Another album soon?? Songs of Ascent

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I'll ask them next week in Chicago. :hyper:
I won the CD today in a call in contest with my local radio station which enters me in a drawing to win all expense paid trip to Chicago to see them in the radio station when they do the radio blitz.. thingy.
Of course I'll never win :sad: It's nice to dream anyway.

I'll believe it when I see it. I say there's no chance, but I hope that I'm wrong.

Yeah - five star reviews from publications that have a vested interest in keeping the biggest rock star/celebrity activist in the world happy enough to continue doing interviews with them. Bono is the guy who famously sent a hand axe to NME for doing a 'hatchet job' on either Achtung or Zooropa (can't remember). Do you think David Fricke or the guys at Q want to deny themselves access to U2 by crapping on a new album? If you're a big artist, like U2, Springsteen, Dylan, etc., you're pretty much guaranteed a good review, because you're good for circulation.

U2 DOESN'T usually get 5 star reviews from these publications. This is above and beyond diplomacy.

U2's follow-up to No Line on the Horizon due this year

Bono confirms next U2 album, a 'companion' to No Line on the Horizon,
scheduled for 2009 release

Sean Michaels

Monday 2 March 2009 10.19 GMT

Even with U2's 12th studio album, No Line On The Horizon, arriving in
British shops today, the Irish band are not wasting any time. Album number
13 will be released later this year, according to Bono, drawn from the same
recording sessions.

The as-yet untitled album will be a "companion" to this week's release, with
a "more meditative and processional tone", according to the New York Times.

U2 have certainly had enough time to make two records. Five years have
passed since their last album, and the interim saw the band work in studios
across the world – including a session in Turkey and an aborted project with
Rick Rubin.

Bono still expects No Line On The Horizon to have "a bumpy ride".

"It's very hard to be relevant," he explained. But although his band is
getting older, they are also getting faster. With its 149 bpm tempo, Get On
Your Boots, U2's new single, is their toe-tappingest ever – and is almost
within range of drum'n'bass.

Though U2 have become more prolific, fans shouldn't expect a major shift in
their business practices. They are locked into a record deal with Universal
for "several more albums," according to manager Paul McGuinness, and the
Edge at least has no interest in self-releasing U2's work.

"My instinct is to stick with the record guys," he told the New York Times.
"They have to sell your records or sell the downloads, whatever it ends up
being. To do that, first of all you've got to love and understand the music,
and right now I'm not seeing any group that rivals the record labels on that
front."

The band's announcement of a second LP marks a substantial evolution from
plans last year to release two EPs.

"About a year ago, we decided we wanted to put it out in November,"

Bono told the NME in a recent interview. "We were going to release two EP
sets, Daylight and Darkness; we had all these ideas, but in the end we just
took the best songs and made the one record."

Or rather, they made two.

WHoaaaaaaaa, my friend from Ireland meet Ali and she told him the name of the new album and the tracklists:

01 - No more albums or tracks with extended names ok?
02 - Mercy (from the darkness to the light)
03 - Summer
04 - Sional & onE (Passengers Vol2)
05 - Hardest Thing
06 - Jitterbug baby
07 - Silence Song
08 - Two
09 - Be There (Really)?
10 - 80

:drool:

man, i really laughed at this post! :lol::lol:

I think IndyShade is correct and on the ball with this one. Does anyone remember the 5 star review for Mick Jagger's last solo album (ahahah) in Rolling Stone. How about the 5 star review for Springsteen's recent album. The list goes on and on for veteran rockers getting perfect reviews for mediocre albums.

I am starting to warm up to No Line on the Horizon but it is not U2's best nor will it go down as a classic. It is not a 5 star album (3 is more like it).

In a time where the internet is starting to affect magazine and internet sales, music magazines like Q and Rolling Stone need the big names to attract readers and push up sales. It also helps that a lot of the print ads for the album have that rolling stone review reference (another free plug for Rolling Stone). I smell conspiracy where both are scratching each other's back...

I think IndyShade is correct and on the ball with this one. Does anyone remember the 5 star review for Mick Jagger's last solo album (ahahah) in Rolling Stone. How about the 5 star review for Springsteen's recent album. The list goes on and on for veteran rockers getting perfect reviews for mediocre albums.

I'm actually very fond of that album. Anyway, they could rate U2 with 4, 4.5. There was no need to give it a perfect score. But they did.
Not saying that RS isn't biased. They are. Just saying.
Not to mention that the review was given by David Fricke, the man himself.

The only flaw to me on the album is White As Snow, but then again my opinion. It just does not fit, because Cedas has a similar sombre tone. I'd give 4.8 stars out of five. Yes, I'm biased but every writer is like that as well.

I am starting to warm up to No Line on the Horizon but it is not U2's best nor will it go down as a classic. It is not a 5 star album (3 is more like it).

