Another album soon?? Songs of Ascent

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Sorry, but I don't believe it. I bet they read that quote from Bono's interview a little while back where he said they'd release an album by the end of the year with the "it has a theme of pilgrimage" line and decided to make an article out of it.

Plus this is U2.

other than Pitchfork, please show me this poor response. i can't find it anywhere.

Probably talking about the other "handful" of reviews that have given the album a bad reivew, out of the many that gave the album the thumbs up.

Sorry, but I don't believe it. I bet they read that quote from Bono's interview a little while back where he said they'd release an album by the end of the year with the "it has a theme of pilgrimage" line and decided to make an article out of it.

Plus this is U2.

The info on the next album comes from the NY Times article conducted a couple of weeks ago. I think its solid. It seems that several other mags have simply lifted the quote, giving it the appearance of hearsay. I don't think the Times would just put a careless rumour out there. They also used the specific word "processional" which hadn't been thrown around as yet, so it probably came directly out of the mouth the band. It looks like the plan is to release the album late this year.

Adam has already affirmed the are keen to record in between gigs. So definitely something is coming out soon. At least sooner than it took to get Bomb or Horizon.

What poor responses? 5 star reviews from rolling stone and Q?

As well as many fans saying how its the best album since AB?

Probably talking about the other "handful" of reviews that have given the album a bad review, out of the many that gave the album the thumbs up.

Fans may enjoy the album, but I think by "poor response" he was talking more about the relative indifference that Get On Your Boots received by the general public, especially when compared to the last two first singles, Beautiful Day and Vertigo.

Fans may enjoy the album, but I think by "poor response" he was talking more about the relative indifference that Get On Your Boots received by the general public, especially when compared to the last two first singles, Beautiful Day and Vertigo.

:up: fair enough, but even that is starting to climb again in the US itunes chart, back from nowhere upto number 66, and in the top 10 "rock songs"

I can't wait to hear this new material. Definitely looking forward to it. However I bet we wont hear it until spring 10 or fall 10. U2 are always optimistic when talking about their album releases. I hope they prove me wrong, but some how I don't think they will. The only way I see it happening this fall is if the release is more of an Ep type album with 3- 5 tunes. We will see.

If sales are very low for this album (by u2 standards) I can see them putting something out at the end of this year for xmas time.

I really think that Boots didnt hit off in America like they thought it would.

WHoaaaaaaaa, my friend from Ireland meet Ali and she told him the name of the new album and the tracklists:

01 - No more albums or tracks with extended names ok?
02 - Mercy (from the darkness to the light)
03 - Summer
04 - Sional & onE (Passengers Vol2)
05 - Hardest Thing
06 - Jitterbug baby
07 - Silence Song
08 - Two
09 - Be There (Really)?
10 - 80

:drool:

It seems that they are now confirming the rumors that another album will be coming out in '09...

U2 to release another new album in 2009 | News | NME.COM

confirmed rumors :drool:

Don't forget Bono also mentioned this on a radio interview, and Edge didn't interject. So I don't think it's just Bono being Bono. I think they are legit planning this. Obviously plans could change but do they usually talk about another album right after one comes out? Isn't it usually more after the tour? This just seems different than the typical "Oh we want to go back to the studio soon maybe" talk. This sounds much more concrete.

if it doesnt happen we can start a WHY DID BONO/NY TIMES/NME/EVERYONE LIE??? thread :drool:

They've already backtracked on the 2009 thing though with Larry saying 2010 is much more likely and Bono saying that the "next 3 years" we'll be seeing a lot of them.

After the initial comments about releasing a 2nd record quickly, everything I've seen the band say would suggest they're not going to rush release anything else.

Besides, that interview talks of them listening to their label, management etc who will want to milk one album for all its worth before even thinking of doing another.

I'm disappointed, but not surprised. I think it would be amazing if U2 finally, actually embraced the way the industry is going instead of just talking about it and released something over the web when its finished.

It almost seems like Bono/the band is putting this out there to give them extra pressure and motivation to make it happen. Doing stadium shows will free up a lot of time for them in between gigs and Edge can do/does a lot of writing/riff collecting on the road now. Plus they have at least a few finished/near finished songs. It looks like this 2nd album is actually a part of the overall strategy/gameplan this time around, rather than being simply overexcited rambling/wishing from the band. Whether or not it gets pushed back to early 2010 is another issue, but it doesn't take away from the fact that this thing is well into the planning stages.

I think they are referring to the Perfect FIVE STAR reviews from Rolling Stone and Q magazine.

oh wait...

Yeah - five star reviews from publications that have a vested interest in keeping the biggest rock star/celebrity activist in the world happy enough to continue doing interviews with them. Bono is the guy who famously sent a hand axe to NME for doing a 'hatchet job' on either Achtung or Zooropa (can't remember). Do you think David Fricke or the guys at Q want to deny themselves access to U2 by crapping on a new album? If you're a big artist, like U2, Springsteen, Dylan, etc., you're pretty much guaranteed a good review, because you're good for circulation.

Yeah - five star reviews from publications that have a vested interest in keeping the biggest rock star/celebrity activist in the world happy enough to continue doing interviews with them. Bono is the guy who famously sent a hand axe to NME for doing a 'hatchet job' on either Achtung or Zooropa (can't remember). Do you think David Fricke or the guys at Q want to deny themselves access to U2 by crapping on a new album? If you're a big artist, like U2, Springsteen, Dylan, etc., you're pretty much guaranteed a good review, because you're good for circulation.

Your logic is flawed. If the music is crap, then noone will like it, and therefore an interview with them won't sell as many magazines as an interview with Kings of leon or Coldplay.

It isn't in their interests to lose credibility and trump it up more than it deserves.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom