Anybody wanna gush about "When I Look at the World" with me?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Sherry Darling

New Yorker
I love and adore this song, but it doesn't seem to get a whole lot of attention. Anyone else share my affection? :D

:wave:

Sherry Darling (venturing out of Pleba and FYM)

It probably has the coolest/most original guitar parts out of any song on ATYCLB.

The bass line is fantastic, I wish they would have brought it out more in the mix. I always turn up the bass when I listen to that song.

Bono sang a few lines from it in SLC (I would know, I was there) :up:

it is a great song. i hate the way it ends. or i should say i hate when it ends.

the guitar part is seriously cool.

No, it wasn't palyed at any of the shows.

I really wish they did play the entire song with the band. I truly feel it would have been one of the highlights at every show. Edge's solo would have just soared .

I hate those people who say "oh man, When I Look At The World is close to be great...." fuck you this song is TRULLY GREATNESS =]

It?s my third favourite song of ATYCLB... the first two are: New York and Walk On.

I love this song. I had actually forgotton about it as I hadn't listened to ATYCLB in a few months and this song just stood out again and I :heart: the sound and the lyrics so much!

I wouldn't exactly gush about it, but it's remarkable how much I warmed up to this song since for a long time it was the only track on ATYCLB that did absolutely nothing for me. But I quite like it now, there's a sense of desolation and emptiness in it that sort of reminds me of "Wake Up Dead Man".

Yer. It's great. It just a song I really really feel right now, espeically in my peace studies class. It sums up how I feel about the headlines right now, I guess.

Bono's a prophet. :p :bow: :love:

sd

:up: It took awhile for me to warm up to it, too, but the lyrics hit me one day. The vocal is pretty raw and emotional; very appropriate.

I remember reading that some fans in KC signed some kind of petition to play the song. bono I think sang two verses between "40" and "Streets".....it was cool to hear him live singing......"and so I try to be like you........"

I agree with everyone, and I'm listening to Stay which leads into Stuck then Gone and finally Untill the End of the World. Gah I seem to do this with every one of their cd's. Have to have the lead up, then the one after and then that one after.. What is it with these guys? Like I need to ask. I called the radio station today when they played In God's Country, and ask them to go right into Trip TYW. Didn't happen, but I tried.

It surprises me that no one has mentioned this song's GREAT rhythm. It's the backbone of the track. I could listen to the drumming alone for hours on end. Larry is spot on, and it's produced so well.

On a related note, anyone notice the great acoustic rhythm guitar that goes along with it? It's best heard on headphones.

Last edited:
I agree with you Mike....sometimes I just listen to the song with the channel that has that guitar.

Some of Bono's most emotive lyrics, particularly
"Im in the waiting room
Can't see through the smoke
I think of you and your holy book
While the rest of us choke"

GENIUS

Back
Top Bottom