Anton Corbijn: new U2 Album: May 2004

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Larrry

The Fly
I just read this in a german depechemode-forum:

" I met Anton at his exhibition in Munich on the 20.11.03, he was very friendly and when i asked him what he was working on at the moment he replied that he his working on the artwork for the new U2 Album which will propably be released in May 2004."

Still hope the album will come out earlier - but after not hearing any comfirmed facts from the band until now it could be that they are not planing a March-Release but a late April/early May one with the tour starting in September???

Remember they finished Pop in the end of November 1996 and it was released on March 3rd 1997. So they should be finished anytime soon or we really have to wait longer than we want to. But hey - aren`t we used to that.

Have a nice weekend and pray with me for a March-Release!

cheers Larrry

I wanted a march release.:grumpy:

but if I must wait, wait I will.:|

JOFO said:
I wanted a march release.:grumpy:

but if I must wait, wait I will.:|

Exactly. There's nothing we can do about it either way so there's no real reason to moan about it. The boys'll release it when they're good and ready. We certainly don't want the album not completed to 100% satisfaction!

I dont know how much I believe it. A quote from some guy at another bands forum, hey it may be right, but I think itll still be out in March.

NEW ALBUM : SPRING 2004
is everyone satisfied with this one ?

it'll come when it's ready. fine.
although I would like the guys to drop the "Van Halen syndrome" and actually come out and say something about it. throw us a friggin' bone, here !

MacPhisto066 said:
throw us a friggin' bone, here !

DEAR SANTA,

ALL I WANT FOR XMAS IS SOME U2 ALBUM NEWS AND A NEW SHOWES FOR LARRY SINCE THE ONES HE WEARS MAKE ME LAUGH. THANK YOU. EVE CAROLINE

Yep. Edge himself named Black Rebel Motorcycle Club, The Hives or The Strokes as "influences" in this album, so maybe when they release this type of album all the "rock n roll is back" hype doesn't exist anymore... and they lose the "momentum"...

BTW, I think if it really is "a monster" and "a dragon", it won't matter if rock'n'roll is the "next big thing" or not...

I honestly don't care if the new album is trendy or part of a movement... usually U2 is best when they go of on their own and make something somewhat outside of current trends (alah Joshua Tree, Achtung Baby, ATYCLB, etc..)... but with that said...

U2 wants to gain some more fans and be relevant...

IMO so much music out there can undercut what could be an interesting album and make it critically attacked or dismissed by the mainstream...

POP is an example of that. Pop seemed like U2 were "cashing in" on the techno trend (as made out by the mainstream press). Same point could be made with the "raw rock trend."

I listen to the new Strokes and say, hey this album could be something U2 makes in terms of guitar playing... same with Black Rebel Motorcyle Club's new album in terms of vocals...

Working on songs for this long (amost 4 years) means the band might be undercut IMO.

As a fan I will buy almost anything. However to the casual listener... not good...

Reggie Thee Dog said:
Hey, with all the sightings of Bono and the "rest" of U2 in New York, my best guess is the album has finished recording....or they're taking another break. Best guess is...they're done!!

Hey Reggie, don't count out the fact that they're just taking another break. I can't wait until we can start hearing about what went on during the recording of this album. My guess is that Bono always being gone caused a lot of conflict, and that maybe Chris Thomas didn't work out as well as they thought. Maybe the band almost broke up, until out popped this song called "All because of you", and made them realize they can still make music together. I can't wait to hear what's been going on. Stupid waiting.

First off there are some myths on this board. One of them is about the length of time it is taking to record this album.

The band went into the studio in Dec '01 right after the tour ended. Even then they were still working on what ended up being Electrical Storm and Hands That Built America.

After the Best Of 90-00 was out of the way, they really started work on the album early last year. They didn't bring in Chris Thomas until April '03. So they weren't even operating with a producer until 7 months ago.

As of right now, I'd say they've been working on the album for about a year and a half, minus breaks and Bono's DATA work.

Which is about par for the course, really.

They started early recording ATYCLB in late 98. But didn't really kick it into gear until spring 99. 2 years from the initial work, about a year and half of considerable studio time the album is released.

This is about the exact same time frame. The difference is that people are anticipating this album probably more than ATYCLB. That and Bono has been running his mouth even as early as Dec '01.

Go over to atu2.com and search the album news archive, it really is a similar timeline. If the album comes out in April, it would be 3 years and 6 months between albums. Between ATYCLB and POP it was 3 years and 7 months. Between POP and Zooropa it was about 3 years and 9 months.

So actually it would be the shortest wait over the last 3 albums.

Nothing has changed but the anticipation seems greater.

New Musical Express, November 19, 1998

U2 have began work on their new album in Dublin with
Brian Eno and Daniel Lanois producing. Speaking at
Queen's University as part of the Belfast Festival,
Eno said: "It's too early to say what new ideas are
coming up, but the only thing that is appearing as a
theme, as an idea, is an attempt to do the most
difficult thing in music, which is to create joy.
That is extremely hard."

U2 Are Back in the Studio Again

WENN, December 20, 2001

Irish supergroup U2 are back in the recording studio
again -- just a couple of weeks after finishing their
mammoth world tour.The "With or Without You" band
are already recording in a rundown nightclub in the
south of France, not far from singer Bono's holiday
home. Bono says, "We've started our album and it's
going to blow your mind. It's real punk rock, with
some great guitar sounds and some beautiful melodies.
The band is so tight coming straight off tour."

It's going to end up being about the same time frame on both albums. I couldnt find any articles for 95, when U2 started working on the follow up to Zooropa, but it was about the same.

judging by that logic, the album should be out next week.:wink:

UGH!!! Release the darn album in March.I'm having a serious new album withdrawal syndrome...:help: I'm going to go completely nuts right now:crazy:,and what makes them worse is when rumors start rolling in.

StlElevation said:
I dont know how much I believe it. A quote from some guy at another bands forum, hey it may be right, but I think itll still be out in March.

hey are you questioning the notability of a depeche mode fan? i happen to be one and i would never lie to you. he he he!!!

but that is way longer than i want to wait thats for sure. ive already been waiting for 3 freakin years here people.

someone tell them to get off thier arses. there is no such thing as rest when you are the greatest band to ever grace the face of God's green earth. "rest"? what is this word "rest"? i know not the meaning of this word. he he he!!!

I dunno know anymore Acrobat...I thought I could follow all the other U2 album trends, but the longer we go without any word, the more I doubt my prediction. I'm still in for the March release, however if Anton is saying May, he probably knows as well as anyone....:sad:

Back
Top Bottom