Another HTDAAB track that didn;t make it

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Shaizari

Acrobat
Michael W SMith, Christian Music's version of his Bono-highness flew to Ireland and jammed with them for a track that didn't make the cut for the album. Here's another unreleased track to find, but I doubt we'll find it anyway.

My guess is that MWS played an instrumental for Smile. His name is listed in the "to thanks" under the DATA category.

no it was Nothern Star - I read an article that talked about him playing some B3 (organ) on it

I'm not sure who this is exactly, but here's His review from Filter Magazine:

Trent Digs His Nails Into U2
by David Iskra | 12.16.2004

Talk about momentum. Once the U2 machine revs up, it just goes faster and faster. The U2 ipod, the digital box set, a number one single, a number one album then a three song set on SNL, a video shoot and a free concert in NYC. You think Bono would want to go home and relax. Instead the four Irish lads are at home in Dublin filming a video for "Sometimes You Can't make it on Your Own".

U2 will release two singles at once. The states will get "All Because of You" and Europe and the rest of the world (pretty much anyone we've pissed off in the last 4 years) will get Sometimes. I guess we aren't cultured enough to appreciate a slow song so we get the garage band version of U2. Videos for both songs were directed by Phil Joanou (Rattle and Hum, One). "All Because of You" was filmed on a flat bed truck driving through Manhattan (think Bjork's "Big Time's Sensuality") and the vid for Sometimes is being filmed right now at the Gaiety Theatre in Dublin. The song was written for Bono's recently deceased father who used to perform with an opera group in the same theatre. The singles will be released in early February.

Some of the b-sides on the various formats include a Jacknife Lee remix of "Ave Maria" sung by Bono and Pavarotti... yeah I know. There will also be a remix of Fast cars which was a bonus track in Europe on How to Dismantle... the most interesting track however is a Trent Reznor remix of "Vertigo." There have been rumors that Trent took some time off from recording his next album "With Teeth" to do four remixes for U2. Bono, Pav and Trent all on one cd.

How could you not?

well... to be honest, michael w smith is probably the most bland 'artist' around these days and the past couple of years. His singing is weak, the production on his records is horrible to my taste (yes, I heard some of his songs come by) and one look at his songtitles confirm that most of his songwriting is hardly original, inspiring or daring... I just hope we'll never see the day that U2 and mws are releasing something together...if it happens - wow- i would seriously question the longevity of the band...

drastic, eh? but that's my feeling about this :wave:

klappie said:
well... to be honest, michael w smith is probably the most bland 'artist' around these days and the past couple of years. His singing is weak, the production on his records is horrible to my taste (yes, I heard some of his songs come by) and one look at his songtitles confirm that most of his songwriting is hardly original, inspiring or daring...

But he does have an amazing five-o-clock shadow.......

here is an excerpt with the U2 stuff in it

But that meeting wasn’t the only significant one of that trip overseas. A side jaunt to Ireland produced an impromptu invitation from U2’s Bono to drop by for dinner “with the boys.” The dinner extended into an excursion over to the “secret” studio where the band was recording with famed producer Steve Lillywhite, who helmed U2’s first three albums and had co-production credits on Achtung Baby and All That You Can’t Leave Behind. Michael found himself in yet another surreal musical heaven and was one of the first people privy to the title of the long-awaited new U2 album, set to release Nov. 23. Sitting in the Dublin studio with the larger-than-life rock stars, Bono played some snippets of music and then turned to his American friend and said he thought the title of the new album might be How to Dismantle an Atomic Bomb. “Do you know how we do that?” the Irishman asked knowingly. “No,” Michael offered. “Love, love, love,” Michael mimics Bono’s poetic answer, with his own attempt at an Irish brogue.

That exchange became the inspiration for Michael’s song “I Am Loved” (together with a viewing of The Passion of the Christ) on his new album, which Smitty penned with his Rocketown label-find artist and songwriter Taylor Sorenson. The two wrote the song in 15 minutes. (“My favorite songs are always the ones that happen that fast,” Smith says.)

But back in the Dublin studio, the surprises kept on coming as Michael was invited to sit in on a tracking session with U2 and lend his considerable talents on the B3 organ. While he’s not sure his part will actually make it onto the final album, at this point he doesn’t really care. Needless to say, it would be pretty hard to beat that kind of a memory. The song he jammed on, fittingly, honors another Nashvillian—Johnny Cash. Entitled “North Star,” the song celebrates The Man in Black’s unwavering, immovable faith. (“Just like the North Star,” Michael beams.)

Johnny Cash is just one in a slew of Michael’s legendary acquaintances and friends—presidents, governors, rock stars, movie stars—during his 20 years of music-making. But when asked who he’d still most love to meet face-to-face, Michael very decidedly says, “Nelson Mandela.” To be sure, it is likely his friendship with the crusading rock star (not to mention the President) that planted that seed—Bono’s ties with Africa and his desire to enlist the world in fighting the many plights that have beset the continent span two decades. But Michael’s no slouch when it comes to his own desire to save the world. Through the work of the Bono-founded DATA, Christian music’s grassroots movement AWAKE and Michael’s role as a Compassion International representative, he has been eager and faithful to lend his hand, voice and influence to help make a difference.

“I want to go to Africa so bad,” he laments. “We have to do something.” For his part, Michael included a plea for Africa on Healing Rain with the song “We Can’t Wait Any Longer” but is quick to point out it’s not even close to enough. “I’m speaking and trying to wake America up, but it’s still not enough for me. I need to go to Africa. I don’t need to just pour my money into it. It’s easy to give money. Just write a check all day and feel good. That’s what a lot of people do. But we’ve got to get our hands dirty.”

Considering the influence of his other friends in high places, one wonders if Mr. Smith really might want to go to Washington himself to make some of those kinds of changes. He has considered his own political aspirations. “I just honestly don’t know if I could do it,” he admits. “There is a part of me that would really want to do it because I think I could probably make a pretty good politician. I just don’t know if I could play that game; and to be in politics, to a certain degree, you’ve got to play the game.” But true to form, Michael’s not ruling anything out. “It would have to be a very loud call from God saying, ‘I want you to run for senator or governor,’” he laughs. “You know I don’t have any experience.” He then adds with a grin, “but neither did Arnold.”

Back
Top Bottom