Anton Corbijn is directing the video for Electrical Strom

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ishkash

War Child
Evening Herald, August 23, 2002

Dave Kenny

Late august and the south of France is heaving with holidaymakers, kicking back and enjoying the sweltering heat.

All over Le Midi suntan oil being applied, ice buckets are being filled and the great Gallic summer holiday has banished all thoughts of work to mid-September.

Except one small corner of the Cote d'Azur -- Eze sur Mer -- where the hardest working rock band in the world (and a mermaid) are slaving over a hot camera, putting together the video for their next single, "Electrical Storm."

The shoot directed by veteran photographer and filmmaker Anton Corbijn -- is heavy on the pyrotechnics, not least those exhibited by heart-throb Larry as he gets to grips with a gorgeous mermaid, played by Hollywood actress Samantha Morton.

Filming on the seafront at Eze sur Mer dragged on from 6 a.m. on Wednesday to 3 a.m. yesterday [Thursday] and Dublin's Evening Herald photographer Kyran O'Brien was on hand to snap these exclusive pictures of the lads at work.

It proves that life as a rock star is not all lolling about on sun loungers by the pool. However, the U2 crew and their partners still know how to relax and after shooting finished and the rushes had been perused, they put on their glad rags and jetted off to Caroline Corr's wedding in Majorca, where they are currently...Staring at The Sun.
----------------
http://www.atu2.com/news/article.src?ID=2474

cool.i like Anton Corbijn's work, me hopes the video is adventourous like One.Joseph Kahn sucks, nice that boys have dropped him.

Please submit news articles to me.

This is a great news item, however I cannot post it if the only known URL is to another fan site.
Can someone submit the direct URL to the print source to me?

Thanks.

hello HelloAngel,

Well I have looked all over the web and unfortunatley this is not a web publication.

Take a hard look at this pic guys, that guitar can't play pop music
elecstorm5.jpg

anton rules big time

for one, he singlehandedly has made depeche mode (one of the many bands which are associated with : him echo and the bunnymen are another) one of the coolest bands in the past 2 decades, especially the fact depeche mode sprung from that synthesizer pop music genre many dub as 'the genre for gay people'

its odd that anton has only directed 1 or 2 videos for U2, even though he is their official photographer

WOOOOOOOOOOHHHHHHHHHHHOOOOOOOOO!

This is great news! The band seriously needed to have Anton do another video for them. One is GENIUS and Please was a great video as well. I can't wait for this one.

And if anyone can explain U2's deal with Joseph Kahn, I would appreciate. I have a feeling Joseph sold his soul to the devil for that gig. The European Stuck video was so much better than that football thing. The football video was neat but definitely NOT their greatest.

I like the news, Anton Corbijn is really competent. They have always worked really well together. I think we?ll have a 1st class video this time around.
:up:

I think Anton Corbijn should stick with photography. He has made some "dodgy" videos in the past with other bands (Depeche Mode anyone?) and sometimes his images are just plain ridiculous. Excellent photos, though.

- z -

it's all about light........
ty ishkash, warming news.I love Anton's work
The imagery of this song just gets better imho.

I hope all is going well for you in the garden state:)

pardon my ignorance as i never find out who directs which vids
but-
which "One" vid and others is Anton C credited for?

DB9:scratch:

:happy:

*returns briefly from no-internet exile*

AAAAANTON!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! This is such great news! I love Anton! I can't wait to hear this song. Isn't it about time for it to show up on the internet?? I can't believe they've managed to keep it from leaking out for this long.

He also did the Please video and the version of Pride that never really aired (I think).:shrug:

staring at the sun

Not too sure but I think Anton also did Staring at the Sun, studio version or was it Kevin Godley.The other one was done Morleigh, I think it was Anton Corbijn??

Well some of the comments posted here off late have made Henry Rollins a wuss!

I think Anton Corbijn has done 4 U2 videos, but his web site credits for only 2 (One and Please).

well anton is someone who perceives the feel of a song to be different to everyone else

as he states in the Depeche Mode video, he tries to get the feel of the song rather than the lyrics

and thats how a video like Personal Jesus looked so unrelated to the lyrics, a westerner? hmm :eyebrow:

that and anton loves the grainy effect for his videos

Actually I'm glad to see they're using Anton.....frankly Elevation and Stuck were a little to common for me.
I'd like to see something a little more true to what I think U2 is all about,maybe Anton can do something really interesting with Electrical Storm.....:dance: :dance:

Anton

Anton directed the video for Staring At The Sun- the beautiful one with all the lights! (Morleigh did indeed do the other one on the streets of Miami.)

