And I thought WE waited a long time in line!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Mrs. Edge

Bono's Belly Dancing Friend
I just heard on TV that Star Wars fans have now started to wait in line in LA for the movie's premiere 4 months ahead of time!!!!!

Much and all as I am a huge Star Wars fan, that in my very humble opinion, is INSANITY!!!!!

that's crazy.

------------------
)|( Vande )|(

"Rock 'n' roll is a term that's been heavily abused. It's not
something you can buy in a record shop. It's an attitude." -Adam

"And I wear grey underwear." -Bono

Everyday can be a beautiful day. Don't let it get away.

Love,
Emily

Visit my webpage for U2 wallpapers:
www.geocities.com/springtime5348/index.html

It?s cold outside, but brightly lit...

Originally posted by madonna's child:
that's crazy.

especially cause this Star Wars is gonna be crap. At least Elevation was quality!

------------------
And your earth moves beneath
Your own dream landscape

You can dream, so dream out loud!

"The way to be optimistic is not to shut your eyes and close your ears." -Bono

Create Light, Create Unity, Create Joy, CREATE PEACE!

Oh I heard about it happening last time (Phantom Menace). That's so funny. I wish I had a car to go drive out there and laugh at them.

------------------
Long live the lemon!!!

id probably go there and push them and make fun of them.

then in turn, theyd make fun of me for wasting my life at interference for nearly two years.

theyd win the arguement or at least come in a close second.

------------------
-death bear

Originally posted by Mrs. Edge:
I just heard on TV that Star Wars fans have now started to wait in line in LA for the movie's premiere4 months ahead of time

I think I'm interpreting this wrong...does it really mean that people are going to spend four months waiting outside the place the premiere is being held at?

I can't stay in the same place longer than a few hours. Imagine staying somewhere for FOUR MONTHS. Wow. I think I'd lose my mind.

I, uh, admire their dedication though.

Is it cold in LA this time of year? Or is that one of those wonderful places that doesn't force it's inhabitants to wear eighteen layers of wooly jumpers and stuff hot water bottles down their pants just to keep from freezing to death?

I saw these guys on the news. They were set up on their corner sitting on small leather chairs with a small table to hold supplies, all bundled up...they said this is a "project" that they are running on a website: what it is like to wait for something. So if your unemployed...

They're gonna smell pretty bad by the time the movie starts.

------------------
Look what you did, you little JERK!

Kevin! You're such a disease!

Originally posted by DebbieSG:
I saw these guys on the news. They were set up on their corner sitting on small leather chairs with a small table to hold supplies, all bundled up...they said this is a "project" that they are running on a website: what it is like to wait for something. So if your unemployed...

yeah i heard about this. they claim this is a project of human self expression in some way. whatever.

star trek rules

------------------
i was born for your magazine
i am trapped in the society page of your magazine

I've never been into Star Wars...not my type of thing.

------------------
I've been walking Central Park
Singing after dark
People think I'm crazy

Originally posted by ~LadyLemon~:

Same here! I don't get it! Its soooooo boring to me! I would kill myself I had to sit and watch that movie! :x

------------------
"Rhythm is the sex of music" - Edge

(??.?(?*?.? ?.?*?)?.??)
?.???. *Monica*.???.?
(?.??(?.??* *??.?)??.)

Originally posted by ~LadyLemon~:

Me neither.

And lining up 4 MONTHS early?

Wow! I wish I had that much time on my hands!
rolleyes.gif

------------------
"Baby...can we still be friends?"

Yeha, I'd rather watch Goodfellas for the 500th time--that's more like it!
smile.gif

------------------
I've been walking Central Park
Singing after dark
People think I'm crazy

You know, if they showed up the morning of the opening night, they'd still be the first in line.

Yeah, these two particular guys are nuts, but I think that's not a bad thing. There not just waiting in line; they're doing a silly, high-profile stunt to make the news and break some record, which people have been doing for years.

(There's something fun in doing things REALLLLLLY over-the-top.)

That said, this movie may require standing in line, assuming you want to see the first showing from a good seat. The movie premieres on a Wednesday, and probably includes a midnight premiere on Tuesday night. Depending on the city, I would say that the first fans might get in line as early as Monday morning - MAYBE even Sunday.

Finally, I do suggest seeing the "big" movies as soon as they're released, at least within the first two weeks, generally within the first two or three days. There are many reasons to see a movie in the theater - the big screen, the digital sound, the popcorn - making going to the movies an event, an experience. For me, being in a crowd of people as anxious to see the film as I am makes the expierence that much more memorable.

I really like the "Star Wars" movies and I disagree that this upcoming film will "stink" (I think it will be far better than Episode 1).

However, I find it insane to wait for a film. Waiting for concert tickets is different as the tickets do sell out. If you miss getting one, you may miss your chance of seeing your favorite band in your city. However, a movie will play for weeks and weeks. It's not like it will play for one day only and then "disappear." This "Star Wars" film will run through July at the premiere theaters, and then through August, if not September, at the cheap theaters.

