And the Most Embarrassing Moment in U2 History is...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Heavens, I forgot all about Bono's American flag jackets and the way he showed them off like that. That whole phase of his was a bit embarrassing.

coach said:
Popmart Oslo, when they where trapped in the Lemon

THIS IS Spinal Tap. amazing that movie was done long before. If you watch it, you could think they are mocking U2, but this is before rattle and hum even!!! This leads to an interesting question (were u2 aware of that movie while making rattle and hum?)

Yes they were. When Rattle and Hum came out they did a Radio interview with Radio 1, I think Ann Nightingale, and they were telling her that when they were at the Premiere of the movie Rattle and Hum they said when they watched the clip of them standing around the Elvis grave in Gracelands they definetly felt a "Spinal Tap" moment.

Bono's cringe-worthy performance during An Cat Dubh on the Chicago DVD. Its not everyday you see a rock star doing a ape impersonation live on stage. This is definately the most I have been embarrassed by U2.

bono_man said:
Bono's cringe-worthy performance during An Cat Dubh on the Chicago DVD. Its not everyday you see a rock star doing a ape impersonation live on stage. This is definately the most I have been embarrassed by U2.

False.

Chris Martin.

That is all.

coldplay.jpg
60371673_0eb0b14f91_m.jpg

I think the Chicago DVD in general is something to be ashamed of. It in no way captures how brilliant the tour was. There were so many flaws, I could go on for days. For one, the cinematography is terrible and reminds me of that banned pokemon episode that caused seizures.

AtomicBono said:

notice how all the guys think that shirt is gay, but the girls are all "ooo i love that shirt!!!"

no self-respecting gay man would EVER be caught in that shirt.

:tsk:

only a straight man could F-up fashion so terribly.

Last edited:
AtomicBono said:

:lmao:

notice how all the guys think that shirt is gay, but the girls are all "ooo i love that shirt!!!"

I'm female, and I thought that shirt was a monstrosity! It offends my eyes. Makes me wonder who's in charge of dressing the poor man. And that other frilly pink one. Good lord, the humanity. :huh:

bono_man said:

That is a HUGE one for me. I can barely bring myself to watch that segment, I get all embarassed for him.

god i CANNOT believe nobody said this...

Adam missing out on a Zoo TV show over a hangover!

bono_man said:

TOTALLY agree! Poor Bono looks like a total idiot. Also, in a few live performances of ABOY, when Bono freaks out with the tambourine during Edge's guitar solo... it's really quite frightening to watch. Again, he looks like some wild ape. I think he did it on the Conan show, and a couple other places.

europop2005 said:
god i CANNOT believe nobody said this...

Adam missing out on a Zoo TV show over a hangover!

Is that really an embarrassment though? He missed one show out of how many has he played over the years -- I think that's a pretty good record.

Amongst other things...

Larry breaking his snare stand during a show on the October Tour in the States (Boston?) and Bono completely losing it and charging at him. Larry reportedly jumped up and ran off. The crowd thought it was part of the show theatrics, but Bono was actually going to hit him!!

rjhbonovox said:

Yes they were. When Rattle and Hum came out they did a Radio interview with Radio 1, I think Ann Nightingale, and they were telling her that when they were at the Premiere of the movie Rattle and Hum they said when they watched the clip of them standing around the Elvis grave in Gracelands they definetly felt a "Spinal Tap" moment.

I know the interview you mean, I have it somewhere on cassette. It wasn't with Ann Nightingale, it was with a guy, who is now dead (not Tommy Vance or John Peel), but I can't think of his name right now. That was a good interview.

indra said:

Is that really an embarrassment though? He missed one show out of how many has he played over the years -- I think that's a pretty good record.

I'd agree with you on that. And I was reading the U2 by U2 book, and Edge missed one gig, but it was a small one from their early days, and Bono took over on guitar. hehehee

Actually for a rock band, missing 1 gig isn't really seen as that big a deal, some singers walk off the stage and don't come back for awhile, I've seen some whacky stuff on Vh1 and youtube.

"Shocking moments in rock"

Perhaps it would've been more embarrassing on a personal level for Adam, for him to go onstage completely wasted, falling over, having little to no motor control, but in the rock world, pretty usual.

/////////////////////////

I did read about Bono's pants ripping. That'd be pretty embarrassing.

Larry looks really embarrassed in the Discotheque video, which makes it all the more funnier.

ultravioletluvv said:
Also, in a few live performances of ABOY, when Bono freaks out with the tambourine during Edge's guitar solo... it's really quite frightening to watch. Again, he looks like some wild ape. I think he did it on the Conan show, and a couple other places.
Ahem:

bonodancexs6.gif

This is the sole reason why, when I see that man pick up a tambourine, I go: "Oh no. That means he's gonna dance. :|"

DreamOutLoud13 said:

:lol: Oh you have to love that man!

I personally think its pretty embarrising on one of the NYC vertigo bootlegs when Bono has a rant at a fan for using his phone..but not the most embarrising!

partygirlvox said:
I personally think its pretty embarrising on one of the NYC vertigo bootlegs when Bono has a rant at a fan for using his phone..but not the most embarrising!

what makes it even funnier (in a hypocritical sort of way) is that at every show he asks people to take out their phones and use them

coemgen said:
I'm still trying to get over the fact they just did a song with Green Day. :|

And Mary J. Blige earlier in the year. :|

The two worst collaborations of U2's entire career. Though the Willie Nelson one wasn't great either and butchered an otherwise beautiful song.

Axver said:

And Mary J. Blige earlier in the year. :|

The two worst collaborations of U2's entire career. Though the Willie Nelson one wasn't great either and butchered an otherwise beautiful song.

I dont know, I think the New Day collaboration with Wycelf could be the worst.

Chizip said:

what makes it even funnier (in a hypocritical sort of way) is that at every show he asks people to take out their phones and use them

Yes, but for a different reason, not yapping on your phone while you're at a live concert.

Westport: agreed. What were they thinking?

U2girl said:

Yes, but for a different reason, not yapping on your phone while you're at a live concert.

the guy used his phone to take a picture, which evvvvverybody does

bono went a little overboard

I agree he overreacted and he probably thought the guy was talking on the phone (btw didn't he also apologise later?).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom