And the Most Embarrassing Moment in U2 History is...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Bono's cat/monkey moves during An Cat Dubh on the Chicago DVD.

Definately his most embarrassing moment. Why put it onto DVD??? Why do it in the first place?!!

He used to be so cool!!:(

bono_man said:

Definately his most embarrassing moment. Why put it onto DVD??? Why do it in the first place?!!

LOL... agreed.

As I think about it though, the reason Bono has so many embarrassing moments is the same reason he has so many cool moments -- he "goes" for the really cool move all the time, and he's human, so he's never going to nail all of them. And fans demand that he always be cool, which means he's under pressure to constantly redefine cool. Sometimes he nails them ("the sky over our head / we can reach it from our bed") and others (going on Oprah) are just lame and cheezy...

Wouldn't call U2 , but Bono's moments

ponkine said:
Feb3_FlagU2BonoJacketSuperBowl.jpg

Not Trying to get into politics , but yeah that was embarassing , to not say anothe thing

Or Bono's speech before RTSS in Chicago

Aww, c'mon, I've seen worse. Try to remember, he wore that jacket shortly after 9/11. He was just showing the US some love. Hardly anything embarassing.

MrPryck2U said:
Aww, c'mon, I've seen worse. Try to remember, he wore that jacket shortly after 9/11. He was just showing the US some love. Hardly anything embarassing.

I agree. He's worn jackets and draped himself with the flags of other countries - not just the United States. A few recent ones that come to mind are Brazil, Buenos Aires, Ireland and Australia. I guess those countries are okay - but the U.S.? That's going too far. :rolleyes:

Last edited:
bono_man said:

Definately agree. Watch WOWY from Rattle and Hum then watch this...there is definately a "coolness gradient" that was breached somewhere between these two performances.

~A.j.~

Bono's cat movements during An Cat Dubh? One of the sexiest bits! :drool:

What about when they aired a Popmart special on ABC, and it ended up being the lowest rated program in ABC's history? Whoops.

SpaceOddity said:

I agree. He's worn jackets and draped himself with the flags of other countries - not just the United States. A few recent ones that come to mind are Brazil, Buenos Aires, Ireland and Australia. I guess those countries are okay - but the U.S.? That's going too far. :rolleyes:

Let's see Ireland is his country .....

And Brazil , Argentina not Buenos Aires , BA the last time I heard wasn't a country , and Australia were all countries that didn't have the chance to see a u2 show in 8 years

Last edited:
That A Year in Pop special aired on a Saturday night, that's why nobody was watching. If ABC gave a shit about the show, it would've aired it during the week when more people are at home watching tv.
I think embarassing would be when the big giant lemon didn't open up. That's a total Spinal Tap moment.

Are you fucking serious???!!! lol

Those cat/monkey moves are sooooo stupid!! There is no way you can call them cool/sexy/anything positive whatsoever. I just dont see how they are sexy at all.

He behaves like an ape!!

Really, really, really embarrassing...

The "boomcha" at the end of Discotheque.

Destroyer of a decent, rocking tune.

Waster of a fine guitar riff.

Moldy cheese and a piece of day old dog shit had a kid.

Thy name is "boomcha."

All of the Pop outfits ... Edge's Pop mustache :cringes: ... Adam in 2001 ... Bono's outfits up until 1985 ... Most of ATYCLB ... One with Mary J. Blige ... U2.com ... the list could go on.

Irvine511 said:

and yet ... it was poignant to some 300-odd million grieving people who appreciated the gesture.

... hate to bring it back up, but...

It made over 60,000 grown, football-loving men cry. It was a very powerful moment, and a moment many people needed at the time. I still credit Bono for single-handedly calming down a country that needed it at the time.

I don't think we can point to something that fans might reasonably disagree about as being the band's most embarrassing moment. For example, I love rattle and hum, I love the boom-chas in discotheque, and I love the superbowl performance. PopMart Vegas, however, I can't imagine anybody disagreeing over. It was a low point. The only question is whether it was a complete unmitigated cringe-worthy disaster, or a more minor forgettable disaster. That gets my vote.

Earnie Shavers said:
Bono nearly ending U2 by blowing a flare off in his face in Sydney came close to taking the cake though.

He jumped like a little girl in Adelaide when he lit it and the sparks blew on him.

The look on his face, while amusing, was Quite Uncool.

becca_lyn said:
Would I be wrong if I said "Zooropa"? I really dislike that album, save a couple of songs.

WRONG WAY TURN BACK

I don't mind listening to the Vegas bootleg. It sounds alright. Maybe if i'd been there i would have seen it as embarassing.

One of the stories of U2 i tell all the time is Bono falling off the stage in Miami.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom