Any U2 songs you've never heard?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

The_acrobat

Rock n' Roll Doggie VIP PASS
I've heard most of the pre-Boy era songs, except "Concentration camp". Frankly, they aren't that much to hear.

I've never heard the following;

Johnny Swallow
Touch (though I have heard it's earlier version, Trevor)
Things to make and do
Boomerang
Boomerang II
60 seconds in kingdom come
Womanfish (heard once way back when, can't remember it)
Deep in the heart
Alex descends into hell for a bottle of milk
I'm not your baby - heard the instrumental, but never the version with lyrics and vocals and Sinead.

Is "Jesus Christ" a U2 original? If it is, put that on my list also. Kazaa doesn't seem to have most of these.

As far as I know, I've heard all of the officially released stuff. You're not missing much, except for "I'm Not Your Baby" (and "Jesus Christ," a Woody Guthrie song, is pretty cool too).

You can get all of those songs from Kazzaa.
I did.
Sometimes you just got to be a bit patient for the other person with the music to be on-line for you to get what you need.
I remenber it took me almost 2 weeks to get a Mark Snow "x-files" special-edition mixes.But I got it ;)
BTW...some older/first songs from U2 will make you a bit disapointed.But you have to remenber, they were still starting out and were only 17 years old.

I haven't heard any of the early demos except Street Mission, or many of the b-sides of singles from Boy, October, and War, if any. And I haven't heard any of the AB outtakes, either. I have heard quite a few of the remixes of different songs, but I haven't heard them all. I haven't heard all the collaborations. And I haven't heard Bottoms.

.. that's quite a few. :silent:

Touch is a definite improvemnet on Trevor, but more a refinement than a mssive change. Things to Make and Do is a fairly spiffy instrumental. I'm not sure which boomarang I have since I downloaded both yet they were the same instrumental. Whichever one I have it's quite good, one of their best early instrumentals in my opinion. Definitely find I'm Not Your Baby, it is great.

How about The Kings New Clothes? I like it cause it makes you realize that even U2 sounded like crap once (they were like 15).
Means there may be hope for the rest of us!

yes..lots it seems. This thread will be a handy reference point. Thank you

Blacksword said:
Whichever one I have it's quite good, one of their best early instrumentals in my opinion.
boomerang one is completely instrumental, and is mainly a synthesizer and bass.

boomerang two does have some lyrics, and i think is more drum driven.

i've heard all of these songs listed, except for concentration cramp, which i don't think was ever recorded. most of the earlier demos are hit-and-miss, some are good, and some stink. for example, i'm not much of a fan of "the king's new clothes," but the demo that came from that, "the dream is over," is slightly better.

i heard most of this stuff several years ago when i bought two bootleg cds, one of all their earlier demos (which was cool cuz i also got all of U2 three on cd that way) and a cd of several b-sides, many of which didn't appear on the best of 80-90 b-sides cd.

Beat on the brat
Johnny Swallow

:angry:

and probly more I cant think of at the moment

LivLuvAndBootlegMusic said:
Sicy has plenty of old demos on her FTP, or at least, she did last time I used it.

Yeah I have most of what's posted in the first post.

there are songs i haven't heard before, come to think of it.

the only songs i haven't heard are demos post boy. all i've heard in terms of those are the ab outtakes, a demo of unforgettable fire (the song), and the muzak-like be there.

A Celebration- I'm dying to hear this one. I've heard that it is really good.

I haven't heard any of the pre-Boy stuff.

ericb said:
A Celebration- I'm dying to hear this one. I've heard that it is really good.

Yes...you MUST hear that song! I love it!!!

Warning: It will be stuck in your head all day! :D

To those of you who haven't heard J. Swallow, you haven't missed much. lol :huh:

I haven't heard a bunch of songs, actually. Shame on me...
Pre-Boy songs (Concentration Cramp, the King's New Clothes, Jack in the Box)
60 Seconds in Kingdom Come
Deep in the Heart
the Boomerang with vocals
Alex descends into Hell
Holy Joe
most songs from Passengers
Street Mission
I'm not your Baby

Most of the ones mentioned aren't too good songs but it's interesting to hear their "oldies."

I :heart: "I'm not your baby" but some pl dont' like Sinead so they won't like it.

Also "Holy Joe" is fun. :dance:

I'll see if I can sign onto new media sometime this weekend- sunday- b/c I have all those songs mentioned. :wave:

I haven't heard most of what's been listed, but that's okay ... I don't need to hear the songs they wrote at 15! :wink:

I found "A Celebration" on Kazaa just a week ago. But if you're looking for "Beat on the Brat" on Kazaa, beware -- all the versions I've seen there are NOT the U2 song.

Way back when I had the single for "The Fly" and so I have heard "Alex Descends ..." but I couldn't pick it out of a lineup today.

I'm going to have to check out that Sinead song -- it sounds cool!

I'm Not Your Baby is a good one, yeah
I spent about a year trying to find Womanfish, I had the video before I got mp3 last week :huh:
I'm a psychotic downloader of things labelled as U2 on Kazaa, a lot of times I listen to them and theyr'e either not U2 or are a mislabelled song, heh... Anyway I have all the songs mentioned except the King's New Clothes and Concentration Camp. If anyone really desperately wants one I can try and hook you up, my email is splutti@cs.com.
Anyone heard them do Southern Man? Or who did it originally?
if you do a search for "U2 rare" all sorts of things pop up on Kazaa

Last edited:
I've got three versions of Southern Man from different points over the years. I really love the JT era one. Speaking of songs that aren't U2, I came across this live version of Red Hill Mining Town once and I nearly fell out of my chair since I knew U2 never played it live. I downloaded it and it almost fooled me. It was by this band that I think was called Kane and it was really good. I've also come across a very good WOWY cover too. I seem to have lost them at some point, so has anyone heard of this?

I've heard of Kane.. they're allmost a u2 tribute band, though i think they have their own material too... they're from somewhere in northernish europe i think. Dream Theater has a live cover of Red Hill Mining Town that often gets mislabled as being by U2.

Bildo said:
How about The Kings New Clothes? I like it cause it makes you realize that even U2 sounded like crap once (they were like 15).
Means there may be hope for the rest of us!

Yah boyo! When a band is developing, it goes through certain stages. They're not the same they were when they recorded "The Kings new clothes", for instance. They just wanted to capture that period of the band.....in order to.....ah fuck it, I dunno. :adam:

Kristie said:

oooo thanks Gina

on another sort of related rarity note, I'm almost embarassed to say this song is U2... :huh:
http://web.ics.purdue.edu/~klericks/U2 - Rare - Tonight.mp3

Ah, the song is called "Night Fright". I've come across this before. I am embarassed for them. They have to know that this shit it all over the internet. "Night Fright", "Inside out" and "The King's new clothes" are 3 of the worst compilations in music history.

If it wasn't released on a CD, I probably haven't. I've never been a napster or internet music file person. It would be cool if they'd release a cd of all their unreleased stuff, but only if it's what they want to do. It's their work and I'd want them to approve first, but I'd like to hear them.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom