Anybody listened to "Africa Celebrates U2," yet?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Catman

Rock n' Roll Doggie
Just wondering.

I had completely forgotten about the record until I saw it at Barnes & Noble yesterday... so I carried that sucka on over to the listening pod (I have no idea what they're called) and gave the first couple of songs an earful (I could only listen to 30-second clips of the first 5 tracks); it's interesting. I don't know why, but I was expecting the CD to be in English, so that caught me off guard.

Oh also, and this may be deserving of its own topic, but while I was browsing the magazine racks, I got caught up in the music world according to Rolling Stone, and they had a piece concerning Spring releases... and it may just be me, but Coldplay seems to be going the same route as U2 are with their next record (lots of middle eastern influences and tribal chromes)... not to mention Brian Eno bossing the band to a beguiled direction.

Just interesting is all...

So how 'bout that African U2-tribute album?

Catman, I have the CD and love it. :wink:

I'm not sure what you mean about the songs being done in English - only two of the twelve songs are sung partly in African languages.

Anyway, if people want to explore this CD more, please go to their website:

http://www.africacelebratesu2.com/

And remember, part of your purchase price of the CD goes to The Global Fund (www.theglobalfund.org) which is the most effective organization in the world in fighting the spread of HIV/AIDS, TB and Malaria.

I think it is a BEAUTIFUL tribute album to U2 done in a distinctive and culturally appropriate way. :yes:

I got it yesterday and its pretty good most of the songs include a completely different arrangement and without the lyrics you would not even know what song was. Pride and LIB were really amazing. Their are some really great drum and vocal parts throughout the cd. I would recommend it to all U2 fans.

Back
Top Bottom