and then there's ZooTV: Sydney is PERFECTION

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

truecoloursfly

The Fly
I saw two shows on that tour, and thought them brilliant at the time. Finally watching Sydney again after a few years, and that show is fecking brilliant for ALL time! yes, possibly the best rock show ever mounted, a marriage of album and tour, song and theatre, that was divinely inspired...
Bono was so ON that night, Running to Stand Still just nails me to the wall! And how is it Edge's guitar on that song manages to fill me with both dread and compassion at the same time??
I used to wanna be a flower child, 'cause the Sixties seemed so cool. But truly, I'm so thankful to have grown up alongside this magnificent quartet of artists... Wouldn't trade 'em for the Beatles or Elvis, nor any who come after. They speak for me, and they speak to me. Still.

*stupefied yet again*
Deb

------------------
***Grace makes beauty out of ugly things***

the greatest frontman in the world -- by truecoloursfly: http://www.atu2.com/news/article.src?ID=1575

Oh, why won't they release this on DVD so I can finally buy it and see ZooTV in all its greatness? They're just sitting on a goldmine.

------------------
Change is the only constant

Great show, although I always fast-forward the songs from Zooropa, except "Stay" and "Daddy's Gonna Pay...". I love the album, but the songs aren't that exciting live, IMO. And "Fly" & "Until The End..." are too heavy on the stupid gimmicks like the bits of text flashing on the screen very fast.

Originally posted by Johnny Swallow:
Best except for the sleepy version of WOWY. Wankers.

Twas about to say this meself...how wowy survived the cut and tryin to throw yer arms around the world didnt...
rolleyes.gif

PERFECTION is exactly how I describe it! Bono's hair was perfection that night, as was the way he looked in his clothes! His voice, the comments, the music and the stage show were awesome! MacPhisto RULES!! I loved the setlist except for a few Zooropa songs, and the way he waved to that long haired dude in the desert and yelled 'hey you!' during Streets was so cute! Bono was so beautiful, and there were so many closeups of him and those eyes- gorgeous!! ZOO TV Sydney rules! Best U2 video by far!

------------------
Visit my U2 webpage! <A HREF="http://community.webshots.com/user/u2kitten

"Walk" TARGET=_blank>http://community.webshots.com/user/u2kitten

"Walk</A> On, stay safe tonight"

Originally posted by Saracene:
Great show, although I always fast-forward the songs from Zooropa, except "Stay" and "Daddy's Gonna Pay...". I love the album, but the songs aren't that exciting live, IMO.

LOL, I had the exact opposite reaction to the Zooropa songs! I bought the record after watching the video and was very dissapointed. All of the Zooropa songs had much more passion in the live video IMO, which made the record versions seem a little flat.

It is a great video. I hadn't watched it for a long time, but brought it out last winter to get psyched up for the Elevation tour. It did the trick
biggrin.gif

Fantastic show that should be shown on MTV every night at 7.30..
biggrin.gif

------------------
Smoke me a kipper
Ill be back for breakfast

Hell, no, the Zooropa songs are awesome! So much new music that night -- a whole whack of 'em from AB to lead off the show (I know they were proud that the audience was into it), and then new, unreleased songs... Dirty Day is WAY more intense than on the album, even though the arrangement isn't so different; the audience even sings along, don't they? for Stay... the band was excited to be playing, and it shows. Bono is glowing. Although you're right, MacPhisto had no business singing WOWY. But I'll forgive him, 'cause he's so...deliciously...MacPhisto.

------------------
***Grace makes beauty out of ugly things***

the greatest frontman in the world -- by truecoloursfly: http://www.atu2.com/news/article.src?ID=1575

Originally posted by brettig:
Twas about to say this meself...how wowy survived the cut and tryin to throw yer arms around the world didnt...
rolleyes.gif

really?
everytime I see Bono as MacPhisto singing that song I get goosebumps
highlight together with Lemon and Running to stand Still IMO

------------------
Salome
Shake it, shake it, shake it

For the love of God, someone convert that concert to DVD!

If anyone here has the opportunity to talk to any band member, tell them we want our Zoo TV...on DVD!

AJ

Yes, this was the best video ever, the best concert ever; end of story.

I personally think the Zooropa songs are the highlights of the show, with the exception of Numb, which isn't too exciting to me. Dirty Day is just rockin', Stay is great, and Daddy's Gonna Pay and Lemon are so much better than the album versions!

And I think MacPhisto doing WOWY is awesome...it is such a nice twist to that song after all of the other versions which are more or less the same. I love how Lemon segues into WOWY, and the desperation in that version by MacPhisto is unmatched by nearly any other moment during that show.

Originally posted by truecoloursfly:
Dirty Day is WAY more intense than on the album

Couldn?t agree more. Actually I discovered Dirty Day after seeing it on the video from Sydney, one of the highlights IMO. I love that video, I wish I had attended a concert like that.

------------------
Seu pa?s ? lindo. Seu povo ? lindo. Suas vozes s?o lindas. N?o esqueceremos voc?s. - Bono - S?o Paulo - 01/31/1998

I love the show too! One complaint:

Macphisto singing "Lemon" instead of "Ultraviolet" as they did at the earlier shows. And cutting "Trying to throw your arms" of course...

Originally posted by SkeeK:
DVD DVD DVD DVD DVD DVD DVD
!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1

I know, I wish they would release it on DVD!
mad.gif

------------------
But you take what you can get
'Cause it's all that you can find
Oh, you know there's something more
But tonight, tonight, tonight

(??.?(?*?.? ?.?*?)?.??)
?.???. *Monica*.???.?
(?.??(?.??* *??.?)??.)

Originally posted by U2 Lulu:
No argument here. Not only is it U2's best video it is *THE* best concert video ever by anyone in the history of the world. End of story.

But I prefer Popmart Live in Mexico City! I think that one is even better than Zoo TV. Oh well, the best concert video ever is at least a U2 concert video.

Marty (who's looking forward to the Elevation DVD)

------------------
People criticize me but I know it's not the end
I try to kick the truth, not just to make friends

Spearhead - People In Tha Middle

I heard somewhere that they cut some part out because Bono gave an underage fan some alcohol. Don't know if it's true. Could just be a rumor. Does anyone know if it's true or not?

Originally posted by u2utah:
I heard somewhere that they cut some part out because Bono gave an underage fan some alcohol. Don't know if it's true. Could just be a rumor. Does anyone know if it's true or not?

Hmmm, maybe. During "Trying to Throw..." Bono would open a champagne bottle and drink it while a female audience member would come onstage and film him and Edge with a handycam. Maybe in Sydney that night she was underage?

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom