Anybody else buy the gold CD's?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Mike P

Acrobat
I just took delivery of War & UF on the Ultradisc GOld CD's. I've put it off for a long time, because I figured that regular CD's were fine, but WOW Was I wrong!

I'm listening on a pretty high-quality stereo, and the difference is amazing. The music seems to jump out at you. Little things that you've never noticed before are crystal clear.

Anybody else have these little treasures?

-Mike

Hmm.. not me.

Where would you pick up such little treasures??

------------------
The wind will crack in winter time
No spoken words, just a scream

My Lair

I got them through Amazon.com. UF was new, War is slightly used, and JT is still on order, because it was more popular
smile.gif

-Mike

I'm rediscovering War as we speak. The movie interlude on "Seconds" is clearer than ever. Great stuff.

Later.

I have the Unforgettable Fire. I was really disappointed with the sound of the US disc, and being my fave U2 album...I think, I sprung for the gold. It sounds so much better...warmer, no hiss. Plus it has a longer version of 4th of July. Only thing that I didn't like is that they shrunk the artwork down to the size of a mini disc. Minor complaint though. I've heard the gold War, but I didn't notice as much of a difference as I did with the UF. Boy through UF really needs to be upgraded/remastered in the US.

Amazon.com? I think I need to get a hold of it. Of course, the album I think really has a problem with sound is WAR. That would be the first gold disc I would go for. Does it sound better?

Yeah, War does sound better. It's not as dramatic, I think, as UF, but there's a marked improvement with War, also. Still, without question, worth the $ as far as I'm concerned.

-Mike

I've got War in gold. I don't take it out much though cause I'm scared of scratching it, and at $30 a pop you won't find me rushing to replace it. lol

So they have WAR, UNFORGETTABLE FIRE, and JOSHUA TREE on Gold Disc. Any other U2 albums on Gold Disc? Does the Joshua Tree sound better on the Gold Disc?

yep, those are the only 3.

I haven't heard JT yet, because I was too cheap to buy it off the shelf 5 years ago, and now I have to wait to find one used. I've been told that the Gold disc version of streets will just blow you away. I'm looking forward to finding out.

-Mike

I saw the gold "War" disc in a store once, but I had just become a fan and didn't know much about U2 merchandise yet...I also didn't have the cash on me (I was only 13 back then).

Now that I've been reminded about it, I'm kicking myself all over again.

------------------
"Hallelujah, Heaven's white rose,
The doors you open...I just can't close..."

Hrm I saw them at Best Buy years ago. Hell since I might get a job at a new Best Buy opening up by my house I could probably snag me some at employee discount.

I'd be interested in hearing a better sounding UF, since that seems like an album that needs to be listened to with headphones or something.

Is it true that vinyl sounds better than compact disc? Depending on what kind of system you have?

------------------
The more of these I drink the more Bono makes sense.. - Bean from the KROQ Breakfast with U2.

I have these as well...I found THREE of the little gold darlings at my local used CD store (2 War, 1 UF). I've heard that these things have sold for upwards of $75 or more each on eBay and such, but I got mine for less than $20 apiece!

Unfort. I have *extremely* sucky stereo equipment, so for now, they are merely collector's items...

I've seen them in stores over the years and never dropped the cash to get them. Might have to rethink it, didn't think there would be a really noticeable difference, always assumed it was more of a gimmick.
As for vinyl...it has fuller sound than digital music, certain guitar parts sound much better...of course you need a good stylus and well kept vinyl. Being and old f*ck, I have everything up to R&H on vinyl, and was quite disappointed with the sound of CD when I replaced them all with CD's , especially Joshua Tree...very noticeable difference.

Old jazz and R&B records definitely sound better on vinyl than the digitally remastered versions.

As for the gold...*sigh*...I guess this will be my next U2 obsession.

I just checked Amazon...JT gold is now listed as a collectible and priced at $289!

Originally posted by joyfulgirl:
I just checked Amazon...JT gold is now listed as a collectible and priced at $289!

Wow!
eek.gif

------------------
"Hallelujah, Heaven's white rose,
The doors you open...I just can't close..."

Yes, the Joshua Tree Gold Ultradisc is fetching a lot on Ebay right now. People are purchasing this CD with the "Buy it Now" option for $100 on the very day that the seller has listed the cd!

I purchased all three U2 Gold Ultradiscs (War,UF,JT) in sealed mint condition 5 years ago for $75. I felt a little ripped off at the time. I certainly don't feel that way anymore.

They sound incredible! The biggest noticable difference to the regular cd can be heard on the Joshua Tree's "Exit". The Gold disc version brings all the lows high and the highs higher! The way it should be heard. If you can purchase War and UF for under $30 each, don't hesitate. These are incredible remasters! It is very unlikely that you will find the Joshua Tree Gold Ultradisc for under $60 used.

They stopped making these cds long ago. The company went bankrupt. It was too expensive to make these cds. Soon they'll be harder to find.

Hey Mike...it was funny to find this post, because just a few days ago, I was at The Wherehouse buying a Ramones album, and the guy was checking for their albums in the used section when we found the War gold cd in the used section for 24.99. I figured if I'm going to pay that much, I might as well get it new.

Chris

Originally posted by joyfulgirl:

I don't know what the hell that guy is thinking....

I put in a pre-order for JT, and amazon.com said that the average sale price was $26.00. $289? what the hell is this guy smoking?

-Mike

Originally posted by spanisheyes:
Hey Mike...it was funny to find this post, because just a few days ago, I was at The Wherehouse buying a Ramones album, and the guy was checking for their albums in the used section when we found the War gold cd in the used section for 24.99. I figured if I'm going to pay that much, I might as well get it new.

Chris

The Wherehouse? That's where I bought my used War disc from
smile.gif
I probably have the copy you were looking at!

It was in perfect condidtion, I might add. Good buy.

-Mike

The Wherehouse by me has them too. I know I've seen WAR, not sure about the others. Will have to go back and search it out. I think it was like 24 or 29.99. That is expensive for used, but if it skips or has scratches, you can take it back.

Any of you GOLD disc owners have a CDR? If you copied to another CD, would the sound quality be the same as is with copying of other CDs?

Originally posted by Mike P:

I don't know what the hell that guy is thinking....

I put in a pre-order for JT, and amazon.com said that the average sale price was $26.00. $289? what the hell is this guy smoking?

-Mike

Could be a mistake on the amazon site, I suppose...the other U2 golds are in the normal $26 range.

Back
Top Bottom