I found this article about Anton from- a while ago. Has some good stuff in it.

Bono: "When we met him in 1982, we didn't really understand the paraphernalia of rock'n'roll at all. I think he reacted to some sort of morality play going on in the group. We were going through a stage of wondering whether we even wanted to be in a group and I think he liked that confusion. I hate the word 'image', but he gave us a kind of visual strength we didn't have at that point". Later that year U2 invited him to Sweden to do "the snow shot" on the inside sleeve of the war album.

In the Winter of '86 the band advanced him
some money to research cover shot locations
for an album to be titled either Desert
Songs or The Two Americas.
"Three days" Anton recalls," Drove to
California, filmed all these deserts, flew
to LA and showed it them. OK, made a plan. Flew to Nevada and all drove down in a big bus. After the first day's photographing, I said to Bono: 'Listen, I've seen these trees called Joshua trees - I've seen them with Beefheart - and they'd look great on the cover of your album'. Next morning he came down with the Bible and said: 'You're gonna have to photograph this tree! The album's got to be called The Joshua Tree! It's a great idea, Joshua Tree!' So we did it. I tried to take different pictures from their public image but, in the end, those pictures became their "public image".

"They became the icons of the group", Bono agrees, "We had to be careful 'cos we'd go out on those photo sessions with Anton and he's very funny and we're very Irish and we'd be, you know,
burning down the motel, and in the midst of all this madness there'd be a photograph taken and it would like we were on hunger strike! It's like 'say cheese' in reverse. With Anton it's like 'don't say cheese'. Plus it was freezing and we had to take our coats off so it would at least look like a desert. That's one of the reason we look so grim. But in the late '80s we looked like
the group that was too dumb to enjoy being at Number 1 all over the world. So we shifted the focus for Achung Baby".

"We went out to the carnival in Santa Cruz", Anton
recalls, "But next morning there's this big meeting. Why are we here? What's the idea? We look stupid standing among all these people. I said: 'Why don't we go along with it? Get masks. Dress up as women. I asked a friend in England to get all the stuff together and she flew out the next morning with the dresses, masks and wigs. We had this great fun!".

Anton Corbijn: "I don't like being known as 'the U2 photographer' because I work with a lot of other people continuously. U2 are very good, but very demanding. Especially Bono because he always
wants to create new things but also not to let old things go. Adam is very interesting in the results, Larry is easily bored but easy to take, Edge always looks the same, that's why we've got him jumping on a single sleeve, Bono is quite hard to photograph because he has so many different faces but therefore is my favourite."

browneyedgirl said:
Actually I'm glad to see they're using Anton.....frankly Elevation and Stuck were a little to common for me.
I'd like to see something a little more true to what I think U2 is all about,maybe Anton can do something really interesting with Electrical Storm.....:dance: :dance:

:yes:

Plus he directed one of my all time faves...Please. I simply love that video. :up:

And oliveu2cm, that?s new to me, I mean, that Anton Corbijn directed the studio version of Staring at the Sun. Because according to the site U2 Videography that one is credited to Jake Scott. You know, that?s the sort of information that could be stored at U2.com, don?t you think?

follower said:

And oliveu2cm, that?s new to me, I mean, that Anton Corbijn directed the studio version of Staring at the Sun. Because according to the site U2 Videography that one is credited to Jake Scott. You know, that?s the sort of information that could be stored at U2.com, don?t you think?

I'll check the video again tonight (as long as I remember, and i'll try) but i'm 90% sure I remember seeing Anton's name on the screen for that one and Morleigh's for the other one. I'll double check.

And yes, there are a lot of things that could improve U2.com to make it the COMPLETE fan site for U2 fans... but guess that's not my business. :angel:

(but MAN if I had a hand in it with their resources.. :drool: nothing would compare!!)

Is anyone else intrigued about the Larry/mermaid love scene? I'm having a hard time picturing the Hit Man getting all romantic or erotic just for a music video!

Larry: :rant: "I don't WANT to do a love scene with a bloody mermaid!"

Other three guys: :sad: "Come on Larry, take one for the team!"

Larry: :yell: :tsk: "Oh, alright..."

Back
Top Bottom