In a time where the internet is starting to affect magazine and internet sales, music magazines like Q and Rolling Stone need the big names to attract readers and push up sales. It also helps that a lot of the print ads for the album have that rolling stone review reference (another free plug for Rolling Stone). I smell conspiracy where both are scratching each other's back...

As others have stated, a 4/5 is "expected" if the review is biased. No need to call it another "5 star Masterpiece" or "say it belongs with JT and AB". Clearly these reviewers heard something "magnificent" (that I also hear - sorry you don't).

As a fan, perhaps a 5 may be a generous. But 3 is just as asinine. A 4.5 is where I place it. And that's the best rating I have for ANY of U2's albums (basically a 9/10). No U2 album is a perfect 10 (few albums are). And I've not heard anything from anyone else recently that I'd rate higher. Coldplay and Killers and Kings of Leon and Franz Ferdinand are just U2 wannabes. And Radiohead is, well, Radiohead. They rarely do it for me, and their last album certainly was a far cry from their best.

As others have stated, a 4/5 is "expected" if the review is biased. No need to call it another "5 star Masterpiece" or "say it belongs with JT and AB". Clearly these reviewers heard something "magnificent" (that I also hear - sorry you don't).

As a fan, perhaps a 5 may be a generous. But 3 is just as asinine. A 4.5 is where I place it. And that's the best rating I have for ANY of U2's albums (basically a 9/10). No U2 album is a perfect 10 (few albums are). And I've not heard anything from anyone else recently that I'd rate higher. Coldplay and Killers and Kings of Leon and Franz Ferdinand are just U2 wannabes. And Radiohead is, well, Radiohead. They rarely do it for me, and their last album certainly was a far cry from their best.

What would I give a 10 out of 10 to?
The Joshua Tree
Achtung Baby
Disintegration
Kick
Ziggy Stardust
Murder Ballads

I'd have to think after that.

I can easily, happy give NLOTH an 8.5/9 out of 10 * 5 out of 5, but I'm not ready to give it a 10 out of 10. That takes time....

I think it's just speculation at this point. But I'd love to get another U2 album this year. :heart:

It seems that there's new info on the forthcoming album on the new RS with U2 on the cover. An Interferencer has said it'll have Every Breaking Wave as the first single. Can't wait to reading the article.:love:

"Songs of Ascent" as a possible title... if they're planning 4 singles from NLOTH (Boots, Breathe, Magnificent, and Crazy Tonight probably) that could span most of 2009, probably best to let this one wait until around this time in 2010, although Paul McG will probably want holiday sales to make up for last year.

There is no way...I just can't belive this! Oh well, more U2 :up:

I just don't want them to over do it, but I'm sure they won't.
BTW: "Songs of Ascent" mentioned in an article in the new RS

Haven't seen it posted yet... picked it up @ Books-A-Million 2day...

RSCover.jpg

You like the eyeliners bitches?

Yeah...I didn't think so...

Not a fucking chance is there going to be another album this year, or next year, or the year after that. Or the year after that. The earliest we will get more new U2 (aside from B-sides, obviously) will be 2013, if that.

You are more than welcome to quote me on this.

Not a fucking chance is there going to be another album this year, or next year, or the year after that. Or the year after that. The earliest we will get more new U2 (aside from B-sides, obviously) will be 2013, if that.

What about an EP?

OK I apologise for that...:reject:

Normally I'd be with you, but there's been an awful lot of comments about this, and we know there's plenty of quality material left over, they seem to be finding time for recording this year, I think they want to complete the creative vein they've been in and not let it go stale. Multiple band members have talked about it, and now it has a supposed title, maybe even lead single. Sounds like a lot more information than we had about NLOTH until late last year.

because their current recording contract, which they need to put out another 5 to 6 new records to fulfill it will be totally forgotten so your prophecy will come true.

not a "fucking chance" that they'll get out of that.

sorry dude, but I think you may be way off base here.

Normally I'd be with you, but there's been an awful lot of comments about this, and we know there's plenty of quality material left over, they seem to be finding time for recording this year, I think they want to complete the creative vein they've been in and not let it go stale. Multiple band members have talked about it, and now it has a supposed title, maybe even lead single. Sounds like a lot more information than we had about NLOTH until late last year.

The solid info - and I'd say MOST solid info - was given by Adam Clayton. Without any fanfarre he said the band was keen to record in between gigs. Larry by the way was the first one to assume the band could release an album soon. I'll stick with them until I'm proven wrong.

There is no way Pink Floyd will re-unite at Live 8, either. M I RITE?? :hi5:

I dunno, I can see it happening in 2010 if 2009 doesn't work out, but 2009 is supposed to be their year so we'll see...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom