an how to dismantle review i found within comments of a blog

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

popsadie

Acrobat
...I have an advance copy of the album, one of the perqs of reviewing music for Paste Magazine. No, I can't make copies, so please don't ask. It's nothing personal. There's just this nasty little copy protection doothingy embedded with my name and a refenence to my copy of the album, which would be a dead giveaway, and I'd prefer to not make my next posting from jail. :)

But I really, really like this album. It's a return to the straightforward, no frills rock of the early albums Boy, October, and War. The band sounds 20 years younger, and fully rejuvenated. And these songs rock. Longtime producer Daniel "I Can Ruin Any Album I Touch" Lanois, master of intrusive sonic gauze, is nowhere to be found, having been replaced by Steve Lilywhite, who produced the early albums. And anybody who's been wondering why Bono is so reticent about his faith (I'm not one of them, but those folks are out there), had better sit up and take notice. This is how to do it. This is how to make a rock 'n roll album that will appeal to the masses and not compromise one's Christian faith. Dare I say it? This might be the best U2 album yet.

I jumped on the U2 bandwagon with the release of Boy back in 1980. And although every album has its good-to-great moments, I really prefer the early albums. I thoroughly dislike the Lanois/Eno production values that, IMO, have "plagued" the band for, what, twenty years now. When you have one of the greatest and most distinctive guitarists in the world, why would you want to tone him down and, pardon the pun, take off the edge?

In any event, this album has restored my faith in U2. They just may be the best rock 'n roll band in the world. Again.

thanks for posting this. Appreciated :wink:

Damn, another good review. This is getting to good to be true. With the Q magazine article (which was brilliant), I dont know how much longer I can hold off.

This person can make copies and not get busted. Can they not play the music and "record" it on a microphone, or some program that can capture the audio stream??

It may not be the perfect quality, but it would be pretty darn good.

Well, if copies are being sent out to reviewers now, it won't be long before it leaks to the Internet.

Just a little while longer, folks.

AussieU2fanman said:
haha Ax, you're almost as desperate as I am for a leak!

That could be taken in so many bad ways. You better go, mate.

popsadie said:
. Longtime producer Daniel "I Can Ruin Any Album I Touch" Lanois, master of intrusive sonic gauze, is nowhere to be found, having been replaced by Steve Lilywhite, who produced the early albums.

Definitely exciting, but I disagree with this statement. Lanois was involved with some of U2's most known albums, not to mention the two best ones.

(this reviewer also doesn't seem to know that Lanois spent a week listening to material, and some songs on the new album are leftovers - Love and peace or else and Original of the species like the Q article says - from ATYCLB, where *sic* Lanois was involved.)

Last edited:
this reviewer totally lost my respect when it came to his comments about Daniel Lanois. Aside from being one of the greatest producers of his time, he is also one of the most talented musicians of the past 20 years. I'm afraid i can't take this review seriously now. :madspit:

I like Lanois and I'm looking to buy his past albums. I love his work with EmmyLou Harris... With that said, I can see/ understand his point of view... IMO ATYCLB suffered a little bit of that taking the Edge off of Edge thing. However, my two favorite albums were produced by Lanois and company. Different strokes for different folks...

There are ways around the copy protection thingy he spoke of. He could record the album to analog cassette, then record back into a PC, and distribute MP3's. Or he could record to minidisc, using analog setting, then import that to PC. Very easy. Hopefully, someone will do this, and we'll see the album soon.

Last edited:
There are TONS of ways around the copy protection - and it doesn't have to be recording to analog at all. However, they would require a tiny bit of work by this person and he/she might not have the desire, technical ability or necessary software to make .mp3 files of the songs. So be it - not sure if I would either (as it is illegal).

I also disagree with the Lanois comments, but so be it. However, based on "Vertigo" alone, one could tell immediately that this album will be reminiscent of U2's sound on the first 3 albums - and that's not a bad thing!

That said, it gets me wondering what happened to all of those Chris Martin productions. Were they all scrapped? Will we get to hear some as b-sides? Will there someday be an "alternative" version of songs?

u2ulysses said:
That said, it gets me wondering what happened to all of those Chris Martin productions. Were they all scrapped? Will we get to hear some as b-sides? Will there someday be an "alternative" version of songs?

Chris Martin has just produced an Apple, that should be enough for him (unless he gets a cold and plays :p).
As for the songs recorded while Chris Thomas was producing, who knows? :shrug:

:tongue:

Marty

MrBrau1 said:
There are ways around the copy protection thingy he spoke of. He could record the album to analog cassette, then record back into a PC, and distribute MP3's. Or he could record to minidisc, using analog setting, then import that to PC. Very easy. Hopefully, someone will do this, and we'll see the album soon.

NO!!!

That is completely illegal and breaks the trust with the band!!

It would also fuck up up the whole release schedule.

Just wait like everybody else you impatient cretins.

Last edited:
Cant quite agree with the comments made about Eno & Lanois. Their best albums have been made with these two Achtung Baby & Joshua Tree. Always think that the first 3 albums were not of that high quality. And as Adam Clayton once said "he only counts the U2 albums from Joshua Tree onwards, up to that point they were just practising", thats what he said on the Year in pop documentary, I think, but he said it anyway sometime in the 90's.

TC2290 said:

NO!!!

That is completely illegal and breaks the trust with the band!!

It would also fuck up up the whole release schedule.

Just wait like everybody else you impatient cretins.

its going to be leaked sometime.

I remember hearing the ENTIRE AB album 2 weeks before it's release in 91, on the radio. That'll never happen again. Thanks internet.

Sorry but I don't think the person who claims he has heard the album is true at all...he hasn't described any of the tracks...what a load of rubbish...

Security on advance copies of the album is very tight and I doubt very much whether a ton of promo copies will be sent out at this stage...

Refer to the NME magazine review which states that only 2 copies exist in the UK, and journalists are invited to hear it, but not left with a copy to take away...

I think promo copies are out now, especially for magazine reviews. A review written today wouldn't be published for 4-6 weeks, or the pubs December issue, perfect timing for the album release.

Last edited:
I think Daniel Lanois is one of the best and most sought after producers in the world. I think his involvement in this project is more so than we in the "uniformed speculation" world know.

IMO

Back
Top Bottom