In other words, there's plenty of time to see it. I don't understand the rational of being the very first one to see a film - after all, who can you talk to about it? To reiterate, as much as I like "Star Wars" these people are insane.

I overheard Regis and Kelly talking about it this morning I think... I think that's what it was. They were saying things like "What would happen if the theatre people came out when the movie opened and said they'd be starting with the other end of the line?!" My brother was cracking up and I had to tell him that's not funny.

Is this a joke? Is this project really on how easy it is to fool national media?

------------------
Laura
~~~
Something to do with politics, kids, freshness, and breakthrough.
And love.

(Joan Baez)
~~~

....what's a Bono?

"especially cause this Star Wars is gonna be crap. At least Elevation was quality!"

Good. Judge a film four months before ANYONE has seen it. Very mature, very intelligent.

"star trek rules"

I say this a very big DS9 fanatic, but no, it doesn't. At very least, not any more.

The last movie, Insurrection, was a mediocre film that was lukewarmly recieved. It was the most recent example of the "Odd Number Curse", in which odd-numbered Trek films are generally not that good - The Motion Picture had little action, plot, characterization, or meaningful dialogue while Star Trek V was one of the worst films ever released.

The last full series, Voyager, was poorly written and poorly acted (with the notable exception of Robert Picardo); lukewarm ratings, reviews, and fan reactions demonstrate my point. I'll admit, being "lost in space", away from home and the safety of Starfleet, is a great concept, but the Voyager staff ruined it. While the concept called for long-term consequences, they created stand-alone episodes that invariably hit the metaphorical "Reset Button." The concept required deep characterization, and we got 1-D characters like Harry Kim. The concept suggested stories involving a genuine reflection on isolation, and we got Jeri Ryan wrestling the Rock. Simply put, the Paramount execs were far too concerned with immediate ratings to create anything worth watching.

Oh, and the final Voyager episode sucked. The elder Janeway had no real motivation, and her actions weren't the least bit logical. I could drive a Borg cube through the episode's plot holes. And the actual final act removed all tension (by allowing the crew to "have their cake and eat it too") and closed too quickly, never allowing us to see the consequences of the crew's return. It was "sound and fury, signifying nothing."

The new series, Enterprise - because we apparently need a fifth series, mere months after Voyager - shows little more promise. There is even less a regard for continuity, as the writers mischaracterize the Vulcans and can't even decide whether the new technology works (apparently the transporter and universal translator work great, unless the writers need them to suddenly and inexplicably go on the fritz). The stories aren't exactly intriguing analyses of the human condition. And, just like Voyager, the attractive chick in the catsuit can't act.

In addition, the books do not sell well outside of the established fanbase, the comic books are unreliably produced, and the computer games simply aren't that great.

I believe that there is a time when a sci-fi franchise dominates the subculture, and this simply isn't Star Trek's time. Star Wars, Tolkien, Harry Potter, Marvel Comics, Batman comics, and Farscape are - generally - better crafted and better recieved by both the sci-fi subculture and the public in general.

(Again, as a fan, I think it would serve the creators' best interest to let Trek rest a while, recover from Voyager, and let the Tolkien and Star Wars trilogies pass.)

"Same here! I don't get it! Its soooooo boring to me! I would kill myself I had to sit and watch that movie!"

If I may, I believe you are simply reacting to the fanaticism of fans such as myself. I also think that people should try new things before judging them so harshly. After all, I sat through Titanic before passing judgment that it was an overbudgeted chick flick for teenage girls.

And if Star Wars is anything, it isn't boring. There is war, romance, political intrigue, swordfights, gunfights, aerial dogfights, personal struggle, and the epic battle between good and evil.

Rent the original Star Wars (a/k/a "A New Hope") and see for yourself. At the very least, if you still don't like it, you can say that you watched it, rather than pass judgment from your preconceptions and misconceptions.

(And if Star Wars is boring, I'd love to know what films are exciting.)

Finally, my take on the guys in Seattle:

Yes, it is indeed true (and apparently possible), as seattlestarwars.com attests.

Waiting so long for a movie is a bit silly, but in an age where fifteen minutes of fame are both attainable and desired, it's expected. They got the results they wanted (we're talking about it), and it's far better than doing anything self-destructive, like airing one's dirty laundry on Jerry Springer, or destructive to others, like killing somebody in a strange and unique way.

Ultimately, most of us go a little overboard with our passions - standing in line for hours or traveling hundreds of miles to see a U2 concert (hell, I met people in Miami who came from Europe to see U2's first Elevation show). Others are on waiting lists for football season tickets, others have box after box of baseball cards, others write fan-fiction.

Most of this stuff is harmless, and the only difference between these guys and some of us is the object (Star Wars and U2). Don't criticize unless you're clearly much more sensible.

Back
Top Bottom