And where are the days, when they looked for something other?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
zooroper said:

Well....true!

Oooops.....looks like Franz Ferdinad pisses all over HTDAAB. :(

Oh Oh Oh....and Morrissey! "Youare The Quarry" ...sorry it's also better than HTDAAB. HTDAAB comes in as 3rd.

Yeah, I agree, FF is very innovative, perhaps they will become the new Smiths? A props---You Are The Quarry(especially "How Could Anybody Possibly Know How I Feel" and "I Have Forgiven Jesus") is in my opinin the best thing I've heard this year...
It's very emotional, very true, you can truly connect to those feelings, alas I didn't get the feeling while listening to HTDAAB...it's a very good record, but it's not gonna go to musical history...

zooroper said:

Well....true!

Oooops.....looks like Franz Ferdinad pisses all over HTDAAB. :(

Oh Oh Oh....and Morrissey! "Youare The Quarry" ...sorry it's also better than HTDAAB. HTDAAB comes in as 3rd.

Cheer up,, Dont be sorry :lol: Its not your fault...

yimou said:
[B
Of course i would love to hear them create something even more exciting,, but lets see [/B]

Well, yes, mayby they just need some time it dream it all over again....those days aren't gone yet, U2 isn't dead, they're just asleep...

True indeed Marr.. Atleast their past records show that they have so much more to offer.. If they wanna pull a 180 again, then we all know they can do it..

Fingers crossed

even HTDAAB shows they could do better....
this album could have better lyrics (Native Son-Vertigo)
better songs(Mercy, Native Son, Levitate)
but something happened in the middle of the process and they changed the sound, made it more avilable to people who like Avril Lavingne or whatever....

Mayby Chis Thomas should be there til the end, then we would have a true monster, instead of pop-rock anthems like Vertigo....

oh and i don't want to hear crap that they are too old to do that....
David Bowie was even older when he made 1.Outside and Earthling....

I like ATYCLB very much. It was a step forward for U2, maybe not the right one, but close enough.:wink:
Now, if they released the Bomb then, I would have probably loved it more than I do now, and more than I do Bomb now. Get it? Because of the change, the big creative step forward.
I think everyone agrees with proclaiming AB ther (best) masterpiece. It was a big sound-change for them, but imagine that after JT they did some album with half of the songs from R&H (the new ones, and very good ones like All I Want Is You, Desire, God pt II, etc) and half from the AB (you choose). That album wouldn't be considered as good as AB is now, although has more or less all great songs.
So, lets compare JT with ATYCLB, and the new R&H/AB-crossed album with the Bomb. The new one wouldn't be so much of a reinvention, even with having some new-sound-breaking songs like Bomb has with LAPOE, ABOY?, Fast Cars), but half a recycling, and the other half with the "new" sounds.
I know everyone would expect AB, but we got the mixed album, HTDAAB. :|

(I hope someone will understand what I just wrote...:huh: )

tomtom said:
I think we've been a bit spoilt in the past by U2's breakneck reinvention speed. On average, since UF, we got something totally new and unexpected every other album. Someone else here made a very good point that even artists that are regarded as great by most people's standards don't change gears that quickly. Springsteen and Dylan for example. Springsteen made 5 albums with essentially the same sound until Nebraska (there was some evolution of course, but no discrete difference between, say, Darkness on the Edge of Town and The River). Same goes for Dylan-it was a few albums before he went electric. And Coldplay- do you think that they will EVER be capable of writing a song like Love and Peace? To expect U2 to change sounds every goddamn album is ridiculous IMO. Even Radiohead hasn't broken anyone's balls since Kid A, and that was 2000. So maybe U2 are still exploring the territory of 'tunes' at the moment, and aren't quite done with it.

Look, we're not expecting anyone (U2, Coldplay) to change their style (U2 will never be bob Dylan, although some R&H songs were, and Coldplay doesn't need to create a new LAPOE - we have U2 for that.); just to add something new and adventurous to their music. Not adding old or current.

Marr said:

Yeah, I agree, FF is very innovative, perhaps they will become the new Smiths? A props---You Are The Quarry(especially "How Could Anybody Possibly Know How I Feel" and "I Have Forgiven Jesus") is in my opinin the best thing I've heard this year...
It's very emotional, very true, you can truly connect to those feelings, alas I didn't get the feeling while listening to HTDAAB...it's a very good record, but it's not gonna go to musical history...

Franz f**king Ferdinand = innovative. :lmao: :lmao: :lmao:

At least U2 have the decency not to rip off other peoples sounds.

