Any U2 Fans ever quit smoking?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

partygirl33

The Fly
I am on day 12 of no cigarettes..but whenever I hear a song I love my first instinct is to light up...so I haven't actually been listening to U2 too much right now...

Anyone had the same kind of U2 smoking triggers??

Just thought I would ask- I'm about to break!

Day 12,,, Thats great Partygirl33..

I dont have the same urge to smoke when i hear a special song, but anyway then i am not trying to quit right now,, I just tried to quit a few weeks back, but failed.
I do seem to light up everytime i see somebody do it on tv,, Or atleast i think about it,, LOL, stupid i know

I remember reading that Bowie said that cigarettes was the hardest " drug " he ever gave up. And it really is difficult to quit.

Anyway, i hope you succed. ..

Note to the kids.. DONT START SMOKING.. :wink:

Every Friday I "host" Friday School at my school. It is for students who need an extra incentive to behave...okay it is just punishment for being idiots on campus. Anyway it is sponsored by the anti-smoking league and the kids have to watch a video about smoking. Since I do this so often I have it almost memorized, here are some tips:

If you know something triggers the urge to smoke avoid those triggers (If it is U2 songs that's a tough one but if you keep yourself busy for approx. 3 minutes usually the urge will pass) also try to associate something new with the trigger.

Another one I really like is that they suggest to eat fire ball candies, the really hot cinnamon jawbreakers. The reasoning is that cinnamon tastes terrible with tobacco and the taking the fireball in and out of your mouth keeps your hands busy.

Good luck.

Faith

I quit again over a year ago. My dangerous place was always the car when I would be driving listening to 9 times out of 10 U2. I use to have a rock that I'd play with while I drove to keep my hands occupied. You will get over that urge. Keep up the good work.

RA-D said:
"Giving up somking's easy, I've done it hundreds of times" - Mark Twain

I might steal this an use it in my signature!! haha.

I have quit many times before..but I prepared this time and I really want this to be the year I finally become a non-smoker. I just had NO IDEA that U2 was going to be a trigger for me...Certain songs i'm just skipping over for right now! :(

faithingrace said:

If you know something triggers the urge to smoke avoid those triggers (If it is U2 songs that's a tough one but if you keep yourself busy for approx. 3 minutes usually the urge will pass) also try to associate something new with the trigger.

Another one I really like is that they suggest to eat fire ball candies, the really hot cinnamon jawbreakers. The reasoning is that cinnamon tastes terrible with tobacco and the taking the fireball in and out of your mouth keeps your hands busy.

Good luck.

Faith

Interesting... I should try it,,, Thanks

partygirl33 said:
I am on day 12 of no cigarettes..but whenever I hear a song I love my first instinct is to light up...so I haven't actually been listening to U2 too much right now...

Anyone had the same kind of U2 smoking triggers??

Just thought I would ask- I'm about to break!

About 15 years ago I quit after about 12 years of smoking.

To this day I still have a relatively weak pulmonary sytem, I get bronchitis easy and I carry an inhaler everywhere even though I don't use it that often.

I shudder to think what I'd be like if I'd kept on smoking.

My trigger was coffee more than anything.

Re: Re: Any U2 Fans ever quit smoking?

cardosino said:

About 15 years ago I quit after about 12 years of smoking.

My trigger was coffee more than anything.

Wow cardosino!! Congrats on that! What was your first month like?

I've been smoking for 10 years..and at this moment everything feels like a trigger! But particularly coffee, alcohol, and U2.

Re: Re: Re: Any U2 Fans ever quit smoking?

partygirl33 said:

Wow cardosino!! Congrats on that! What was your first month like?

I've been smoking for 10 years..and at this moment everything feels like a trigger! But particularly coffee, alcohol, and U2.

It wasn't easy by any means, but it wasn't the toughest thing I've done in my life either.

One key I found was to join a gym, that way the legendary weight gain which happens to all quitting smokers wouldn't kick in as much.

Yes I'm exercising a lot more...

What was I thinking trying to quit during the week of ticket sales!? If I survive this...I can definitely quit for good! :wink:

Back
Top Bottom