Another dumb question....

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.

u2popmofo

Blue Meth Addict
If ATYCLB has sold 9.5 million units, how does this compare to U2's other albums?

Just curious.

Not a dumb question and a tough one to answer. U2 has been around now for over 20 years, and the music business is much larger than it was back in 1981, or 1987, or 1992. The record buying audiance is also much larger as well. Generation Y was not apart of the record buying public in 1992, but now in their late teens, they have had a huge impact on the business.
I said the above to point out the fact that direct comparisons between what U2 sold of an album in 2001 and in 1987 are difficult to make. While one would think 4 million sold in the USA in 1987 would be the same as 4 million sold in the USA in 2001, in terms of popularity its not. The Joshua Tree was the second best selling album in 1987 in the USA with 4 million sold. But if ATYCLB was to sell 4 million in the USA this year, it would probably only be in the top 15. So to achieve a similar level of popularity that Joshua Tree had in 1987 relative to other artist, ATYCLB would have to sell much more than just 4 million in the USA.
Now having explained that I'll attempt to answer your question, sort of. First, I'll give an estimate on total sales based on data I have seen, and then give what that album sold in its first year. U2s Catalog of albums have sold well years after their release dates.

BOY 3,000,000 First year: 100,000
OCTOBER 3,000,000 First year: 100,000
WAR Between 8 and 10 million First year: 2 million
UABRS Between 8 and 10 million First year: 3 million
Unforgettable Fire Between 8 and 10 million First year: 4.5 million
WAIA 3 million First year: ?
Joshua Tree Between 20 million and 30 million First Year: 15 million
Rattle And Hum Between 9 and 15 million First Year: 8 million
Achtung Baby Between 16 and 20 million First Year: 10 million
ZOOROPA 6 to 7 million First Year: 6 to 7 million
POP 5.5 million First Year 5.5 million
Best OF.... over 10 million First Year: ?
ATYCLB 9.5 million to date.

There is not a worldwide audit of total sales for albums yet so one has to rely on record company info and other sources that sometimes publish this data, which sometimes is outdated. The range I give or based on the lowest figure seen and the highest possible estimate. The first year figures are very accurate though.
U2 is one of the few worldwide acts that can still sell over 10 million copies worldwide. Its easier to have huge sells in a place like the USA, but to have a worldwide total of 10 million is difficult, and despite the growth in the record industry, doing this is not much more common than it was 10 years ago. But in the USA, the record industry has grown huge, so the number of multi-platinum acts in the USA has greatly increased. The USA and Canada combine represent 42% of all albums sold worldwide.

STING,
I just wanted to tell you that your awesome for continually coming up with all the vital stats, same goes to Doctorwho.

Originally posted by Bonovation:
Well, by my calculations (which may not be right) they have sold over a billion albums throught out there career....WOW!

You have too many zeroes at the end of that number - check your math again. Overall, U2 are zooming in on 100 million albums sold worldwide (not a billion). By some calculations - like STING's, they may have already passed it.

I disagree with STING in a few areas. I think his total sales numbers are high. However, as STING indirectly alluded to, no source has stated U2's total worldwide sales. As such, we have to work with the info. we have.

I also disagree with STING about sales between "then and now." If we were comparing the late 60's/early 70's to now, then I would fully agree. Back then, an artist was thrilled to see their album go Gold in the U.S. (500,000 copies sold) as that was a big accomplishment. If it wasn't a big accomplishment, why would there be a Gold album award?

However, slowly the music business picked up and the standards shifted. Now, a "true" hit album in the U.S. is at least Double Platinum, if not MUCH more. Hence why I am anxious to see ATYCLB reach that 3x Platinum certification this year - that makes it a truly successful release.

In the 80's sales were a bit different. True, while the top selling albums of the year may have sold 4-5 million copies in the U.S., catalog sales were tremendous as people started replacing their albums with CDs. This replacement drove up catalog sales for many years and only recently died down (as pretty much this replacement has ended). The advent of CDs was huge for the recording industry.

At present, while the top selling albums of the year may reach the 10 million mark in the U.S., it's usually only one or two albums - and by some manufactured "hot" artist that may flop on their very next release. Typically, the Top 15 albums in any year, barring those one or two standouts, still go 3-4x Platinum. Therefore, overall, the comparisions between 1987, 1992 and 2001 still stand - at least here in the U.S. However, worldwide sales may be different. It does appear that worldwide sales are significantly stronger today than they were years ago.

[This message has been edited by doctorwho (edited 08-11-2001).]

I actually think worldwide sales are the same as they were 10 years ago. There has been a jump in the USA market though. I'm going to compile with RIAA info a list of the 20 albums from 1987 and the top 20 in the year 2000. So far I have found that there were 20 albums in the year 2000 that sold 3 million copies or more but in 1987, there were only 6 albums that hit 3 million or more. It would be easier to just see how many albums got to GOLD or Platinum status in the given year, but there are a lot of CATALOG albums that just happened to hit GOLD or Platinum in a given year and that would mess up the Statistics, or you'd have to make sure you went through and didn't include anything that was Catalog status.
I think taking a look at the top 20 albums from each year, and comparing the sales, would be enough to make some conclusions. As recently as 1981, going Gold was considered to be a success. WAR was one of the top 100 albums of 1983, but it didn't even come close to going platinum.
On the other hand, in Europe, ATYCLB was one of the top 5 albums in Europe in 2000 by selling 3 million copies in November and December of that year. Europe's market is the same size as the USA. One reason may be, is that it is tougher to have huge sales in Europe because you have to break open each country, where as in the USA, its easier because of just one market. Of course with the EU and economic and political intergration, things are easier than it was years ago. The number of albums that are sold there is the same as the USA, but there are not as many multi-platinum acts.

I look forward to your numbers STING.

P.S. This is my 1000th post on this list. Yay!
biggrin.gif
I'm no longer a "War Child." LOL!

[This message has been edited by doctorwho (edited 08-12-2001).]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom