Another album soon?? Songs of Ascent

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
It doens't matter if someone else has used the title. You can't copyright a title. They could call the next album Abbey Road if they wanted.
Agreed. How many bands have songs called "All I Want Is You". No one's gonna sue over that.

more posted:

*Bono's eyeliner is from a character he's trying out (sort of like MacPhisto or The Fly on the ZooTV tour).
*New album released in the next year. Album is called Songs of Ascent and the first single will be "Every Breaking Wave." Bono compares this second album in mood to A Love Supreme and Kind of Blue.
*The original backing track they worked up for "Moment of Surrender" is the one you hear on the album.
*Bono hopes that they can one day release band versions of some of the Spider-Man songs as a U2 album, saying "it could be our Tommy."
*A discarded version of the "Breathe" lyrics were about Nelson Mandela.

Wow, really sounds like they are close with this followup. Awesome!:applaud:

All this talk just feels a lot more substantial than the usual "we want to get another album out soon" line we get after each album. I think it's just a matter of whether it comes out this year or next.

This is exciting. It will be interesting to see what the album sounds like, after all of the Bono hyperbole leading up to it.

An album full of songs akin to White As Snow, Cedars, and Unknown Caller is the kind of vibe I'm getting from "meditative". And I would be totally OK, and probably ecstatic, with an album like that.

The discarded Nelson Mandela version lyrics for Breathe are in the book that comes with the NLOTH box set - here are the first few lines:

On the banks of a not well known river
I started a journey to where I am now
A traveller [??]
I was guided by the dams[dreams?] of my creator
towards a rhythm and rhyme
a melody line of a song called freedom
which once heard will never leave your head
and it will be as you want it to be
if you can have what you see
everything is going to be allright

All this talk just feels a lot more substantial than the usual "we want to get another album out soon" line we get after each album. I think it's just a matter of whether it comes out this year or next.

Well yeah since apparently they've already picked the first single :lol:

This is great news. I hope we don't have to start a WHY DID BONO/LARRY/ADAM/EDGE?/ROLLING STONE/NME/NY TIMES/EVERYONE LIE?? thread :sad:

:hyper:

I love the title Songs of Ascent.

They really sound serious about that project.

Bring it on, I say, better sooner than later.

I always thought that Passengers and POP were the natural direction U2 was going in, more subdued material, more hushed and baritone singing from Bono. It was this whole "rock and roll" angle during the 00's that always bothered me, because I never thought of U2 as a normal "rock" band. To me they were always a mood band. Hopefully my dream will come true that they are pursuing a more ambient, intimate sound. WAS, MOS, UC, BEING BORN and COL are my favorite moments off the album, and even Magnificent sounds great, an atmospheric rocker with all the right lighting and shade. I want them to do away with the Vertigos, once and for all.

What would I give a 10 out of 10 to?
The Joshua Tree
Achtung Baby
Disintegration
Kick
Ziggy Stardust
Murder Ballads

I'd have to think after that.

I can easily, happy give NLOTH an 8.5/9 out of 10 * 5 out of 5, but I'm not ready to give it a 10 out of 10. That takes time....
As we're on the subject, if I will lower myself to awarding marks for art pieces I could theoretically not give JT and AB a 10 out of 10 - there are weaknesses on both albums - JT is weaker than AB in my opinion too.

I agree with the previous poster - no album can be given "10 out of 10" or whatever, from any band or musician.

But I think it's better to view albums/music like other art forms - take each one individually on it's own merit.

A painting that is described as a "masterpiece" might suit my taste and another won't and other people will have different views again.

Trying to give art forms marks out of 10 etc. is crass in my view, I just don't see the point?

Can anyone fill me in here?

As we're on the subject, I will lower myself to awarding marks for art I could theoretically not give JT and AB a 10 out of 10 - there are weaknesses on both albums - JT is weaker than AB in my opinion too.

I agree with the previous poster - no album can be given "10 out of 10" or whatever, from any band or musician.

I think it's better to view albums/music like other art forms - take each one individually on it's own merit.

A painting that is described as a masterpiece might suit my taste and another won't and other people will have different views again.

Trying to give art forms marks out of 10 etc. is crass in my view, I just don't see the point? Can anyone fill me in here?

I had a professor once that never gave any grade above an A- on the theory that there's always room for improvement.... I think that that was kinda bullshit. No album is perfect, but I don't require perfection to rate a 10 out of 10. I just require a certain amount of wonderful.

As far as ranking things out of 4 or 5 or 10. It's just a common way of looking at things. You don't have to take part if you don't want. When I wrote my U2 article, I didn't give it a rank at all, I just talked about the album...

This is exciting. It will be interesting to see what the album sounds like, after all of the Bono hyperbole leading up to it.

An album full of songs akin to White As Snow, Cedars, and Unknown Caller is the kind of vibe I'm getting from "meditative". And I would be totally OK, and probably ecstatic, with an album like that.

If this is the case, I'd be absolutely delighted. Great year to be a fan!

Songs of Ascent, eh? Very Eno-ish indeed (anyone know his song "An Ending (Ascent)" that was used in films like Traffic and 28 Days Later? Some of the most beautiful instrumental pieces I've heard). It would be great if the band moved more into a Your Blue Room/Velvet Dress direction; while Cedars of Lebanon is a very good song, it is nowhere near as great as those two classics IMO.

Anyways, I still smell some Bono bullshit in this one, meaning that it is, at least according to history, still more probable that we'll see the successor to No Line in 2013 than early next year. Although fingers crossed for 2010!

My biggest hope is that the new material won't have the notorious, U2000 version of a silly "rock song" with horrible lyrics in the vein of Elevation, Vertigo, Boots or Stand Up Comedy. Breathe and Love&Peace (although less cliched lyrics, please) are the right step ahead, although I'm afraid days of The Fly, Acrobat, Mofo or Dirty Day are long gone. But if the band indeed moves this new project into more meditative direction, I'm expecting some beautiful tracks in the vein of Your Blue Room to come together. Cedars and MOS are the right direction, but they can do even better.

Songs of Ascent, eh? Very Eno-ish indeed (anyone know his song "An Ending (Ascent)" that was used in films like Traffic and 28 Days Later? Some of the most beautiful instrumental pieces I've heard). It would be great if the band moved more into a Your Blue Room/Velvet Dress direction; while Cedars of Lebanon is a very good song, it is nowhere near as great as those two classics IMO.

Anyways, I still smell some Bono bullshit in this one, meaning that it is, at least according to history, still more probable that we'll see the successor to No Line in 2013 than early next year. Although fingers crossed for 2010!

My biggest hope is that the new material won't have the notorious, U2000 version of a silly "rock song" with horrible lyrics in the vein of Elevation, Vertigo, Boots or Stand Up Comedy. Breathe and Love&Peace (although less cliched lyrics, please) are the right step ahead, although I'm afraid days of The Fly, Acrobat, Mofo or Dirty Day are long gone. But if the band indeed moves this new project into more meditative direction, I'm expecting some beautiful tracks in the vein of Your Blue Room to come together. Cedars and MOS are the right direction, but they can do even better.
I'd like to hear some of your tracks.

Got a link to myspace or something so I can have a listen?

Maybe, but they've apparently picked the first single already, and Bono isn't the only one to mention it. And they make it sound like the album is more complete with a theme and all as opposed to "Yeah we'd like to get back in the studio ASAP, we're in a rich songwriting vein blah blah blah"

my prediction/hope is (if they're serious) they'll release it after the first two legs of the tour. That might be too soon but we'll see!

to the people who are calling bullshit on this, i can totally understand where you're coming from. and to be honest, i've been extremely cautious about this whole "2nd album" thing ever since i heard it.

with that said, this feels different. all we've had in the past is Bono saying that they'd like to get another album out as soon as possible. this time, all 4 band members have confirmed that there is a second album. for that, i'm cautiously optimistic.

what my big worry is that i do think that there's a very good chance that the band will get in the studio to finish the 2nd album, and suddenly realize that they have all these new ideas, and decide that they want this album to be more of a companion. then, sorry, we're looking at 2013. and although it sounds promising right now, unfortunately, at this point i still see the latter happening.

It is my hope against hope that A. Winter is not on this album, and B. that they're not actually finished recording it so that it has the opportunity to really stretch its legs, expand further past No Line's sensibilities...but still come out on time!

No, I don't like Winter, and it will already have been featured on a soundtrack and the No Line box set.

Update on next album: Songs of Ascent

From Rolling Stone:

True to form, Bono already has a plan for the first single from the band’s next album. RS uncovered details of that project, described as “a sister release to No Line on the Horizon, a Zooropa to its Achtung Baby,” which could arrive within the year.

Bono already knows the title — Songs of Ascent — and the first single, a surging anthem called “Every Breaking Wave” that was left off No Line at the last minute. Songs of Ascent will be quieter than No Line; in many ways, it’s that ghost album of hymns and Sufi singing. “We’re making a kind of heartbreaker, a meditative, reflective piece of work, but not indulgent,” Bono says. “It will all have a clear mood, like Kind of Blue. Or A Love Supreme would be a point of reference, for the space it occupies in people’s lives, which is to say, with that album, I almost take my shoes off to listen to it.”

U2 Talk “Horizon” Follow Up, Spider-Man Musical in Rolling Stone Cover Story : Rolling Stone : Rock and Roll Daily

I hope it's already in the can. If they go back into the studio to touch it up, we'll be waiting another four years.

like i said earlier, this is my biggest fear too. i really want this to happen, but i also know how U2 gets with each project. meglomania sets in, which is normally a great thing, but i personally would love to hear this companion, more atmospheric album.

yeah I'm hoping it just some stuff from the No Line sessions ala Amnesiac to Radiohead's Kid A and indeed Zooropa to Achtung Baby...and whatever other great things they MIGHT come up with during soundchecks. Hell even half of Zooropa's title track was recorded during a soundcheck. Like someone already said if they go in and make all this new stuff and SLAVE over it we're screwed :wink:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom