Another reason to get an iPod...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ADecentMelody

War Child
From the article re: the Apple/U2 announcement...

"Down the road, Bono and Jobs both envision new opportunities to sell songs and build fan communities, like offering concert recordings at the iTunes store. 'We're getting ready to do it,' says Jobs. 'Wouldn't it be great if the morning after the concert, you can buy it on iTunes, and anyone in the world can listen to it the next day?'"

It's only a matter of time, baby! :eyebrow:

ADecentMelody said:
"Down the road, Bono and Jobs both envision new opportunities to sell songs and build fan communities, like offering concert recordings at the iTunes store. 'We're getting ready to do it,' says Jobs. 'Wouldn't it be great if the morning after the concert, you can buy it on iTunes, and anyone in the world can listen to it the next day?'"

"Down the road" ---- means no timetable.

"both envision" ---- yes, that's just it a vision. Just like Bono's envisioning ATYCLB as four musicians in a room (not!) or his declaration of POP a year before it was released as a wild rock'n'roll album that would be U2's answer to grunge rehash.

"opportunities to sell songs and build fan communities" ---- just as I have said many times, U2 are perhaps the most opportunistic band in rock history and they are shrewd businessmen. But will they take advantage of this opportunity? Perhaps not, when you take into account their track record of broken promises.

"We're getting ready to do it" ---- obviously, the "we" referred to by Jobs consist of the Apple people. U2 isn't part of the we. And "getting ready" doesn't mean they will actually do it. Since Zoo TV, U2 have recorded all their shows so that it will be "ready" for release anytime in the future. Nothing has ever been released save for one vid from each tour. A horrible batting average considering how many concerts there are in one tour.

"wouldn't it be great if the morning after the concert, you can buy it on iTunes, and anyone in the world can listen to it the next day?" --- Yes Steve, it would be great. But will U2 actually do it? As far as I can tell, they still have a long backlog in their to-do list. They promised an online version of Propaganda after they axed their popular fan mag, and they still haven't come up with that yet. When their site was launched, the promised to release some Elevation shows online through their site. When the Elevation DVD was released, it included a preview of the upcoming Zoo TV Sydney and Popmart Mexico vids - none of which have been released to date. So I highly doubt U2 will deliver on their implication that concerts from the upcoming tour will definitely be released on iTunes. As a matter of fact, they still have a long backlong of previous unfulfilled promises to fulfill.

The article is quite misleading as it can lead fans to thinking that releasing their upcoming tour on iTunes is a done deal when it's really not. But that is nothing but advertising and marketing to sell more iPods. Slight exagerrations in the conduct of business is a universally accepted practice that is neither immoral nor unethical. So U2 actually come clean. They are clever marketers and businessmen.

Cheers,

J

J, do you purposely appear pessimistic so that you don't get disappointed when things don't happen? It's a valid strategy. But you're right, any of this coming to fruition is still way down the road (if at all), but I think this is the future of releasing live shows, be it U2 or other bands.

For business reasons, Apple would like nothing more than for this to happen sooner. U2, however, will have to weigh the pros and cons. There's the work to get them mixed and ready for release (mentioned numerous times). There is also validity to the notion that releasing too many live shows, etc could dilute the "quality" of their music. When I say quality, I mean the overall effect the song has on the listener (if that makes sense). Sometimes, going back and listening to studio versions brings back that solidity of the song. Sometimes, of course, the live version is superior, e.g., Bad.

Either way, at least it's being thought of. I don't think promises are being made here by U2. These releases are simply in the drawing boards and I'm fine with that.

I don't think the article is misleading at all Jick...it's not implying that this tour will be on iTunes unless you're reading something I'm not....

Take your own advice, CHEER UP. Don't be such a poopy-head. :wink:

starsgoblue said:

Take your own advice, CHEER UP. Don't be such a poopy-head. :wink:

Much nicer word than I would use. :wink: I think we need Edge to put him in his place again.

bsp77 said:

Much nicer word than I would use. :wink: I think we need Edge to put him in his place again.

A fake Edge to call fans a terrorist? I don't think we need that here.

Cheers,

J

jick said:

A fake Edge to call fans a terrorist? I don't think we need that here.

Cheers,

J

I agree he shouldn't have called you that. I just want you to sound happy about something. :)

an iPod is not neccessary to make use of iTunes.

iTunes is not neccessary to make use of an iPod.

ADecentMelody said:
From the article re: the Apple/U2 announcement...

"....'Wouldn't it be great if the morning after the concert, you can buy it on iTunes, and anyone in the world can listen to it the next day?'"

Great idea, Apple is soo cutting edge.
No one has ever thought of this before, you mean that could be done- concerts the day after the show?

Not to be too sarcastic here, but this has and is being done for a while now, and Jobs talks like they are going to make it happen.

That said I hope they do have it, and they offer every U2 show of the tour.

I was reading the new newsweek that was just released/ delivered today and theres an entire page article devoted to the apple/ u2 ipod conference last week. The article makes mention of the future intent of the u2/ apple partnership to make a concert available 'the next morning following the show'. I don't know if this adds any credibility, but major US news magazines are repeating this, so I think there has to be some truth to this in the future.

Back
Top Bottom