An Open Invitation to Flaming

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Miggy D said:

What connects Vertigo to AMAAW? You can skip through HTDAAB and think 'good song, good song, good song' but I don't think the whole album takes you anywhere. AB, for me, does. It takes me to another place. It's like reading a story, with a start and a finish. HTDAAB, though it is a great album with many good and great songs, does not do that for me.

-Miggy

Ahhh subjective criticism ... in the words of my favorite Lit professor, "Your thoughts are worth an 'F'".

What connects Streets with Trip through your wires?

Miggy D said:

I was in the heat of the moment, and forgot to put paragraph breaks. I'm 22.

And oh yeah, go to hell. I never understand why some people have to be such jerks. I thought I made some fairly valid points, and this guy decides to insult me. And I actually liked MrBrau. Now, not so much.

-Miggy D

Um, hello, Mr. Jumps to conclustions, I wanted to know how old you were in relation to Reggies post about AB being quite a shock after waiting 3 years since R&H. If you were old enough to buy AB on November 18th, 1991, you'd understand what he was talking about. If you we're young enough to buy AB, Zooropa, and Pop all in one trip to the store, you can't understand. See?

Miggy D said:
The songs on HTDAAB, when it comes right down to it, are far too easily accessible. Why is Achtung, Baby my favorite U2 album of all time? It took me a month before I loved it. In fact, I nearly hated it upon first listening. It grew on me, and songs that grow are far deeper and have far more lasting power than songs that are immediate. Songs that are immediate use up all of their 'bang' on the initial listen, whereas songs that grow simmer for a long, long time.

-Miggy

AB is a grand contradiction IMO. On the one hand you have 'industrial' U2, on the other you have some of the most commercial, blatently radio friendly, songs they have ever recorded :

EBTTRT,
WGRYWH,
UV,
MW,
TTTYAATW.

The contrast between the two is the main reason why I don't think AB works...

You know AB is not much different than HTDAAB in terms of what U2 was trying to do. Basically U2 had seen the trend towards dance and industrial music. So they basically handed the reigns over to Mr. Eno and said "have at it". Sure Lanois was a bit confused, but those insightful bastards of U2 were one step ahead of him.

But really, like HTDAAB they were trying to relevant and stay in the moment. I agree with Miggy that maybe HTDAAB isn't as "cohesive" as AB, but it certainly makes you think, tap your feet, and rock and that my friend is what U2 is all about.

Reggie Thee Dog said:
You know AB is not much different than HTDAAB in terms of what U2 was trying to do. Basically U2 had seen the trend towards dance and industrial music. So they basically handed the reigns over to Mr. Eno and said "have at it". Sure Lanois was a bit confused, but those insightful bastards of U2 were one step ahead of him.

But really, like HTDAAB they were trying to relevant and stay in the moment. I agree with Miggy that maybe HTDAAB isn't as "cohesive" as AB, but it certainly makes you think, tap your feet, and rock and that my friend is what U2 is all about.

reggie you sly ..........

son of a bitch. See you thought I was gonna say "dog" didn't you? Well I'm an artist. I gotta keep you guessing.

HTDAAB SUXSSSSSS!

i got the dvd set when it came out and i just gave it to a friend(today). i did not even bother burning it on cd!!!!!!! so by by htdaab!!!!!!!!!!!!!u2s best work is in the past!!!!!!!!!
now all they can do is make some pop tunes!!!

mark my words THE VERTIGO tour will not be as good of a rock show as ZOOTV!!!!!!!!

atyclb sucked and so does htdaab
thats two crap albums!!!!!!!!! its over for u2 as a rock band!!!!!!!!!

shaun vox said:
HTDAAB SUXSSSSSS!

i got the dvd set when it came out and i just gave it to a friend(today). i did not even bother burning it on cd!!!!!!! so by by htdaab!!!!!!!!!!!!!u2s best work is in the past!!!!!!!!!

mark my words THE VERTIGO tour will not be as good of a rock show as ZOOTV!!!!!!!!

yes it is very much over isnt it..... hmmm lets see still number 1 in the UK whats that 3 weeks? longest time U2 have spent at the top of the album charts.... still number 2 if the US and selling bucket loads i have heard, so yes it is very much over for U2, get a life and stop thinking just because you dont like it, everyone else feels the same

shaun vox said:
HTDAAB SUXSSSSSS!

That funny, you were singing the album's praises not 2 weeks ago..

hehe :)

DaveC said:
yes, the flames are going to come fast and furious on this one.

but to be honest...i don't think HTDAAB is all that great. i mean, sure, when it first came out, i exclaimed that it's the best thing since AB and that it's one of my top 3 or 4 U2 albums, but that was because of the newness, the excitement.

and sure, i played my copy non-stop for weeks after i got it.

but now i think it's merely mediocre. sure, there are some good songs on there, but they seem just all randomly thrown together, the production is wicked bad on some of them, and overall i just don't find anything that really excites me anymore.

i'd put this one now, after having the novelty wear off, at slightly above the level of October, about where Zooropa is.

i just think the parts do not add up to a great sum. :shrug:

*puts on fire-retardant suit*

Without reading the two pages of this thread, i must say i TOTALLY AGREE with you. Especially with the October/Zooropa comparison.

i don't.

it's good, but it's not great.

the only thing that approaches greatness on this record is City of Blinding Lights.

KUEFC09U2 said:
so you dont class sometimes you cant make it on your own as great?

hm... well, i know it's a great song, probably one of their best, but it just doesn't hit me. I fell like it should (my sister loves it), but it just doesn't. And Miracle Drug was at first one of my favourite songs of all their catalogue, but now i see it's getting a little worn-out...:ohmy:
So, that leaves me with ABOY, a pretty good rocker, LAPOE, good experiment with bad production...
All this is just personal opinion, so i'm not trying to be objective...

MrBrau1 said:

Um, hello, Mr. Jumps to conclustions, I wanted to know how old you were in relation to Reggies post about AB being quite a shock after waiting 3 years since R&H. If you were old enough to buy AB on November 18th, 1991, you'd understand what he was talking about. If you we're young enough to buy AB, Zooropa, and Pop all in one trip to the store, you can't understand. See?

I take back what I said, then. Apologies. You have to admit though, when you quote someone's entire post and then write 'How old are you?' without adding any sort of context, it DOES seem like a cut. Unfortunately, it's a limitation of the internet - I couldn't read the inflection in the question. Thanks for clearing that up, man.

-Miggy

shaun vox said:
HTDAAB SUXSSSSSS!

Just for the record, what U2 albums do you like? Most ATYCLB/Bomb bashers are big Pop buddies but you being a hard rocking leather pants type of guy you don't strike me as someone who'd dig Pop. What do you like?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom