people are the tasteless ones.

And with One Step Closer, don't judge it until you stop to savour it. It's a very rich song that can't be fully appreciated by just a single listen, or even a few superficial listens. Let it wash over you and then you'll see how beautiful and subtle it is.

it seems as though you live in a U2 bubble.

as for 'tasteless' people who find the album a little disappointing........maybe we've opened our ears to other fantastic music in this world.

wise up and do the same.

pleasureinleisu said:

it seems as though you live in a U2 bubble.

as for 'tasteless' people who find the album a little disappointing........maybe we've opened our ears to other fantastic music in this world.

wise up and do the same.

Since this is only your third post I'm going to take it easy on you....but be careful with your words towards other posters here.

starsgoblue said:

Since this is only your third post I'm going to take it easy on you....but be careful with your words towards other posters here.

Ah... sorry Stars, but I have to disagree with you.

Why reprimand him but not Axver for writing, "The only disappointed people are the tasteless ones."? Axver insulted a lot of people with that line. All the above poster said is that we should all open our ears to other music, and I concur.

For that, I think YOU are out of line with your reprimand. :mad:

Last edited:
doctorwho said:

For that, I think YOU are out of line with your reprimand. :mad:

I don't think I was really doing any reprimanding....No need for the :angry: face. I don't enjoy the new album because I live in a bubble and will just take whatever is spoonfed to me....I am aware of plenty of other music out there...I didn't appreciate the tone is all. Don't really feel like fighting about it though...:shrug:

starsgoblue said:

I don't think I was really doing any reprimanding....No need for the :angry: face. I don't enjoy the new album because I live in a bubble and will just take whatever is spoonfed to me....I am aware of plenty of other music out there...I didn't appreciate the tone is all. Don't really feel like fighting about it though...:shrug:

The :mad: face was just for fun! :wink:

And you were reprimanding - admit it. You wrote how "you'll go easy on him". LOL!

My point is, we can't scold a person who says we should listen to other music, while completely accepting another person saying that anyone who dislikes this album is "tasteless".

As of this moment, I like the album LESS than ATYCLB and "Pop". I find some songs sound way too much the same - a main complaint I have about JT. So, in a way, I'm comparing it to JT. LOL! Overall, I find that U2 has some of their absolute best on this album, and some of their most "mediocre" on this album. I haven't found anything I would say is their "worst" (as I can on JT and AB).

Regardless, I think all views should be accepted. :yes:

Back
Top Bottom