Sleep Over Jack said:
I agree, Franz Ferdinand innovative?? they sound like a more concise, commercial Television IMO..

What has the world come to where, SOMEHOW, FF sound innovative. :huh:

Alright. Has anyone even heard the Franz Ferdinand album? It's the most overrated CD of the year, in my opinion. I don't get why there's so much fuss over it.

XHendrix24 said:
Alright. Has anyone even heard the Franz Ferdinand album? It's the most overrated CD of the year, in my opinion. I don't get why there's so much fuss over it.

Fuss?!?

Fantastic songs! For the frist to the last one---i dunno wich one is better! :drool:

Their days of experimenting are over, I think.
But I sincerely hope the next album won't be as "rock'n'rollesque" as this one. I need more songs like Mercy, less songs like All Because Of You.
I like the album very much, I can't really say I love the lyrics and personally, I think if Mercy would have been on the album it would have looked better. They seem a bit less daring, but on the other hand, they've never been any better live.

XHendrix24 said:

Because they're new.

XHendrix24 said:

I have it and think that it's one of the year's best. But innovative? Erm, no.

Honestly, I feel sometimes that I'd like to see the word "innovative" retired from all conversations about music, period.

Franz Ferdinand is great to play air guitar or dance to. Personally I think it's mainly the British accent that has got everyone's attention. Dark of the Matinee is so catchy. I love it.

Green Day named their song correctly at least....they are certainly American Idiots....as for the song its the lamest political song I have ever heard.

THESE AREN'T THE DAYS WHEN WE LOOK FOR SOMETHING OTHER, because we have became a group which sings same shit all the time, and we don't want to look for something else because we're too tired, our age is tracking us down, and WE HAVE NO BALLS, COJONES, MUDA TO DO IT ANYMORE.

Jesuus, Jesus help them, they have lost their balls
A fantastic fucked up balls they were.

I'm a little disgraced by u2, this new album and ATYCLB are commercial, good but for wider mass.

POP RULES, POP ROCKS, POP IS GREAT:rockon:

:drool:

ZOOROPA RULES ZOOROPA ROCKS:rockon:

ACHTUNG FOR PRESIDENT

JOSHUA FOR VICE PRESIDENT

VOTE ACHTUNG BABY/JOSHUA TREE as your candidates

I pity people who can't simply enjoy good songs. Always looking for an angle or agenda to hang onto. U2 spent 10 years in outer space. They pushed their music as far as it would go in that realm. Now they're older, wiser, and better. They're writing song records now. Which is very different than the post-punk/new wave days of Boy-War, or the ethereal/roots rock of UF-RH, or the complete mind fuck AB-Pop. ATYCLB/HTDAAB represent the band playing off their strengths. And the resluts are proof that U2 rank w/ anyone in term of songcraft or breadth of sound. One more of these "song based" records and their career will be complete: 4 trilogies, 4 distinct periods. 1 band.

Lancemc said:
Excellent post Brau.

By the way, I really miss your baby face avatar.

I'm trying fat Carl for now, but I may go back.

This arguement about U2 has been going on for their entire career. After UF people complained "Where's the War sound? After JT people complained "They're to massive and commercial"
After AB/Zoo/Pop people complained "They've gone wacky." Now people are upset with U2 sounding like U2. It's always something.

XHendrix24 said:

I agree mate, very over-rated. There were a few (not many, one of the worst musical years for a long time, especially after the great year that was 2003) albums that could compete with HTDAAB, but I wouldn't say that that was one (actually, just looked through new albums last year, very, very poor average, I already have albums this year I prefer this year (HTDAAB aside)).

MrBrau1 said:
I pity people who can't simply enjoy good songs. Always looking for an angle or agenda to hang onto. U2 spent 10 years in outer space. They pushed their music as far as it would go in that realm. Now they're older, wiser, and better. They're writing song records now. Which is very different than the post-punk/new wave days of Boy-War, or the ethereal/roots rock of UF-RH, or the complete mind fuck AB-Pop. ATYCLB/HTDAAB represent the band playing off their strengths. And the resluts are proof that U2 rank w/ anyone in term of songcraft or breadth of sound. One more of these "song based" records and their career will be complete: 4 trilogies, 4 distinct periods. 1 band.

Thank You! :up:

otherwise I suppose all 8.5 million people, and counting, are wrong.
(sales figure I read somewhere for HTDAAB album sales):shrug:

Back
Top Bottom