Anybody else heard the Streets ripoff on a car commercial?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

U2Kitten

Blue Crack Addict
I keep forgetting to post this, there's some Chevrolet commercial running out there (forget which type of car, if I see it again I'll post) that has a very distictive Streets like song playing near the end of the commercial. It's the ringing guitar sounds that kick in at the beginning of the song, and that end it. If you heard it you'd know what I was talking about I'm sure. So if you see any Chevy commercials be alert for this and see if I'm not right.

It's a shame, but Moby was right. He said if you don't sell your song to a commerical when they ask, they will only make a cheap ripoff that sounds like it and you won't get any money, so you might as well take it give it to a good cause.

Remember a couple years back U2 said a car company had offered them 23 million for the rights to use Streets in a commercial and they turned it down, saying the song meant too much to them and their fans to have it cheapened by reminding people of a commercial. They were right, but now it seems like they used the sound anyway. I hope no one thinks it's really U2.

I sometimes wonder what these marketeers can actually get away with. There's an ad for (I think)a cosmetics company in the UK and they use a song that is basically a rip off of a song by 'Air' called 'La Femme D'Argent'. The only difference is that they have changed the tempo, and changed maybe one note in the main riff...other than that it's almost identical. Obviously they weren't allowed to use the original song, so can they get around the copyright laws by tampering and reproducing it?

You'd think there would be some kind of law against that! They are basically trying to trick people into thinking it's a famous artist's song, and that's unfair to the artists.

what a bomb! said:
Theres a word for it.....plagiarism

But what do you have to do to prove it? Is reasonable similarity enough, like in the George Harrison vs. Shirelles thing which I didn't agree with? But I've heard of other cases that were more obvious that were thrown out. You never know how it's going to be interpreted. Surely any judge or jury could listen to the song on the commercial and then Streets and hear what it's an obvious ripoff of. I wonder if U2 has heard it?

Last edited:
I think a couple of years ago our local musician used someone else's song to create a new one - but the melody, not like a sample. If I remember correctly, he said you're allowed to use 8 bars of a song.

IMO song stylings from the Joshua Tree era are commonly used in not just commercials but in sportscasts and such. Its always been like that. Watch ESPN or FOX Sports or any sporting events and you hear U2esque (ringing chords) music all the time.

Something U2 can be proud of...

understand...but...

I see the point you are all talking about...but do know that there is no copyright protecting the style of play the edge uses. On those records it is not a complicated tone and effect package that can easily be duplicated, often without even thinking you are ripping someone off.

I think it is more possible that the ad company used the sound because it rang with them and sounded great. That, however, may be because of U2's immense popularity at that point...but it is impossible to quantify and even more impossible to copyright.

Remember...arrangements are not copyrightable.

But this isn't just the stylings, this is exactly a distinctive musical part of Streets, a particular part of a particular song. I can't hum it here, but when you hear it you turn around and look for Streets. Really, if you ever hear it, you will know what I mean. I'd love to have a soundbite of it to post.

I couldn't hum online but I guess I did wrong in describing this as ringing guitar because now some of you think that's all it is and it's really an actual part of Streets exactly. If it was just a U2 type noise I wouldn't even bother about it. It's like the part where Bono ran around the ramp before the music and the "I want to run" part kicks in. I hope you all get to hear it. But the reason I'm sure this is a direct purposeful ripoff is because U2 did say a car company was trying to buy Streets from them and they refused, and Moby had said if you don't sell they will make a duplicate song anyway so you might as well, then comes this car commercial sounding like Streets :eyebrow: so it all adds up.

It might be '8 bars or less' but it is a Streets ripoff and that sucks.

Last edited:
It might be '8 bars or less' but it is a Streets ripoff and that sucks. [/B][/QUOTE]
I agree, it's unmistakable when you hear it. I have been trying to find something online about this -no luck so far:(

Thanks Shari :bow: I'm so glad a few of you have heard this and know how unmistakeable it is!

I've never heard the commercial before but Has anyone heard the new Lionel Ritchie song that sounds exactly like WOWY? (maybe i'm just losing it!)

The commercials are rediculous these days... apparently they offered to use Johnny Cash's "Rings of Fire" in a prep. H. commercial, but obviously his family refused... That's just pathetic.

OMG I swear I thought I was imagining this! I would hear it, but then it would change into another song so I thought I was smokin :crack: or something :laugh:

Then they start talking over top of it!

I've heard it from the other room while I was on the computer and it always tricked me. The other day somebody else was sitting in there and started yelling 'hey, HEY!' when it came on. I came running but I said, oh it's that, it's not really U2:sigh:

I know :| I have seen it a few times, it always gets my attention.

I hope they get their asses sued!

I've seen it, too. It's the opening and closing bits of "Streets", and the guitar licks are very recognizable. Yes, it is tacky, especially since they didn't have permission. :madspit:

I also remember a few years ago, when Alan Jackson did an obnoxious country music cover of the Steve Miller Band's "Mercury Blues", then turned around and used it in a Ford Truck commercial, changing the line to "Crazy 'bout a Ford Truck, zoom it up and down the road." :barf: :barf: :barf:

Car advertisers have no shame. :tsk:

I havent seen that particular commercial but we have a new ad for swimming pools here, just started yesterday, that sounds exactly the way you all describe. :madspit:

Its a speed up motion thingie showing people swimming in the same pool night and day with the Streets ripoff playing.

The worst thing about this is that it's tricking people into thinking it's U2, and casual fans will think they sold out even though they didn't believe in it and didn't get the money:|

I've seen it. I thought to myself "Pfft. Trying to sound like U2..." I agree that it is very very close to "Streets," like a slightly altered cover version.

I can't believe how many times I have heard the commercial in the past 3 days. Annoying! It's everywhere...........

Back
Top Bottom